HELP!! I'M NEW AND I CAN'T GET ON TRACK!!!

Options
:frown: Hey I am kinda new to the site and I need motivation, I have 80lbs I would like to lose, but I just can't get motivated. I do fine all the way through lunch, but when dinner time hits thats when it happens. I go over my calories which isn't going to help me in my weight lost journey.

Please help me on my journey. It would be greatly appreciate. Any suggestions that you have would be great!!!!

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Dinner is tough for me too because I have to cook a meal for my husband and son. My best suggestion is to measure EVERYTHING you eat and only measure out the amount that your calories will allow. Drink two big glasses of water too right before you eat. It makes me feel full faster.

Hope this helps.
    Amanda
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! We all believe in you!!! Make sure you are eating a breakfast. A real one not a bar or drink.. Around 1030 am have a small piece of fruit or some small snack, eat a well balanced lunch and around 3 or 4 eat another small healthy snack and then a dinner full of protein, veggies, carb and alittle fat. All these things should help you lose weight. Your body does need protein,carbs and fat to work properly and by eating using portion control it should help get you through the days.. Also drink lots of water at least your 8 glasses a day.. i wish you luck!!
  • wisdom71
    wisdom71 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have the saaaaaaame problem. I'm learning (from others) that planning what you'll eat can help...also loading up on veggies and waaaaaater. Good luck!
  • Reign
    Reign Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi Niquesta,

We all have our struggles. Feel free to add me as a friend, for support.
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I always get hungry after I eat a full dinner. To curb my hunger, I have a snack. I avoid things with calories or carbs. Cucumbers, celery, or a salad helps me feel satisfied. I also always make sure I eat my dinner before 7pm as this helps me from gaining weight. Good luck! We're all rooting for you!
  • janeant
    janeant Posts: 7
    Options
    Girl I am right there with you! I'm motivated out the gate...but come lunch/noon time I'm either over my calories or pretty darn close to it. And it's not that I'm eating so darn much, I'm just not supposed to have more then 1300 and that's not very much! Just keep trying, you will get it right. Thats what keeps me here....knowing eventually I will get it right.
  • melonheadjujube
    Options
    Hi, a few things that have worked for me, and I lost 25 lbs last year, looking to lose another 20 this year:

1. Break your goal down into milestones, say every ten lbs.
    2. Measure everything except "free" vegetables, don't eyeball where portion size is critical. My most critical measurements are of my carb portion and fts, for which I keep a 1/2 cup measure and measuring spoons. I limit myself to 1/2 cup of any starchy dish, i.e. rice, pasta, potatoes.
    3. Eat a big green salad, skip the croutons, and TOSS IT WELL! If you put the salad in a big bowl, you can add just a teaspoon of dressing per portion and it will thoroughly coat an flavor everything. Considering the portion size on the label is 2 Tb, a tsp is a mere sixth of that.
    4. Do you snack? Plot your snack in the morning. I like almonds, they have good fat, low carbs, protein, fiber, and mucho minerals. I measure 30 into a bowl and tell myself, this is my snack for the day. i haave learned when the urge to nibble comes along to eat one almond at a time.
    5. Move. find something you like to do and do it.
    6. Know that doing this takes time - you will need to cook more and rely on processed and restaurant food less. Consider that time an investment in yourself and be proud of it.

Wishing you the best.
  • lds25
    lds25 Posts: 68
    Options
    I am so in the same spot as you, and I just got myself motivated yesterday. I had to decide not to stay home after supper and to stay out and active as possible to keep me from eating. I went and watched my friends son play ball. This way no temptation, and when i got home i read these forums and did some typing, then I found that i was wanting to eat. I grabbed some fruit and when i thought i would eat the fridge I forced myself to go to bed.
  • sassyt76
    sassyt76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have problems with that also but when I exercise it helps. Also the more you exercise the more calories you are bale to eat. Just cleaning can help with your calories. Also if your into eating jello try the sugar free kind it has no calories it helps feel me up as well as water. Hope this helps you.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I agree on drink a lot of water to feel more full (and to help digest better and cleanse better). Are you eating a lot at dinner itself or after? At dinner, plan your meals in advance not spur of the moment. Plan to eat the bulk earlier in the day and snack to avoid that building hunger before dinner. Chew slower / more. Don't put the servings on the table so you have to get up and go into the kitchen to get 2nds. Use a bread / breakfast plate not a dinner plate for portion control. Research what foods provide a full feeling better than others. If you're eating because you are bored after dinner keep a bottle of water with you and sip on that. Just the action helps. Find something not mind numbing to do (ie read or play a game rather than watch TV...) Go for a walk... it's hard to eat junk after feeling good with any sort of work out, or if you do, at least you burned some of it off! And also, plan your day to leave you some night snack calories (not a lot and nothing like heavy carbs etc). If you're going to feel deprived you won't stick with it, so find a way to make it work for you.

(PS - please vote for me! See my sig!)
  • jeans4
    jeans4 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have this same problem, along with i can stick to the plan and be perfect for 4 or 5 days, then whammo, blow it off the charts, and i gain and lose the same 5 pounds week after week after week.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I find that being honest and tracking everything I eat helps me stay on track. Having to account for every calorie motivates me to stay at or under my cal. amounts. Keeping a running total of calories helps me make decission during the day...that way I know I'll have plenty of calories left for dinner and snack in the evening, which is my most difficult time of the day.
    Good luck...I know you can do it!:wink:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't eat enough calories during the day, I am ravenous come dinner time! Eating all your meals and snacks is very important. I know it works for some, but for me, a snack can't just be a piece of fruit or handful of almonds. It really helps me to have a more balanced snack.... a piece of fruit and a lean protein (hard boiled egg, a couple ounces of chicken, handful of soy beans, etc.). I don't feel satisfied unless I eat protein!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Try and ensure you eat every 2-4 hours....

Get a filling breakfast....keep in mind that filling doesnt mean overeat......a 100 calorie bagel and cream cheese and some sort of fruit....like orange which can be filling

Then couple hours after breakfast have a mid day snack.....another fruit or a nature valley bar....I find they are alot more natural than alot of the other bars....or some almond...but only the serving size because almonds can be very fattening

Then for lunch....cup of brown rice...or small sweet potato....and your choice of meat and some veggies

Then midafternoon.....another fruit.....I wouldnt have another bar....one per day is plenty....stick to fruits or veggies....I usually do a fruit

Then dinner....which I eat mine before 7pm....if you can do that based on your lifestyle, then its best........
    can be similar to lunch......

Drink lots of water throughout the day.........also cut out juices, they serve no purpose, they are just filled with sugar

Drink water with all your meals and after your meals as well

Try and make as much of the meals yourself if possible....that way you can control the sodium intake

My breakfast is usually processed...like the bagel and cream cheese etc

All other meals I make myself.....obviously there are going to be days when you cant control that, but the less of those days the better

Its rough.....you just have to force yourself to ignore certain cravings....it will be rough the first couple weeks....then your system will get used to the new eating habits

You will still have cravings....but they wont be as bad over time

Good luck
  • deenebes
    deenebes Posts: 9
    Options
    I totally agree with drinking water before meals. It def helps! Good Luck :)
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I really like having mini goals. Even though i want to lose 50 lbs, that is a lot of weight and the idea of it is daunting. So I set my sight on the first 10 pounds. Also, one you lose that first dress/pant size, you really get motivated to keep going. I agree that dinner is hard, especially if you are cooking for others who are not dieting (which I am). Sometimes I just eat Lean Cuisine so that its portion controlled, and I always try to have a salad first so that I am not as hungry. Water is also a great idea, and lots of it. When I can plan the meal in advance, I try to make something we all like, and that I don't feel guilty about. So planning is also key. Just hang in there, and take it one day at a time. And if you slip, that's OK, just get right back on your plan.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Also, it really helps me keep my dinner under control if I know I've saved up enough calories to have a little dessert after dinner....I'm always looking foward to my next meal. So, knowing that I have a little treat coming really helps.
    For me, it's sweets.... Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches, etc.

Want to add......I can't stress enough the importance of protein in all your snacks and meals.... starting the day with a bagel, cream cheese and fruit is ticket to a carb crash!
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! I had a similar problem. I'd be fine during the day and okay during most dinners. The few hours between when I got home and had dinner though was a munch fest.

What's helped me is to plan my dinners ahead of time. Even just the night before. That way I usually know where I stand foodwise and can adjust my breakfast, lunch or snacks. I also started portioning things before I cook them. That way there isn't a lot of extra food to eat when I'm "full".

As for my 3pm-5pm snacking issues, I started making sure I have a snack right before I leave work. Then when I get home I try to keep really busy so I don't mindlessly eat. I've recently learned (from giving up sugar) that so many of my food issues are habits. I'm more conscience about that now and able to stop myself before I eat.

Good luck!!!
  • msladyfe
    msladyfe Posts: 2
    Options
    For me, the motivation started with a low aerobics workout. I started taking classes twice a week at the Park District. I needed to do something and it helped once I got out of the house to do it. Even walking is great! But once I started moving, I didn't want to ruin it with eating bad, and the classes gave me something to look forward too. I usually eat a light breakfast and big lunch, which usually consists of a nice healthy size salad, fruit, and water. Fruit helps kill those sweet cravings, especially pineapples because they are naturally sweet. If I just have to have something salty/crunchy I eat sunchips. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS to not deprive yourself of something you really want to eat. If you want a slice of pizza, have a slice of pizza, but then get right back on it! Think life style change, not dieting and you'll be just fine!!! Good luck! You can do it!!!
  • Niquesta
    Niquesta Posts: 2
    Options
    THANKS GUYS!!! I really appreciate all of the help and I will try to utilize all of your advice because I have to get this weight off. I'm 25 and I surely don't feel like I'm 25, because this extra weight weighs me down!! THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!:smile: