Over 300 lbs.. should i weight train?

Options
So I have been told that it is completely ridiculous to think that I would bulk up from doing strength training but I have seen women at the gym with bulky arms and I don't think they are training for Miss Olympia. I fear that I'm too big to start out with that. I don't want to be flabby when its all said and done. Is there anything wrong with me wanting to lose most of the weight and then start weight training? I know I can start out with small weights but they are too light for me and I don't have time for a million reps. Please help/set me straight?

Replies

• futureshopaholic
    futureshopaholic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hmm this is something I worry too. My friend always wants to be in the weight room when I think cardio would be better work out for me. But at the same time, I think its a good thing to strengthen my legs and arms. Especially since they're like mush and are very weak. We probably won't develop muscle but it would make things easier like picking up semi heavy stuff, picking up kids, bending knee to switch laundry (that's the one that always kills me)
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    IMO......If your over 300 lbs I would say cardio is the way to go. Then once you built some endurance start incorporating weights to tone up.
  • sogoobtastic
    sogoobtastic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    IMO......If your over 300 lbs I would say cardio is the way to go. Then once you built some endurance start incorporating weights to tone up.
    thats what i thought too but the personal trainer at the gym told me to do some weights ugh... Lol
  • sogoobtastic
    Options
    Hmm this is something I worry too. My friend always wants to be in the weight room when I think cardio would be better work out for me. But at the same time, I think its a good thing to strengthen my legs and arms. Especially since they're like mush and are very weak. We probably won't develop muscle but it would make things easier like picking up semi heavy stuff, picking up kids, bending knee to switch laundry (that's the one that always kills me)
    ive definitely gained some muscle on the elliptical and stationary bike. Botb are good low impact
  • Ryan0523
    Ryan0523 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you might consider body weight exercises, it is a good foundation to start and you will build body strength without any weight. you can get a really good workout doing that for a while, and when your body starts to move easier and you are starting to find the exercises easier, start adding 5 lb dumbbells here and there. Basically you are looking for this basic setup.

Foam roller to loosen muscles/work out tightness
    Warmup stretches to get warmed up- your choice (waqll sit, Monster walks)
    Power exercise-
    like (Medicine ball chest toss) 5lb-15lb or med ball side toss against a wall and split jumps or squat jumps
    Strength-
    A push and a Pull- Body weight Rows(Pull) Pull downs(pull) Bench(Push) dumbell overhead press(Push) pushup(Push)
    Knee base-Walking lunges, squats ect
    Hip Base- Hip thrusts, one legged toe touch
    Conditioning/AB work/ arm work
    just pick some sprints, or sled pulls, or push ups, planks something to finish your workout off

this 2-3x a week and nutrition you will start to see results and notice you are moving a bit better and slowly getting stronger. you wont build bulky muscles either. This should only take you a hour out of your day, on your off days, walks are always good bike riding swimming =D. Just go off of this basic principle and research exercises that you like.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What do you do now for exercise?
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was going to start weight lifting and changed my mind and decided to wait until I was under 200 pounds first. I didn't start exercising at all until i lost the first 21 pounds. I'm just doing cardio right now, started two weeks ago. I'll get use to that and later after i've lost another 50 pounds start the weight lifting machines. Mostly i'm doing it this way because if i try to do too much too fast i'll never stick to anything.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • tators19
    tators19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200 and I'm doing cardio with weight training on just a few machines to keep my body symmetrical. Working out your arms and your back can only be a good thing. Listen to your trainer, they know what they're doing.
  • sogoobtastic
    Options
    you might consider body weight exercises, it is a good foundation to start and you will build body strength without any weight. you can get a really good workout doing that for a while, and when your body starts to move easier and you are starting to find the exercises easier, start adding 5 lb dumbbells here and there. Basically you are looking for this basic setup.

Foam roller to loosen muscles/work out tightness
    Warmup stretches to get warmed up- your choice (waqll sit, Monster walks)
    Power exercise-
    like (Medicine ball chest toss) 5lb-15lb or med ball side toss against a wall and split jumps or squat jumps
    Strength-
    A push and a Pull- Body weight Rows(Pull) Pull downs(pull) Bench(Push) dumbell overhead press(Push) pushup(Push)
    Knee base-Walking lunges, squats ect
    Hip Base- Hip thrusts, one legged toe touch
    Conditioning/AB work/ arm work
    just pick some sprints, or sled pulls, or push ups, planks something to finish your workout off

this 2-3x a week and nutrition you will start to see results and notice you are moving a bit better and slowly getting stronger. you wont build bulky muscles either. This should only take you a hour out of your day, on your off days, walks are always good bike riding swimming =D. Just go off of this basic principle and research exercises that you like.
  • fatgirljessica
    Options
    I'm gonna do both!
    Build muscle with weights and take off some fat with cardio!
    I am already bulky so if it turns to muscle that's fine.
    If I become muscle woman, I'll start in on more cardio..
    Muscle will help get all the fat off a lot quicker!
  • mudflatmabel
    mudflatmabel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Muscles burn fat, so why wouldn't you do weight training? I would also add what cardio you can, but there is no reason why you shouldn't focus on weight training. If the weight is too light, go for something heavier. You want to be fatigued by your last rep. Do the weight training every other day so you give your muscles a day to heal. When that gets too easy, add another set of reps. Don't over do it on the weight - you don't want to hurt yourself ! I was pumping iron when I was close to 300 pounds, so I say, Go For It! You will love feeling the muscles in you thighs develop, and know they are helping burn fat!
  • LadyConundra
    LadyConundra Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You should weight train. I'm not saying go and try and bench press 50 pounds. Start light, muscle burns more fat. I started out 260 and with a trainer. Best thing I ever did, if you can afford it get a trainer. I agree with Ryan 0523.
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am just over 300 pounds, I just started with some weights to help tighten up my arms a bit. Nothing heavy yet but I plan to go hardcore on the weights once I hit my goal of 250 lbs
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'll put it like this, if you are 300 pounds you are most likely going to end up with some seriously flabby arms. I speak from experience, would you rather have toned and slightly muscular (BTW at the gym you are seeing pumped up muscles, that's what happens AS you are lifting weights- earlier that day they would have looked simply toned) or giant bat wings?

I speak from experience and wish that I had know then what I know now.

Eat protein, a lot (I eat around 125g a day) so you don't lose what you have and YES, lift weights, heavy as you can for 8-10 reps, take a break for a minute and do it again.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy, and you won't have to do as many reps. Muscle burns more fat. I'd go for it!
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We probably won't develop muscle but it would make things easier like picking up semi heavy stuff, picking up kids, bending knee to switch laundry (that's the one that always kills me)

Simply not true. It doesn't matter if you weight 150 or 300 lbs, you can build muscle. You may not see it in the mirror as quickly at 300, but it will be there. Weight training, especially heavier weights, will help you to lose the weight faster. Try alternating, weights one day, cardio the next. Warning, if you really hit the weights, you may gain a couple of pounds at first, just water weight, all part of the process. Don't weigh yourself everyday, but maybe once a week. Even more important, don't focus on the scale, but on the way your clothes fit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you should try and lose weight/body fat first through deficit and moderate exercise.

However, you should definitely learn how to squat, deadlift, bench press, over head press, chin up/pull up etc...once you have these moves down build a total body program around them where you are hitting arms/legs/shoulders/back/ and do that three days a week. Mon - Wens - Fri - total body weight train; tues/thurs cardio; sat/sun off/active rest...

So perhaps...first four to six weeks -TDEE - 25% and light training (maybe circuit training)/cardio/learning technique for moves mentioned.
    After four to six weeks stay at TDEE - 25% but go to total body work out + cardio

Once you get to 20% body fat adjust program to maybe more lifting, less cardio or whatever your goals are at that point...

good luck to you ....
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Thanks. :blushing:

I started lifting at 125kgs (275lbs).

My body started changing really quickly, much quicker than the weight came off on the scales.

With lifting heavy, I honestly believe that I look smaller than my weight suggests.