This has really pushed my button!

Options

Replies

• symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    A healthy body is about what is going on inside your body. Ads are about selling something. They are two different things.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I like it. She looks pretty.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i dont get it?

a picture of a thin person has upset you?

eh?!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    It is interesting as far as advertisement goes... but her head is as wide as her waist...
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I work with gymnasts- Everyone looks like that at my workplace!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I really don't see what the big deal is. It's just exagerated proportions and angles.

I do object to the shoes though. I find them ugly.
  • Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    "A healthy body is about what is going on inside your body. Ads are about selling something. They are two different things."

This post is right on:smile:
  • pipistrellus
    Options
    This could do with some context.
    That dress is part of a Mad Men 60s inspired collection and in the 60s, the Twiggy bodytype was high fashion. This campaign is in keeping and some people *are* just that thin.

I agree that there should be a broad range of shapes advertising fashion, but that shouldn't exclude the skinnies.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I desperately want one of those chairs!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying, but the thing is Coco Rocha really IS that thin, I've seen her in person.

I'm sure that picture is photoshopped, but she actually is a very small woman. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

^^^ this. Her arms look like they've been photoshopped (either that or she has really skinny forearms, if it was me I'd start doing wrist curls to counteract that) - however her legs have a nice shape and she has nice calves. She clearly is tall with a small frame, and she doesn't look unhealthy. She looks like a tall, small framed person with a low-ish body fat percentage, she doesn't look starved (if she was starving herself she would not have shapely calves, she'd have wasted looking legs)

The issue I have with supermodels and the message being put "out there" to kids, is that the supermodel look is only achievable by those who are tall with small frames. However, when you look at fitness models and female athletes, they come in all heights and frame sizes, and also different sports can attract different body types, e.g. the front row players of a rugby team have a very different body type to a gymnast, but both are really strong.

I don't think we can really change how the fashion industry is, tall, small framed people make good fashion models because of the way clothes hang on them and how they look on the catwalk, in photos etc. It's not like there's a conspiracy against short, large framed people.... but when it comes to role models, then I'd much rather my girls look to female athletes or fitness models for how they want to look (and more importantly, what they can do), not fashion models. The older one has a fairly slender build (takes after her dad, tall and medium framed), but the younger one takes after me and is short and has inherited my large rib cage. I don't want them to start aspiring towards looks that are unachievable, I want them striving towards being strong, fit and healthy, and looking good because they're strong fit and healthy, not because they achieved some desired "look" from a magazine or fashion show. And yes as a parent I'm going to do what I can to steer them in that direction.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I will be in the minority but photoshop is just an advanced method mode of makeup and accessories used by women.

Photoshop, if done right, can be used to make a women look her best on her best day. If done wrong, it can make women look weird. Frankly, give the general public some credit. They know what a photoshopped image looks like.

Many will say "Well what about the kids". You know, the youth nowadays can identify a photoshopped image better than most of the older fellows. Does it change the fact that they still feel insecured about their bodies? Nope. Its not photoshopped pics or models or anything doing it. Its everybody. And its not anything new. Afterall, bullemia and anorexia was invented milleniums ago for a reason.

Overall, stop panicing over photoshopping. If you want it gone so badly, stop talking about it and ignoring it. Stop buying their products and stop even talking about the magazines you're not buying because of this. Just stop recognizing it and imagine they don't exist
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what picture it is in a magazine. It is photoshopped. Could be a morbidly obese woman and it's getting shopped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ae2ouGaMQ

She could have been 50 lbs heavier before
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It's a nice picture. She's gorgeous. I like it.
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    If I woke up next to a lady with a body like that. For sure - I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to jump out of bed.
    I know a few men are "chubby chasers" but the majority want a slim and sexy lady (that isn't high maintenance lol).
    Ian .
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Physically impossible.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem she's skinny and?

I'm skinny too, should I hide at home in case I upset someone?

ETA I know you're talking about photoshopping in case anyone thinks I missed that
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Fashion and advertizing are art forms. The fashion industry chooses the models they do because they are extreme versions of human form. They're trying to convey a fantasy. Also it makes the design process easier if they don't have to worry about flattering the model, it lets them stick to their vision. People who create ads are going to be looking for like shapes and repeating patterns. Some of the changes they make in photoshop, particularly in this one I think, are exaggerated to complement the background and the feeling they're trying to achieve. If you look back at Art History this has always been done, in different ways. Look up Mannerism. The artists would stretch and distort the human form in order to make it more aesthetically pleasing. It looks very strange, and I'd post an image or two but I'm not sure about the rules on nude art. In the 19th century there was a battle between those who wanted to portray women as perfect goddesses, entirely for the male viewer (often for their bedrooms, if you follow), and those who wanted to portray them naturalistically. Look up The Birth of Venus by Cabanel to see how women were portrayed then. Art swings on a pendulum back and forth from stylized to realistic over time.

My point is that you have to learn to separate art from reality. It's ok in my book that photoshop is used or that fashion models don't look average. We all know that photoshop is being used, and models aren't meant to look like the average woman. It doesn't bother me.

Also it's strange to me that this is the image that bothers you so much, considering all the other much more exaggerated and extreme images out there. Why does this one in particular bother you so much?

Edited to account for lack of coffee.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've got the "lollipop, lollipop" song in my head
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's interesting how the more they push these images at me the more I find myself disliking skinny... and then I feel bad because all body types should be appreciated. *sigh*

To me, there's a difference between a naturally slender body type and starvation for the sake of being skinny. I remember learning in my teen years about models eating nothing but a single lettuce leaf. Something like that has nothing to do with appreciating a body type.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on everyones parade, becasue I dont think super skinny is attractive either, but has anyone every looked at an add with a plus size model and said "Wow I would love to look like that" .. most likely no ... they market things based on what people in the back of their mind are thinking, its not just a wow that dress is nice, its wow she is skinny, i wanna be skinnier so I can wear a dress like that. You ever notice how there are no plus size male models, because every dude wants to look like a statue in a perfect cut 3 peice suit. Do you honestly believe that a product would sell if they put it on a normal looking person? Its just advertising, you would sell a box of cookies in a dog food box, no you dress it make it look appealing to the masses, or at least get enough people thinking about it good or bad, negative views of an ad are still going to get people talking about it.