Need spaghetti squash recipes PLEASE

Options
LisaAvasNana
LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
I've heard a lot of talk about using spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I have no idea how to cook it nor do I have any recipes for squash. Wanting something new. I heard that you should change the color of your veggies and not eat the same ones all the time.

Thanks
Lisa

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of it when it's just spaghetti squash however my husband and I love it when it's mixed with pasta.

I cut the squash in half, pierce the skin and microwave (flesh down) for a few mins until it is soft. I than use a fork to pull the squash out and I put it in a bowl. I than make pasta and once it's done I mix it with the spaghetti squash. It's usually two parts squash to one part spaghetti. You still get the pasta but can eat a lot with much less calories as the majority of it is squash. I either mix in some butter and spices or add spaghetti sauce to it.

There are tons of other recipes online!

What I do with the spaghetti squash I have done with very thinly sliced carrots, green peppers and zucchini. Everything mixed together with a bit of pasta, butter and spices is a very good, filling meal that tastes amazing and is fairly low cal while getting in some different veggies.

Edit - totally forgot but scoop out the seeds and goopy stuff in the middle. I didn't tell a friend of mine and yup, she cooked it with the seeds and goopy stuff lol
  • amstill314
    Options
    Here's one a tried a few nights ago. It was my (and hubster's) first time trying spaghetti squash. For us, the taste was good but texture took some getting used to.

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-casserole.aspx

I definitely want to try mixing it with pasta next time - thanks for the suggestion :smile:
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. I LOVE pasta and it's been hard staying away from it. Now I can have my pasta and veggies.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Take noodles out of any recipe in the world and insert spaghetti squash

No need to thank me just pay it forward
  • Moosiklaydy
    Options
    Chicken Pesto "Spaghetti."

Cut the squash in half and scoop out the gooey stuff. Then put the halves on a baking pan so they look like overturned canoes. Then bake them at about 350 to 375 degrees for about 20 mins. Poke them with a fork to see if the flesh is fairly tender. If it is, then shred the squash with a fork to get your "spaghetti." I usually like to toss my squash with skinnytaste.com's basil pesto and some chicken. It is out of this world!
    (Pesto)

Process 1 C. Basil
    2-3 garlic cloves
    1/4 C Parmesan cheese
    Dash of salt

After those ingredients are processed, slowly add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and blend. VIOLA!
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Take noodles out of any recipe in the world and insert spaghetti squash

You think this works for Lo Mein? honestly can't see it happening. Ever tried it?
  • Moosiklaydy
    Options
    I never thought about mixing it with real pasta! Good idea!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe last week from Skinnytaste.com, except I used broccoli instead of spinach, it was so good: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html

Skinnytaste also has a few other recipes for spaghetti squash as well.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Here's one a tried a few nights ago. It was my (and hubster's) first time trying spaghetti squash. For us, the taste was good but texture took some getting used to.

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/spaghetti-squash-casserole.aspx

I definitely want to try mixing it with pasta next time - thanks for the suggestion :smile:

Mixing it with pasta is great!

For a meal to feed my husband and I plus him for lunch the next day I only use 1.5 servings of pasta (so about 450 cals spread between three meals) plus a whole spaghetti squash. Makes for a really good meal that gets you pasta but with much less calories!

I have also used spaghetti squash in place of lasanga noodles. I just slice it up (without skin) and replace two of the four layers of pasta with them. SOO yummy!!

Once it gets a bit cheaper (a small squash here is like $6 right now! crazy pricey) I will be using it again. For the time being I substitute other veggies in it's place.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Cut in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Bake cut side down at 375 for about 45 minutes. Turn over. Poke to see if it's done. Continue baking cut side up until it's soft. Scrape out the insides. Toss with a tiny bit of real butter. Sprinkle with garlic pepper and a little bit of shredded parmesan cheese (not that powdery grated stuff in the green can).

Serve as a side dish. Absolutely amazing.
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of talk about using spaghetti squash in place of pasta. I have no idea how to cook it nor do I have any recipes for squash. Wanting something new. I heard that you should change the color of your veggies and not eat the same ones all the time.

Thanks
    Lisa

when you find out please let me know! Thanks I keep hearing that too...its soo good!
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am going to try today. I am going to use regular beef and spaghetti sauce. If I like the spaghetti squash with this, I will replace the ground beef with Boca veggie crumble and have it for one of my veggie days.
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese (I'll be making this one this weekend). Though I think I'll add in some mushrooms. Either way, it looks delicious, IMO.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/baked-spaghetti-squash-and-cheese.html
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    One of the main things to remember when you cook spaghetti squash is to be sure to NOT overcook it. If you do, you lose the texture and it ends up mushy.

We love it as a low calorie side dish and just cook it and then scrape it out and mix with some garlic salt and fresh ground pepper. My husband likes parmesan cheese on his.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash Lasagna from Skinny Taste

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html
  • leradoms
    leradoms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just stab it a few times and microwave it whole for 12-15 minutes, then I top it with chili.
    Be careful though, when it comes out of the microwave it is SUPER hot.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, scrape out the seeds and microwave face down on a plate. Takes about 10 to 15 mins depending on the microwave. You should be able to easily shred it out with a fork. If it isn't coming right out, it isn't done. I then take some light butter and let it melt through. I like it plain just like that, but you certainly can add any sauce to it just like noodles.
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash. My current recipe this week:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half and scrape out the seeds. Place rind side UP (cut side down) on a baking sheet and bake squash for 40-45 minutes until you can easily pull a fork through it.

Scrape out the insides of the squash (it will take on the look of spaghetti, long and stringy) and place it in Tupperware. Depending on the squash size, it can last me a week!

Spaghetti Squash with Avocado & Shrimp:

Heat up prepared spaghetti squash in a frying pan and add desired veggies (I like mushrooms and tomatoes). I add a bit of water to keep it moving.
    Add in some precooked shrimp along with garlic, rosemary, basil and black pepper. Or whatever herbs and spices you enjoy!

Remove from heat and stir in diced avocado. Delicious with lots protein and healthy fats : )