Skinny is overrated...please eat (CONCERNED RANT!)

Options

Replies

• renitawalker9
    Options
    Well, I just have to say... I've always hated that quote, because, well, NOTHING feels worse than being hungry all. of. the. time.

This is becoming my favorite quote of all time:

"Eat the food. Eat it. You have a right to not exist in a state of semi-starvation. You have a right to be strong and healthy and have opinions and enough energy and mental bandwidth to stand up for yourself. You have a right to have a body that takes up space and makes a statement of presence and strength when you walk into a room (if that is what you want). You have a right to live to your fullest potential, and to pursue more meaningful goals than conforming to an aesthetic ideal. And it starts with finally allowing yourself to eat enough food to be healthy and strong and not HUNGRY all the time."

– gokaleo.com

Wonderful quote.

:drinker:
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    They might not be entering all their food...just a thought.

You can delete friends. I'm pretty sure if they are undereating by that much, they're doing it on purpose and not much we can really do about it.

I don't look at peoples' food diary unless they ask a specific question, and I don't comment on food or exercise in my feed.

Sometimes I look when the status comes up in the feed "Person x completed their diary and was under their goal." I guess I'll stop looking.

^^^ kinda harsh.. what if they dont eat back their exercise cals and that "puts them under their calorie goal"
  • renitawalker9
    Options

You can delete friends. I'm pretty sure if they are undereating by that much, they're doing it on purpose and not much we can really do about it.

I don't look at peoples' food diary unless they ask a specific question, and I don't comment on food or exercise in my feed.

Sometimes I look when the status comes up in the feed "Person x completed their diary and was under their goal." I guess I'll stop looking.

^^^ kinda harsh.. what if they dont eat back their exercise cals and that "puts them under their calorie goal"

I'm not trying to be harsh I'm genuinely concerned. I'm talking about people whose goal is only 1200 to begin with and they are logging 800.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Well, I just have to say... I've always hated that quote, because, well, NOTHING feels worse than being hungry all. of. the. time.

This is becoming my favorite quote of all time:

"Eat the food. Eat it. You have a right to not exist in a state of semi-starvation. You have a right to be strong and healthy and have opinions and enough energy and mental bandwidth to stand up for yourself. You have a right to have a body that takes up space and makes a statement of presence and strength when you walk into a room (if that is what you want). You have a right to live to your fullest potential, and to pursue more meaningful goals than conforming to an aesthetic ideal. And it starts with finally allowing yourself to eat enough food to be healthy and strong and not HUNGRY all the time."

– gokaleo.com

Wonderful quote.

This quote is a huge improvement over the other one.

I hate the idea that you can either have the food, OR be thin/fit. It's not true and it's not a good thought process.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

That one and the one about never eating treats because only dogs get to eat treats. I hate both of those quotes.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    It isn't always intentional to eat that little either. I have a fair number of days where I'm between 700 to 1000 calories. Even when I plan meals I just cant finish everything. I'm on pain medication, and it just really messes with my appetite.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    It isn't always intentional to eat that little either. I have a fair number of days where I'm between 700 to 1000 calories. Even when I plan meals I just cant finish everything. I'm on pain medication, and it just really messes with my appetite.

That's understandable as well. This is why I asked the question, because I just didn't want to believe that people are TRYING to eat such a small number of calories. So my summary of the situation is some are, some aren't and I should probably just mind my business.
  • LauraW1219
    LauraW1219 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get negative on someone's post, but some people don't have a gall bladder. Cause drama? Do it for attention? You do what works for you. People will say one thing then turn around and have another pay contradict what the other person said. I have to eat low, carb, low fat, and low sodium so I lose weight. So much judgment from people that say they don't want drama.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Again, I find myself confused here. Can you clarify if you are referring to net calories eaten (after exercise) or total calories eaten? I have only been here for a week and I always close my day 'under' goal, but mostly because I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories. I have always eaten the recommended 1250, and on my exercise days, I have eaten between 1400-1800.
  • madrose0715
    Options
    One of the quotes I see on here drives me up the wall. Something like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny looks." This is a totally pro-ana quote. I'm pretty sure I saw it on the pro-ana websites when I was doing a research paper.

That one and the one about never eating treats because only dogs get to eat treats. I hate both of those quotes.

About 15 years or more ago, I went to Weight Watchers - this was the leader's favourite catch-phrase at the weigh-ins!
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I personally would mind someone saying something, especially because mine occasionally dips really low, (and I honestly wish iI could eat more some days without feeling sick to my stomach) but if you see a person that is consistenly really low, maybe you can just bring it up subtly if youre really concerned. maybe "when i eat that few calories I get really hungry, do you have that problem?" or "I upped my calorie intake and am feeling healthier and/or losing weight more steadily" Something where they wont immediately go on the offensive.
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has suffered with an ED most of my life, MFP offers a way for me to manage my anxiety, feel like I'm in control and cope with my ED. I recently deleted all of my friends because it seemed like everyone was trying to lose weight, some women also had unhealthy, unrealistic goals. I found their logging and comments to be a terrible trigger for me.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    Again, I find myself confused here. Can you clarify if you are referring to net calories eaten (after exercise) or total calories eaten? I have only been here for a week and I always close my day 'under' goal, but mostly because I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories. I have always eaten the recommended 1250, and on my exercise days, I have eaten between 1400-1800.

total calories 800
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I don't want to get negative on someone's post, but some people don't have a gall bladder. Cause drama? Do it for attention? You do what works for you. People will say one thing then turn around and have another pay contradict what the other person said. I have to eat low, carb, low fat, and low sodium so I lose weight. So much judgment from people that say they don't want drama.

I'm not sure who said anything about drama or is causing it from your perception. I am just genuinely concerned about some of the people I see and my original question and goal here was to find out if people think its ok to say something or ask a question when people have consistently low calorie counts. And if you read through the posts you would see me being very understanding of people who have special circumstances and considerations I never thought of. So...I'm pretty sure I haven't caused any drama because I haven't said anything to anyone about their calorie count yet. You also probably missed the post where I said it is probably best to mind my own business.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Agreed, that saying makes me shudder. I also did a research paper which involved looking at those sites and that phrase is very very common, that and the similar "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

The first time I heard that phrase was when I joined WW back in 1988. Long before Kate Moss came on the scene. It was originally used as a way to stop and think before you ate something off plan. Yeah, that ice cream or whatever will taste good for a little while, but being skinny (which wasn't considered a bad thing back then) will feel better in the long run.
    Like anything, what started off as a good mantra to keep you on track, has apparently now become something bad.

Other sayings like- "a minute on the lips-a lifetime on the hips" were also popular.

Edited to delete portion.
  • madrose0715
    Options

total calories 800

Oh gosh. There is no way I could eat so little in a day! In fact, I think I like exercise so much just so I can eat more food, lol.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I ask them what their reasons for eating so low are.

Sometimes it's justified.

If they are just Starvin Marvin's - DELETE FRIEND

^^THIS! Although, I can't say much. Since I've gone primal/paleo, I'm having a really tough time hitting 1200 calories. I'm trying, though! It's just hard when you're eating nutrient rich meals and carbs that come from veggies. :drinker: (edited to add, I'm one of those with a decreased stomach capacity due to surgery, which makes it even more difficult because my meal sizes are limited)

I also tend to keep an eye on the friends of the person I'm friends with. If my friend completes their diary with only 600 or 700 calories and their friends are saying "great day" or "way to go," I question the types of people they are associating with (because obviously my support/advice is going to go against everything they believe in, so why bother?) As my mama used to say "you're judged by the company you keep" - and I want to be healthy like MY friends. :love:

I've done MFP before and wasn't particular about the friends I chose. This time, it's a whole new game.
  • renitawalker9
    Options

I have been sucked into 'Mom-mode" with a few young girls on here, and try to help them, but it doesn't seem to make a difference, and only ends in frustration for me, sadly.

Yes! Mom mode...
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Agreed.