Net calories

I am so lost when it comes to the net calories... My goal is set to 1200 calories for the day, I exercise and add about 500-900 calories a day.... Now that being said I am confused why I should eat back the exercise calories? Some days I find it hard to eat back the burned calories and end up with only like for example 777 net calories for the day... Other days I go over my net calories but I'm still stuck on a yo yo of lose 3 lbs and gain it back... Any input would be great good or bad I can take it I really could use some help from those who have gone through this and have figured it out. Thanks! My food log is open please feel free to look and share your op.

Replies

• to my knowledge, if you're trying to lose weight, you're not supposed to eat back the calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I am so lost when it comes to the net calories... My goal is set to 1200 calories for the day, I exercise and add about 500-900 calories a day.... Now that being said I am confused why I should eat back the exercise calories? Some days I find it hard to eat back the burned calories and end up with only like for example 777 net calories for the day... Other days I go over my net calories but I'm still stuck on a yo yo of lose 3 lbs and gain it back... Any input would be great good or bad I can take it I really could use some help from those who have gone through this and have figured it out. Thanks! My food log is open please feel free to look and share your op.

Because if you don't, your calorie deficit will be far too large. You don't want to have a 1000 calorie deficit in a single day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    to my knowledge, if you're trying to lose weight, you're not supposed to eat back the calories.

This is false. MFP is designed for you to still lose weight eating every single exercise calorie back, assuming that all of your estimations are accurate.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    to my knowledge, if you're trying to lose weight, you're not supposed to eat back the calories.

False. Your deficit is already built in (that's why the website adds calories when you exercise)... you need to eat them back to ensure your deficit is not too large.
  • o. ok. thank you for the information.