• benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    @OP:
    Who are you losing the weight for?
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it entirely depends on how much you have to lose. If you have a lot to lose to begin with, it will take time for people to start noticing physical changes. Stay the course!

Conversely, people don't seem to notice the loss when you are starting to reach the END of your weight loss journey:

I have lost 32lbs. I am not THAT big, and in the first few months, people were complimenting me all the time! It was great! But since New Years Day, I have lost about 10lbs and no one has said ANYTHING! My mum mentioned my weight loss a couple of weeks ago, but I was wearing what I call my 'guaranteed to get a compliment' outfit. Its just jeans that really flatter my legs and a top that covers my flabby arms but makes my waist look super thin.

People will start noticing soon. The important thing is that YOU notice. It might not always show on the scales, but when you slip easily into a pair of trousers that you might have had to struggle with a few months ago, or they don't fit you at all, you'll know what you're doing is working!
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    SO many variables. I love it when people comment on my weightloss - it's not that I need their validation, but I like compliments! :) But on the other side, I know my mother-in-law is losing weight, she's lost over 40lb since the summer, and has gone down more clothes sizes than I have, but to be absolutely honest I'm not sure that I'd have noticed if she hadn't said, and am very sure I wouldn't have commented! Thinking about it more, she *must* look slimmer than she has for the past few years, and is much more like she was when I first met her. But since I've seen her at around this size before, it hasn't startled me into thinking how different she looks. Does that make any sense??
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    People may notice a change but may not want to say anything yet because weight is such a sensitive topic for most people.

This. Weight is a really touchy subject, especially among loved ones, so it can be hard for other people to say anything.

I've lost 21 pounds and feel it's a pretty big difference, but no comments yet. It can be very frustrating. Yes, we're doing this for ourselves but yes, we are also human. It's natural and normal to want recognition for our efforts.
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I found that people really started to notice when I started to buy clothes in the right size, I was still fitting into my "big" clothes and using belts to hold up trousers, when i got smaller clothes all of a sudden people started to comment.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    No one seems to notice for me either. I'm not letting it get to me too much. Most people who are around me don't know I'm trying. My husband does and is being very supportive. My MIL does, but doesn't seem to think it is important (not in a mean way, she is 92 and a little senile I think she sees me the same way she did when I was 20 something). Two workout buddies know and my ex Daughter-in-law. Everyone else doesn't. I kind of think since most everyone I know have lived through me losing and gaining this first 40 that will be coming off so many times, they don't want to bring it up if they have noticed. Also, although I have noticed some shirts aren't as tight as they were, I really haven't noticed visibly myself. So I'm not going to hold my friends to a higher standard of observation :-).

I'm not going to go to the jealousy thought, or mean thought. I'm going to the place in my head that says they love me and support me at any size that I am. The weight loss is for me. When they see me happy that will be for them to comment on.
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    50lbs. until hubby really said anything great about it! Hummmm....sometimes even our loved ones don't know quite how to take a significant loss. He came around though good thing I really wasn't bothered as others were my support system. Keep on doing YOU!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    People have a tendency not to say much til it's a significant loss. I've now lost 140ish and people really started saying stuff around 60-80lbs down. Once I hit those numbers people were like...woah dude...
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    It depends on how you personally carry your weight. I tend to lose weight evenly and don't really have a "problem area" such as stomach, arms and so on. It takes a little bit more time if the weight loss is over your entire body and not just one area. I think I was at the 20 pound mark however when people began to notice by just looking at me.