up 5 lbs in one week?!!

Options
Hey everyone

I am a very active person and have been limiting weigh ins to once a week. HOW is it possible that I went up 5 lbs in one week?!!?! I don't understand. I was 134.6 last week and now i'm 138.8. I went to kickboxing last night and weighed myself in the morning - do you think my body is retaining water.

I eat very well and always around 1500 to 1600 calories on a heavy work out day. I would like to get down to 125lbs. I'm female, 5'5" and a size 2/4.

Any advice would be great - I hate the scale!!

Replies

• Sioned26
    Sioned26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch the scale completely! It's clearly not accurate for you! Could be anything such as water, a large meal, hormonal changes etc

I'd say go by measurements and body fat and if you have to (I do!) then use the scales once a month.

I have my bodyfat % read at the gym and use scales on the first day of every month. Sometimes I've lost nothing or put on lbs, but my bodyfat is down, which is what is needed
  • NinaGS
    Options
    Hi Jeda1231,
    if you are very active with strenght training and cardio etc, you need to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. So even though you may have gained 5lbs, it may not be fat gain. Measuring your waist and thighs may be a better indication than that on the scale :)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Had you been to the bathroom first? That could be the entire weight gain in one.

Add TOTM, a bit more salt consumed, and some lean muscle gain and you get a 5lb gain easily enough.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    DON'T FOLLOW THE SCALE...ITS FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT LIES. Instead check your measurements from time to time. I went up and down 15lbs in a 24 hour period lol
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

I am a very active person and have been limiting weigh ins to once a week. HOW is it possible that I went up 5 lbs in one week?!!?! I don't understand. I was 134.6 last week and now i'm 138.8. I went to kickboxing last night and weighed myself in the morning - do you think my body is retaining water.

I eat very well and always around 1500 to 1600 calories on a heavy work out day. I would like to get down to 125lbs. I'm female, 5'5" and a size 2/4.

Any advice would be great - I hate the scale!!

Are you a size 2/4 now? If so then your body is trying to tell you it's fantastic where it is. If your goal is a 2/4 then disregard that. Are you on your period? Did you have salty food yesterday? Did you weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you went to the bathroom? Have you been drinking enough water? If you have been working out HARD like you say you are then your muscles may be retaining water.
    I'm 5'5" and weigh 127 (on most days) but today I weigh 130 because I'm on my period. Don't stress. Drink lots of water.
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wish I could be down around 130! I am not on my period nor is it the week before but I did drink a LOT of water yesterday after and before kickboxing class. I ate a sensible dinner and did use the bathroom before weighing myself. I made it a point to put my skinny work pants on to make myself feel better and to avoid beating myself up! If they still fit then I can't be that upset about it.

I hope you are right about my muscles retaining water! I will focus on measurements rather than the scale for a while. I don't think 125 is an unrealistic goal for 5'5" but who knows - maybe i am okay where I am