My biggest NSV to date: a half-marathon

Options
When I started becoming healthier last March I set lots of BIG goals, one of which was to run a half-marathon. I accomplished this on Sunday when I ran my first half-marathon at the Cowtown event in Fort Worth, TX. My goal was to run the entire time, and I couldn't be happier to say I did! I finished in 2:37, maintaining a 12 minute mile the entire 13.1 miles. I was shooting for a 2:30, but I won't complain! The run was a culmination of nearly a year's worth of hard work and dedication, but it's definitely not the last stop on my journey. Up next? A full marathon, and then ultras!

12977_10151460712517668_983064338_n_zpsd428f834.jpeg
This is the back of the shirt I had made for the half marathon I ran Sunday and the two I'll be running in March. It says, "From 461 pounds to 13.1 miles in 12 months. www.farfromperfect.tv"

420188_10151460712797668_1350614630_n_zps27de5329.jpeg
This is a post-race pic of my sister-in-law and myself.

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! You are an inspiration. That is the time I got for my first half last fall. Should beat it by a lot this spring. I am sure just seeing your tshirt is a boost for every runner in that race!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Great story. Keep up the good work, so have definitely earned it.
  • Kfarrell6
    Kfarrell6 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    U r awesome! I freakin love your shirt! I bet other peple at the race got a kick out of it too!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic accomplishment! Well done!!
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys! MFP has been a HUGE part of my lifestyle change!
  • amann_84
    amann_84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats man that's awesome! I completed my first half marathon last year after losing 180 pounds so I know how awesome that feels to complete something like that!
  • misifer
    misifer Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing! Congratulations, you should be SO proud!
  • fitmama2e
    fitmama2e Posts: 19
    Options
    That's inspiring, good for you!
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is so flipping amazing!! I am running my first half in 3 weeks (here in TX also), but I've run for a long time - but still, it's hard. I can't believe the huge amount of progress and accomplishments you've made in such a short time. I am in awe!!
  • hollydetra
    hollydetra Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I started becoming healthier last March I set lots of BIG goals, one of which was to run a half-marathon. I accomplished this on Sunday when I ran my first half-marathon at the Cowtown event in Fort Worth, TX. My goal was to run the entire time, and I couldn't be happier to say I did! I finished in 2:37, maintaining a 12 minute mile the entire 13.1 miles. I was shooting for a 2:30, but I won't complain! The run was a culmination of nearly a year's worth of hard work and dedication, but it's definitely not the last stop on my journey. Up next? A full marathon, and then ultras!

12977_10151460712517668_983064338_n_zpsd428f834.jpeg
    This is the back of the shirt I had made for the half marathon I ran Sunday and the two I'll be running in March. It says, "From 461 pounds to 13.1 miles in 12 months. www.farfromperfect.tv"

420188_10151460712797668_1350614630_n_zps27de5329.jpeg
    This is a post-race pic of my sister-in-law and myself.

You are such an inspiration - way to go. Half marathons are no easy task - I'm so proud of you! Keep up the great work :)
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very cool NSV indeed. I am running my first half in May. My timeline is longer than yours but it will be just as rewarding I am sure.

Your new goals are pretty awesome.
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    fantastic!
  • Daveb1355
    Daveb1355 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That is great!
  • janey2607
    janey2607 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!! Well done.
  • JoAnn73
    JoAnn73 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I'm doing my 2nd half March 17th, GA Publix half in the Atl, hoping to hit about the same time and pace. Awesome Job!!!!
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well done and thank you for sharing your story...You are an inspiration, keep up the great work, you look wonderful!!!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What a great achievement, congratulations!
  • farfromperfectdottv
    farfromperfectdottv Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Which one are you doing? I'm doing the Rock 'n' Roll Half in Dallas, which I think is 3 weeks out.
  • farfromperfectdottv
    farfromperfectdottv Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is so flipping amazing!! I am running my first half in 3 weeks (here in TX also), but I've run for a long time - but still, it's hard. I can't believe the huge amount of progress and accomplishments you've made in such a short time. I am in awe!!

Which one are you doing? I'm doing the Rock 'n' Roll half in Dallas, and I think that one is in 3 weeks.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!! Congrats!! I'm running my first half marathon in May. I'm just getting past the "What the heck was I thinking" portion of my training! :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!