Is it worth all the hunger pain?

Options
I am finding it very hard keeping up with this diet. I seem to be always really hungry especially during the evenings. I been cheating a lot for the past few days. I Been thinking is it really worth all the hunger pains at this age, going to be 62 this July. :yawn:

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Frankly, no, it's not.

You are not eating enough!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    While I suspect it's not...What is your TDEE and BMR? (google TDEE myfitnesspal and BMR myfitnesspal) and see what the numbers say, versus what you're eating and then let the community make some suggestions.

also: your heigh/weight would help.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Overall, yeah, you're definitely not eating enough. I'd go crazy on 1200 or less a day!
    Depending on how much weight you need to lose, your weekly goal may be too aggressive. Figure out your TDEE and BMR and work out a more reasonable calorie goal that you can maintain. Or tweak your weekly weight loss goal on MFP to get a larger calorie allowance and eat back your exercise calories. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight. It doesn't have to be painful!
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey since Jan of '12. I have not felt hungry one minute of any day.

You must be doing something wrong.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you're following mfp's default guidelines, it's very probable you're not eating enough.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I don't normally care about what any one eats, but I just went through 4 days of your diary for the hell of it.

You ate McDonald's, Taco Bell, KFC, Carl's Jr, and other CRAP.

Eat some real food.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    While I suspect it's not...What is your TDEE and BMR? (google TDEE myfitnesspal and BMR myfitnesspal) and see what the numbers say, versus what you're eating and then let the community make some suggestions.

also: your heigh/weight would help.

I definitely agree with this. I had MFP on losing .5lb/week and was still losing more than that on the calories they gave me. You are definitely not eating enough! There is no reason for you to be consuming only 1200 calories a day and constantly hungry in the process of losing weight. I guarantee you can lose and eat a lot more than that. Find your numbers and then feel free to come back and ask suggestions on that :)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Set a reasonable goal... 1lb/week or even 1/2lb/week... then eat foods you prepare at home more often than not. You get way more bang for your buck as it were.
  • I don't do hunger pain. If my body tells me that I am actually hungry, I eat.
  • lissaloue
    lissaloue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Exactly, don't deny your body the nutrition it needs. Food is fuel for you!!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    No.
    It shouldn't (and doesn't need to) be painful. Occasional hunger is normal and even healthy. Hunger to the point of pain is not necessay. You need to eat more. Eat at least your BMR. You may need to eat less calorie-dense food to feel full. Or you may be missing some nutritional needs that cause the intense hunger. Are you getting enough protein?

Editing to Add (ETA):
    Just looked at your food diary. Why do you have your daily goal set to 1,200? You are eating WAY too many calorie-dense foods -- almost no vegetables, very low on fiber, too little protein. No wonder you feel awful! That's terrible for your body. Even if you lose weight with this technique, you are almost guaranteed to gain it back. And there is some evidence that yo-yo dieting is worse for your health than being overweight. Please read some of the guides here about loosing weight in a healthy way. If you haven't already found better guidance, I have listed links to a few good guides in http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The first three letters of diet spell DIE. . .there's a reason for that.

Moderation, moderation, moderation. Forget all that diet nonsense.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Try switching MFP to losing 0.5 lbs per week. You might find that more doable.

Also, what everybody else said.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    A man should not have a calorie goal as low as 1200 cal/day, that's simply not healthy. That's the low end, appropriate for a small woman. A man shouldn't be going below at least 1500-1600. And the foods you are eating are not particularly healthy or filling - you'll find you can eat a lot more if you eat lean proteins, and high-fiber vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. Junk food tends to be very high in calories for very little food.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't normally care about what any one eats, but I just went through 4 days of your diary for the hell of it.

Eat some real food.

Haha crap huh...people get hungry on fruit and vegies too for those not informed. If your hungry eat. Try to be healthy even if your easing into that style..you don't have to go cold turkey. Be realistic though...think about why you're making this change and assess your goals from there.

He did say he had been cheating the last few days
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your food diary as well. While I would be really surprised to find that 1200 calories is all you should be eating (Heck, I'm 60, female, 5"1" and sedentary and that's my calorie goal!!) I think you are really doing yourself a disservice by eating what you are eating. The foods you have had for the last few days are really calorie dense - that means you are getting a lot of calories in not much food - no wonder you are hungry! Try lean meats and fish, whole grain foods, vegetables and fruits in smaller meals throughout the day you will be far less likely to feel hungry.

As to whether its worth it or not - well it comes down to whether or not you would like to live - and live healthy - for a lot more years. Keep trying and if you really get stuck with the diet thing, see a dietitian - they can give you a lot of help.

Good Luck.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Eat more... but... You need to eat foods that

1) fill you up with
    2) low calorie count

Stock up on veggies and fruits.
    Switch to lean proteins.
    Go light on fatty condiments.
    Don't fall for fun sugar too often.
    Avoid restaurants... get into the habit of making your own food.
    Walk briskly half an hour after dinner.
    [edit -added] Drink at least 1/2 gallon of water or low-calorie water-based drinks each day.

So the question was.... is it worth it?

Only you can decide. For me, after 20 years of obesity the answer is a resounding yes.

Sometimes my mind says "this is slavery!"... but then again very often my mirror says "this is freedom!"
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Richard! Don't give up, but you don't need to be hungry. Go plant strong with your diet, eating as many vegetables as you can manage/tolerate. I don't mean have a salad with your meal. I mean make at least one of your meals an enormous, filling salad, but avoid the dressing. I use a little apple cider vinegar and some salt and pepper - but I LOVE the taste of vegetables. If this isn't doable for you, pick a different veggie each day that you like (green is great!) and make a whack load of it - you can roast it (with a very little bit of olive oil - very little mind), steam it, whatever. The fiber and the volume help take away the feelings of hunger, but don't add much in the way of calories. Fruit isn't always the best option, because it's sugar content adds a large amount of calories, BUT, they are super good for you, so don't shy away from them either. Remember that restricting your calories shouldn't be about eating less - it should be about eating more nutritionally dense foods with lower calories. I also find that by having a single boiled egg, or some other light protein helps with hunger. Do your best! That's all you can do. Also, be reasonable with your weight. Why are you eating so little? Do you need to lose that much weight that quickly? Could you add in a 30 minute walk and give yourself a little more calories?
  • pg3ibew
    Options

Eat some real food.

Haha crap huh...people get hungry on fruit and vegies too for those not informed. If your hungry eat. Try to be healthy even if your easing into that style..you don't have to go cold turkey. Be realistic though...think about why you're making this change and assess your goals from there.

He did say he had been cheating the last few days

Let me re-phrase what I said about Looking at his last 4 days. I looked back from the day he joined. He has been eating McD. Carl's, Taco Bell, KFC and other Frigging CRAP from the day he joined. 1000 calorie for one SANDWICH is absurd.
  • goldie980
    Options
    If you have hunger pains then your noting eating foods that fill you up. Do research on filling healthy foods to fill you up.