Suggestions on how to jazz up brown rice?

Options

Replies

• sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    LOVING THIS!
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    eating it right now; Steam the brown rice enough for a couple days. Saute onions, peppers, garlic, stir in diced tomatoes with a little of the juice, black beans, corn. serve over rice. can substitute black beans with red beans, limas, or lentils.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Have been trying to switch out the potatoes my husband loves to eat with dinner for brown rice occasionally. I enjoy it with stir frys or meals that include some kind of sauce, but am finding it a bit plain as a side to, say, chicken breast and veggies. Its just a bit dry on its own.

Does anyone have any ideas on simple, low calorie 'improvements' that would make it a bit more interesting?

Add some peppers, sweetcorn and onions and some herbs/spices :)
  • Jarredgautreaux
    Jarredgautreaux Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    when i eat brown rice as a side dish i usally put a little soy sauce on it.
  • Suzeboo
    Options
    soy sauce
  • SafiyaBWG
    SafiyaBWG Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A cup of brown rice ( i like it a little overcooked) with a teaspoon of low sodium soy sauce, with roasted salmon and sauteed ginger !
  • Jennessaphilip
    Options
    I like to mix in an ounce or two of chopped Hillshire Farms turkey kielbasa :) So tasty. And very few calories
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I made some for lunch today that consisted of putting the cooked rice with a couple extra TBSP water in a non stick pan with some onion and sprinkle chili powder, cayenne pepper, and thyme to taste. The spoonful I had of it last night was very good!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy spices I recently added a Mrs. Dash spicey mix to mine. Was actually quite good.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Not low calorie, but it's soo good with peanut butter and honey!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Furikake. (Look for it in an Asian grocery store that has a decent Japanese section.)
  • bumping ! So I can have some tips when I'm cooking later :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Thai sweet chili sauce is tasty and it doesn't take much to add flavor.

I also use whatever sauce I put on fish or chicken that I grill. My fav is a fresh orange juice, garlic & maple syrup reduction. I just put the fish on top of the rice (that was cooked with broth), then pour some of the sauce I didn't baste the meat with, on top. It flavors the fish and the rice.

Cook some onions, carrots and whatever other veggies you have, with your rice as it cooks.
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use low sodium chicken broth instead of water to cook it and add garlic powder.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Buy brown sushi rice, also called brown sweet rice, and make veggie sushi rolls.
  • MrsDougNOLA
    Options
    Bump
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Fry the rice, then (add water), throw in a couple of Sazon Goya pouches in there, then add a can of black beans. Deeeelicious.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like to add salsa to it.
  • MollieA912
    MollieA912 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump