Chia - super food or not?

Options
Hi all

yes i know today is still February, I am looking forward to the next month March and have set myself a challenge as to what can I do to achieve my personal goals.

Whilst googling around I came accross an article that raved about the health benefits aof adding Chia seeds to your daily food intake, and having seen the local fresh bread bakeries all raving about chia bread I thought I'd do some research. It turns out Chia is an ancient Aztec super food......

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/chia-ancient-super-secret

Wow I read on and thought well what will this do for me .....Hunger cravings some nights after excercise I get the munchies so bad......and once I start cant stop picking at snacks

So fir the next month I am going to add 1 teaspoon of chia seeds to my breakfast and 1 teaspoon in a drink before dinner and I'll see how I go

I'll weigh in tomorrow at the gym and carry on with my current planned programme

Does anyone else want to try this out and see how we go?

Replies

• stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i add chia seeds to my yogurt most mornings. people talk about how great they are for filling you up, but i don't feel satisfied for longer on days i use chia seeds. i mainly take them for the omega 3 fats.
  • jessabender
    jessabender Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree, I do not feel fuller longer when i use Chia seeds, I use them simply for the health benefits.
  • Bonnieskitchen
    Options
    I read a lot of great things about Chia seeds as well then I went looking and saw how pricey they are. Very comparible to Flax seeds however richer in omegas than Flax. What I ended up doing was scoring a bag at Winners for cheap. I have been adding Chia seeds to things that I make like; Granola, oatmeals, salads, in smoothies. Basically I put them everywhere. Like the previous comment I dont feel that it is surpressing my appitite however the health benefits alone are very good. Chia seeds are a super food so regardless it will pack a more powerful punch in the nutrition end of things and make your calories count. Also it helps to slow the digestion of carbs too to help sustain you longer energy wise but like I said before I do not feel like it is staying my appitite any, but perhaps it is and i wouldn't know cause I am not eating more haha and I otherwise could be :P
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've been putting chia seeds (1Tb) in my morning oatmeal for a couple of years. It doesn't make me feel fuller; I do it for the Omega 3s and fiber boost.

One teaspoon isn't going to be enough to make a difference; you might try a couple of tablespoons and see if that has an effect.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I heard they make great pets.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So . . .

I am a few days in and I have adjusted up and now take 4 teaspoons with my yoghurt and fruit, and whilst I don't feel full for longer I have to say I am not as hungry, although when hunger hits it hits hard. In the last few days I have to say I am feeling sharper and clearer in my general outlook....could this be the chia helping cleanse me due to the high fibre , I dont know I plan to keep going and see where it takes me.

thanks for all the posts and replies gives me something to think about
  • XRavenhood
    XRavenhood Posts: 102
    Options
    Just stick to ground flax seeds - They've got loads of nutrients and fiber and they are CHEAP, compared to chia seeds. Just make sure you grind them (in a coffee grinder or blender) or else they'll just slip through your system.