This has really pushed my button!

Options
13»

Replies

• emacb123
    emacb123 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That dress look cool though :) although my girlfriend doesn't like geometric prints.

Oh. sorry we were talking about the model? I didn't notice :D

Heh, I was thinking the same ...

I happen to love geometric prints especially with a mod twist.

I really like the photo

*ducks for cover*
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It is interesting as far as advertisement goes... but her head is as wide as her waist...

Is that really so unusual? I think Marilyn Monroe had a 27" head and a 24" waist.

This image doesn't push any of my buttons. I think it's pretty cool looking. Of course it's photoshopped... it's part of an ad campaign. But I've seen others that were a lot more unrealistic.

Mascara ads tick me off more. Some people are this thin, but NO ONE has eye lashes like the ones in ads. :laugh:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    huge hair aside...

my teen eats like a horse and has pretty much exactly that body shape.
    she's fit, healthy, has great stamina and eats plenty.
    her doctor says she's fighting fit.

she faces constant accusations of anorexia from overweight women.

it's an interesting reversal of what i remember as a teen.
    demonising the slim.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying, but the thing is Coco Rocha really IS that thin
    I'm sure that picture is photoshopped, but she actually is a very small woman. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

This. I admire Coco for her career and successes....do I wanna look like her? NO! Never have, never will. Women in our society need to learn to make healthy decisions for themselves and feel good about being the best they can be in their own bodies, even if they arent a super tall super skinny supermodel.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on everyones parade, becasue I dont think super skinny is attractive either, but has anyone every looked at an add with a plus size model and said "Wow I would love to look like that" .. most likely no ...
    Hmm, I think most plus-size models are what many people would consider almost 'average' body weights at this point. Maybe Lena Dunham would call them "thin for Detroit," haha :) They often have very beautiful figures, with no unsightly bulges (probably due to photoshop!), just larger overall frames.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It is interesting as far as advertisement goes... but her head is as wide as her waist...

Is that really so unusual? I think Marilyn Monroe had a 27" head and a 24" waist.

This image doesn't push any of my buttons. I think it's pretty cool looking. Of course it's photoshopped... it's part of an ad campaign. But I've seen others that were a lot more unrealistic.

Mascara ads tick me off more. Some people are this thin, but NO ONE has eye lashes like the ones in ads. :laugh:

i do. my eyelashes are insane and it is a bit of a problem actually. they're too long and there are too many of them. and i'm a guy, so it isn't like i need them.
  • HOLLEE85
    Options
    I think it's funny how people just assume she's anorexic and photo shopped.....What if she's just naturally skinny like that? I've had friends who were skinnier then her and they ate like crazy but they couldn't gain weight. I don't think she even looks anorexic to be honest.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Options
    the media is not aware that the actual average size of the American women is a size 14.

which is what the lady in the ad looked like to me. the media wants to push being thin their idea of a good healthy weight is a size 0. but that is not a realistic size.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Companies spend piles of money on research to find out what we (consumer) like. Research says we like it, and it sells the stuff. So there you go. Even the plus size models are skinnier then regular plus size ladies.
    Don't spend your money on companies that you don't like for whatever reason. Money is what talks to them.
  • wmstormvet
    Options
    I totally agree! It is stuff like this that creates all the eating disorders that young people have nowadays.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    huge hair aside...

my teen eats like a horse and has pretty much exactly that body shape.
    she's fit, healthy, has great stamina and eats plenty.
    her doctor says she's fighting fit.

she faces constant accusations of anorexia from overweight women.

it's an interesting reversal of what i remember as a teen.
    demonising the slim.

The hair freaked me out too..............
    I had a friend at school who was constantly abused for her weight, she was sporty and ate like a horse, but was naturally tiny. It was horrible.
    I don't think the photoshop on this is bad at all, they've photographed her to elongate her legs, altered brightness to smooth skin tone etc but I have seen MUCH worse!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I don't see the problem here. She looks healthy and she doesn't appear to be underweight.
  • wmstormvet
    Options
    I've got the "lollipop, lollipop" song in my head

Thanks for putting that in my head! lol
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think she looks great!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I totally agree! It is stuff like this that creates all the eating disorders that young people have nowadays.

*head desk* over simplification much?
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Too skinny---need some damn meat on her bones. No *kitten*= no thanks.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I think it's funny how people just assume she's anorexic and photo shopped.....What if she's just naturally skinny like that? I've had friends who were skinnier then her and they ate like crazy but they couldn't gain weight. I don't think she even looks anorexic to be honest.
    For everyone who said we all know its photoshopped and can all tell the difference between art and real life ... Read this quote.
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well she's been photoshopped to the point that she's biologically impossible.

However that doesn't worry me as much as the women who go as far as to sculpt their bodies to emulate fictional characters that are biologically impossible.......like this mad bint:

barbie.jpg
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's all well and good to say "don't get offended, dont let ads dictate how you feel, dont let the media teach you how to live" rah rah. But I get why it annoys the OP! You have to think about how these images affect society as a whole on a subconscious level. It sets the 'normal' bar, and when you have kids and impressionable teenagers soaking it all in; I agree, it becomes a problem and a shame. Teens often find a million little flaws with themselves that "no one else has" because they never see a blemish in the magazines; and poor self-esteem and eating disorders (both ends of the spectrum) can be borne from it. Remember as well, not everyone has the same starting block in life; you may have been raised to appreciate yourself and that the media can't be trusted for realism; but others grow up without challenging those perceptions. People can be surprisingly oblivious.

I'm not saying there should only be un-photoshopped, larger people in advertising; keep the skinny girls in business. Skinny is a body type, they deserve to be in there. But I do think there should be an equal number (or at least more than we have now :p) of different body types and sizes out there; I mean where's the variety!

Edit: just to be clear I'm talking more about ads/media in general, not necessarily this ad in particular. Yes she's had some level of photoshop, but I have seen a lot worse. I accept this may just be her body type and she's healthy; maybe not; but on the whole the advertising industry has a lot to answer for.
  • silky_kitten
    silky_kitten Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what picture it is in a magazine. It is photoshopped. Could be a morbidly obese woman and it's getting shopped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Ae2ouGaMQ

She could have been 50 lbs heavier before

The woman in this video is a "plus size" model, and she is gorgeous before photoshop!