People, get to know your CARBS!

Options
I see a lot of people unclear about what types of food they can or can't eat because of the carb content. I don't think a lot of people really have a grasp of how one's body processes carbohydrates so I aim to clarify. Read on if you want to be an educated fat-eradicator!

Carbohydrates are the first of the two "energy" nutrients. Each gram of carbs provide 4 calories. The main function of carbs in the body is to provide a quick source of fuel for physical and mental work. It can be stored in any of the three main storage units of the body: in the muscle and liver as glycogen but also as body fat.

Carbs are the body's preferred energy source under most circumstances, so if sufficient amounts of carbs are present in the diet, it's hard to "force" the body to use fat for fuel. In other words, if you eat a lot of carbs, your blubber will likely stay right where it is.

Carbs also cause the greatest insulin spike of all three main macronutrients (protein, carbs, fat). In fact, the elevation of blood sugar levels (carbs are sugar) is the main stimulus for insulin release. This is both a pro and a con: insulin can help drive protein and carbs into the muscle (a Good Thing) but it can also stimulate fat storage (a Bad Thing). Furthermore, as long as insulin levels are elevated, it's next to impossible under normal circumstances to stimulate the release of fatty acids from the fat stores. This means that as long as insulin levels are high, fat loss is almost impossible. Remember also that when insulin levels are elevated it puts your body into "storage" mode.

So under certain circumstances elevated insulin is a good thing (when you need to shuttle in nutrients to your muscles ASAP) but most of the time it's not. The only two times you should have a lot of carbs (and thus spike insulin) are at breakfast, and right after a workout.

After you wake up, the breakfast insulin spike will help halt the catabolic (muscle wasting) state brought on by eight or more hours of fasting ("breakfast," of course, means "breaking the fast"). After a workout, the insulin spike will rapidly deliver the nutrients to the muscle. This will initiate the recovery and building process immediately, while countering the actions of cortisol. Keep in mind, however, that the amount of carbs you should have at these times will vary greatly depending on your goal and degree of leanness.

Any other time is not a good time to consume a significant amount of carbs, as the insulin elevation will have a negative impact on body composition. Your insulin level remains elevated for up to 4 or 5 hours after a carb-rich meal, which can bring fat loss to a standstill for this period of time. In other words, a high sugar meal will not only directly add fat to your body, it will also prevent fat use effectively, turning you into a fat storing machine.

Although carbs are your body's preferred fuel source, carbohydrates aren't essential the way many amino acids and fatty acids are essential. This means that you could function properly even on a diet of zero carbs: the body would adapt to other fuel sources and you'd do just fine.

Carbohydrates come in many varieties. Without going into too much detail, every carbohydrate from pure sugar to whole wheat is turned into glucose in the body. The main difference is the speed at which it's turned into glucose. The faster it turns into glucose, the greater the insulin spike will be (because more glucose will enter the blood stream at once). The speed at which a carbohydrate (or any food, for that matter) elevates blood sugar is measured by the glycemic index (GI). Every food is given a specific GI number, and the higher the number is, the faster it elevates blood sugar levels. While not always perfectly accurate, it does give us a clue as to how much a food will affect insulin production.

Items such as whole-grain products have a much lower GI than their refined-flour cousins. This means that the body can effectively manage the insulin response and you won't suffer fat-storage for it. The ugly cousins (white bread, candy, etc.) will provide a rapid insulin spike which will result in that spare tire around your midsection getting bigger.

But no need to be super scientific about it. If your goal is body composition in general, the following rule applies:

Must-have carb sources: green veggies (broccoli, cucumbers, lettuce, spinach, celery, asparagus, etc.)

Can-have carb sources: other veggies (except potatoes), berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.)

Occasional carb sources: Other fruits

Rare carb sources: brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, cream of wheat, potatoes, yams

Should-avoid carb sources: white bread, white pasta, oatmeal

Must-avoid carb source: pastries, cookies, candy and any other junk sugary food

Replies

• lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So basically you're telling me I can't eat most fruit on a daily basis because it's an occasional carb? Or that I should be AVOIDING brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread, pita, wraps, etc? Hmmm...

I don't think I agree. I like my fruit and pita bread!
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That was very interesting to read.. :)
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    So basically you're telling me I can't eat most fruit on a daily basis because it's an occasional carb? Or that I should be AVOIDING brown rice, wheat pasta, wheat bread, pita, wraps, etc? Hmmm...

I don't think I agree. I like my fruit and pita bread!

That's exactly what i'm telling you.

Other Fruits are listed as an occasional carb source which means that you can ingest them as a snack or two throughout the day. Brown rice and pita bread ARE rare carb sources, I wouldn't have more than one meal that relied on these as a side dish. If the brown rice and pita bread are that important to you, then my recommendation would be to eat them as a post workout meal. You're much better off having a side of steamed veggies or beans and a lean protein source.

That's the difference between double-digit and single-digit BF %
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I know what your saying is true because I lost a bunch of pounds but most body comp following but I was working out and you can eat about 45 gm per meal of carbs with that because you don't want to cause a fatty embolis in your kidneys and be on dialysis because you want to be skinny. They is a balance or you can spill ketones and loose too much fat too quickly and kill your kidneys due to the overload placed on them. Especiialy older folks. Too low of carbs for long period is extremely dangerous you have to be careful. Once I stayed on it too long and I woke up with kidney pain and ate a banana and other fruit to start metabolizing carbs that day. It was scary. You have to be careful. Since then I keep to ADA recomendations of 45-60 gm of carbs per meal...when working out...
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm not all that sure about the correct terminology here buuuuutttttt.....if you are saying that fruit causes a spike in sugar levels/insulin then how would you explain something like this:
    http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/blood-sugar-testing
  • emederos
    Options
    Ok so I'm not all that sure about the currect terminology here buuuuutttttt.....if you are saying that fruit causes a spike in sugar levels/insulin then how would you explain something like this:
    http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/topics/blood-sugar-testing

Clearly, you didn't understand.
    Let me break it down even further. Go back and read the section on the Glycemic Index to reinforce what i'm about to say.

Every carb you eat will prompt an insulin response in your body. How your body reacts depends on the carbohydrate makeup of the food you're eating. So simple carbs (sugars) will immediately break down and prompt a rapid insulin spike. Foods like bananas (which are low on the glycemic index) will break down more slowly, providing your body a more gradual and manageable insulin spike to work with.

To make it easy to visualize, imagine playing tetris. When you eat a piece of candy it's like playing tetris on level 99 when all the pieces are flying at you at high speed. When your body fills its glycogen stores (which will happen quickly because all these pieces are coming so fast) it will begin to store the remaining glucose as fat.

Now, eating a food low on the glycemic index (let's say bananas or a whole wheat product) is like playing tetris on level 1. The pieces come at you nice and slowly and your body can effectively manage glycogen stores because the food is breaking down slowly and as it does "spots" for glycogen storage open up. The body can direct nutrients to where they need to go and all is well.

I hope that answered your question.
  • lyparish
    lyparish Posts: 3
    Options
    In my opinion, firstly, nobody knows 100% about nutrition. There are theories, facts and all that, but nobody knows 100% how everything affects our bodies in every way. Secondly, everybody is different, therefore I think it's impossible to know 100% about nutrition and how it affects me, you, and your friends and what we all know/learn will affect each of us differently.

You all should watch the movie "Fat Head" ;)
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely emederos. I have done a ton of research on this sort of thing and you are correct (I am also a health care professional for over 9 years, now heading into chiropractic school)...
  • emederos
    Options
    In my opinion, firstly, nobody knows 100% about nutrition. There are theories, facts and all that, but nobody knows 100% how everything affects our bodies in every way. Secondly, everybody is different, therefore I think it's impossible to know 100% about nutrition and how it affects me, you, and your friends.

That's just plain ignorant. Although people will react differently to different macronutrients due to things such as genetic makeup (for example some people handle carbs better than others), to say that the science of nutrition should be disregarded because no one knows 100% of it is foolhardy, to say the least. The fact remains that the basics of nutritional science are rock solid.
  • lyparish
    lyparish Posts: 3
    Options
    In my opinion, firstly, nobody knows 100% about nutrition. There are theories, facts and all that, but nobody knows 100% how everything affects our bodies in every way. Secondly, everybody is different, therefore I think it's impossible to know 100% about nutrition and how it affects me, you, and your friends.

That's just plain ignorant. Although people will react differently to different macronutrients due to things such as genetic makeup (for example some people handle carbs better than others), to say that the science of nutrition should be disregarded because no one knows 100% of it is foolhardy, to say the least. The fact remains that the basics of nutritional science are rock solid.

Hey guess what, I never said to disregard it. In fact I was with you 100% on what you say. Good grief.
    Calm the **** down, eh?
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    :slowly back out of the room:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I've read about different carbs, GI index, etc, and some of your post was filling in the missing pieces.

I Iiked your comparison to tetris:laugh:
  • emederos
    Options

Hey guess what, I never said to disregard it. In fact I was with you 100% on what you say. Good grief.
    Calm the **** down, eh?

Well then i apologize, i misread your post. (p.s. - i am calm :bigsmile: )
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, firstly, nobody knows 100% about nutrition. There are theories, facts and all that, but nobody knows 100% how everything affects our bodies in every way.

That's actually true, and I say that as a registered dietitian. It is actually very difficult to perform reliable studies about nutrition because locking people in a room and monitoring exactly what they eat is considered rather unethical! haha

Honestly though, I don't agree with anything you have written (sorry!) but not going to argue it because you are clearly set on your beliefs. You do realise that there are 4 energy providing nutrients though? Just checking ;)
  • emederos
    Options
    Honestly though, I don't agree with anything you have written (sorry!) but not going to argue it because you are clearly set on your beliefs. You do realise that there are 4 energy providing nutrients though? Just checking ;)

How could you not agree with anything i've written? This is the basic function of carbohydrates in the body, it's not opinion, it's based on fact. But if you have another model of how carbs work within the body, i'd love to hear it.

And there are people who argue that liquids are a macronutrients, which I don't believe because the liquid itself is not a nutrient (the carbs, fats, and proteins within the liquid are the nutrients)
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with the action of carbs... I was disagreeing with the conclusions you drew from that.

I'm not sure who classifies liquids as a macronutrient :S but the 4 energy containing nutrients I was referring to are carbohydrates (16kj/g), protein (17kj/g), fat (37kj/g), alcohol (29kj/g).
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone jumping on someone who is just looking to educate? They aren't telling anyone 'you have to do this' or trying to convince everyone to go on a Pineapple, sprouts and liver diet. It is written for people who need help understanding carbs... those of you that are complaining obviously don't think you need help with your carbs. Are they 100% accurate - I don't know. But I do know they aren't so off base to warrant such negative comments. They aren't so off base that it can't help people who have questions about carbs.

This site is full of opinions and stories of what works for people. We all pay attention to the things that make sense to us individually and ignore the things we either don't believe or aren't ready to integrate into our lives. If you don't agree with this post and don't feel anyone is at serious risk of health issues by reading it, then don't go against the nature of this site by attacking the author.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    Thanks for the education.
  • emederos
    Options
    Sorry, I wasn't disagreeing with the action of carbs... I was disagreeing with the conclusions you drew from that.

I'm not sure who classifies liquids as a macronutrient :S but the 4 energy containing nutrients I was referring to are carbohydrates (16kj/g), protein (17kj/g), fat (37kj/g), alcohol (29kj/g).

Alcohol may be an energy containing nutrient; however, it is not classified as a macronutrient because it is not essential to our survival.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I appreciate people dropping some knowledge on us from time to time- but I just want to go on record and say there are a lot of factors to a balanced diet, and there is nothing wrong with a low two digit body fat percentage- ( double digits can be healthy). I personally need a lot of fiber to live my life right, and I sometimes get that from some plain oatmeal in the morning- which you put on the avoid list. , and some raw veggies and fruits throughout the day

I am sure you know your stuff about carbs- but I think that if a banana makes me happy, it's a much better and healthier choice than the junk many folks eat. I know this is not your point- that you are being specific about carb education, but some of the things on the "worse" list seemed like things that you described as low on the GI- so on that point I am a bit confused.