Octane Elliptical Trainer - Effective??

Options
Hi, this is new machine thats come in the gym. My trainer said its good for you, work out on this. I am seeing anything of this sort for the very first time. So I would like to understand if it is similar to the regular elliptical trainer? Also there are options like lateral and squats etc? How good are these?

Replies

• Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just got a few at my gym recently. I absolutely love them and they have become my favorite machine. It is similar to the elliptical but the motion is a bit different and actually less impact and more gliding...kind of like a running motion. I am not sure about the squats question though. I just choose the option called SmartStride.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just got a few at my gym recently. I absolutely love them and they have become my favorite machine. It is similar to the elliptical but the motion is a bit different and actually less impact and more gliding...kind of like a running motion. I am not sure about the squats question though. I just choose the option called SmartStride.

Is it better than the regular elliptical trainer? How effective is it for lower body reduction?
  • suzywuzy90
    suzywuzy90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Lateral Elliptical for the last several months. I just adore it. I used to use the regular elliptical for an hour and wouldnt' see any benefit other than maintence and cardio. But on this thing, I can do more in 30 than I could in an hour on the other one. It also has a benefit of working my core so that I can seeing a lot of reduction in my stomach area.

And a nice benefit for me is that it is comfortable for me to use as a short person. Other ellipitcals are designed for tall people which has me standing in a bizarre, uncomfortable way.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    They must have had a big sale on these or something, my gym just got them too! lol I haven't tried it yet, they look interesting though.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had the manager at my gym show me how to use it. I used to love the Arc trainer, but it's boring compared to the Octane. The Octane gives me a much lower calorie count, but I feel like I'm working out a lot harder and it's got more settings. I love the Xmode. It has you do different things like squatting, leaning back, push/pull with arms, lower body only, reverse, and slow/fast. It keeps the workout more interesting. I've only used it three or four times, so haven't come close to trying all the settings.
  • Irizzzle
    Irizzzle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just tried them out, I really liked if! The calorie burn it calculates was pretty similar to what my heart rate monitor calculated (never even close on traditional ellipticals). I felt it was a better workout for my glutes and hamstrings than traditional elliptical.
  • lpgone
    lpgone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My gym recently installed several of these - there a videos online that will show you how to use them. My favorite feature - they have a fan!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Love the fan! The Random setting is the only one I've found I don't really like so far. It just feels weird to me when it makes it harder for 1-3 strides.
  • skudera27
    skudera27 Posts: 54
    Options
    My gym just installed one last week, going to try it today. I'm sure they'll get more...especially for the price I pay in membership fees!