Why/how did you become overweight?

Options

Replies

• squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I was always underweight and under-height as a child. I reached my adult height of 4'11 back in middle school and I never had a growth spurt. I remember a point in elementary school when I weighed 48lbs and was 48" inches tall -- I was always very small until puberty, when I weighed around 95-100lbs which was appropriate for someone my height.

I ran track in middle school and the first year of high school. In high school I had friends in every clique -- athletes, slacker, nerds, etc -- and eventually I spent more time with the slacker burnout kids than my track buddies, and I found out that drinking and partying were more fun than waking up early for track meets. Since quitting track, I gained about 7lbs a year and didn't really notice it until graduation, when I was around 120lbs but in a curvy and cute way. I think i attempted to lose weight maybe once during high school but I wasn't motivated and I felt that i looked "okay" at that weight so I wasn't that determined to get in shape.

I went to college in New York City and I thought that walking around all the time would help me lose weight, but I didn't pay attention to what I was eating, and again I fell into a routine of hanging around with the wrong people and making poor choices. By the time I had graduated college I was at my highest weight of 148lbs which doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm only 4'11 and that was considered borderline obese. One of my friends got married the summer after graduation -- when I saw pictures from her wedding (the left side of my profile pic) I was horrified and I finally accepted that I was getting fat.

Even now, I'm finally down to 120lbs again but it's frustrating because I've seen as low as 113lbs a few times over the last year and I ALWAYS gain some of the weight back. My problem is with portion size, and also with choosing the right food. I always forget that I'm so short and I want to eat as much as my guy friends eat, but I have to keep in mind that my body doesn't need to eat that much.
  • MonMarie123
    MonMarie123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was always underweight, but at the age of 12 I started a 5 year battle with anorexia and bulimia. With the help of some counseling and my best friends I was a recovering anorexic by my junior year in high school. Because of how bad my anorexia was I was always afraid to "diet" after i recovered. I gained 45lbs with my first pregnancy and lost it all withing 6 months just by being active and cutting out junk. I gained 29lbs with my second pregnancy but I had already gained about 15lbs back before I got pregnant. The second time was a lot harder, I lost 24lbs in the first 4wks because of breastfeeding but I hung on to those extra 5lbs. I don't know why I started gaining when I did, I have always eaten tons of carbs and fatty foods but I started gaining and couldnt stop.
    It got to the point where I was staying inside as much as possible because I was so embarrassed, still I avoided dieting for fear i would "take it too far"

I am now at a healthy weight, healthier than Ive ever been in my life, I eat foods that are good for my body, i dont starve myself or binge and purge, but I have learned its okay to tell myself "no" (as well as yes sometimes) and I am the happiest ive ever been. I love my life. <3
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Gained 20 lbs during my first year of marriage. Had been on the low edge of a normal BMI and got compliments on my new curves, so I went with it. Motherhood is when the real weight came on. Too many sleepless nights with cranky babies had me eating sugary foods to stay awake. Not the smartest thing to do, looking back on it, but I was in survival mode during those years. I still exercised daily and spent most of my time chasing after the kiddos, but it wasn't enough to combat the weight gain. It's really true when people say you can't out train a bad diet.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Were you always overweight? not until puberty
    Did you "let yourself go"? sure did, after high school I was no longer in sports so I just ate and didn't exercise at all other than running for the bus.
    And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food? usually too much eating out and no activity makes me fat lol
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was always moderately overweight, but I gained A LOT of weight, the majority of my weight, after my parents divorced. I ate a lot of candy to combat the stress and that packed on the pounds. It made me feel better at the time, but now I'm working my *kitten* off to lose it, quite literally.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Well, I put on weight for a number of reasons, one of them being the typical "couple bubble". You know the drill, meet somebody, settle down, go out for meals etc.

I've always been a foodie but I was never able to indulge greatly because I was always on a super-tight budget otherwise know as the "payday" diet....anybody else familiary with that?!? It is the kind of diet where you are forced to eat what is left rather than what you fancy with no money for extras.

I've always been a bit overweight, mainly due to lack of exercise and eating the wrong foods but it really spiralled when I hubby. We are both foodies, enjoyed eating out, my financial situation improved dramatically (due to new better paying job rather than hubby). We did little exercise and before I knew it I was bigger than I'd ever been....

Coming down the other side now though :-)
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    For those of you who want to share, I am interested to hear your stories about why/how you became overweight.

Were you always overweight?
    Or were you once a healthy weight?
    Did you "let yourself go"?
    Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication?
    And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?

Thank you for sharing, I think your stories will shed some light and help us to understand our weight loss journeys, since the mental component is so important, and we have to know where we come from to move forward.

Feel free to link to other past threads or groups.

I can remember in 1st grade thinking I was fat.
    I can remember in 2nd grade my teacher putting a chart on the black board of every childs weight and mine was the highest 72lbs
    I don't think I was ever a healthy weight... maybe in Kindergarten.
    I don't think I ever let myself go... I just think both of my parents worked so we had free reign of the kitchen as kids. I was not made to go outside and play, so I didn't.
    I've had many tragedies, but they all happened in adulthood.... while I was already obese.

Anyone care to psychoanalyze that??
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Did not have to deal with being overweight until I was well into adulthood. With that came stress, the loss of my dad, then came the antidepressants after that, then I piled the weight on! Not blaming it on the medicine, because I ate my feelings, meaning I am an emotional eater. No longer take meds, have been off of them for years, and I was still FAT! Now I tend not to emotional eat, and I am very mindful to ask myself if I am actually hungry.
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was an average weight until around 10 years old when I became a little heavier. I suspect I've had PCOS since puberty (I was only diagnosed at 24) and had that stupid little belly ever since then. Lack of exercise and overeating are to blame (I chose music over sports due to time constraints, didn't eat vegetables and enjoyed delicious home cooked meals). My family did not have healthy eating habits and most of my immediate family has had weight problems.

In high school I was overweight and heavier than most and ended high school around 180, I think. The summer of 2010 before my fifth year of college I was at 210 and by August of 2012 I was at my highest of 220. Then I decided to start here and it's been pretty successful. :)
  • mk834
    mk834 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm new here and wanted to share my story as well.

I had a great childhood with loving parents who cared about me and what I ate. Although both of my parents have always struggled with their weight and were always overweight (until my mom lost 35 pounds in the past couple of years and is now at a normal weight for her height [my dad is still overweight]), we always ate healthy foods—just too much of them. Don't get me wrong; there were snacks in the house, too, but we always made sure we ate a balanced diet. Due to problems with portion control and always being hungry, I have been chubby my whole life, but nothing extraordinary.

When I started high school, I was a normal weight—about 5'7" tall and 150ish pounds. I played sports and ate well (except for regular cabinet raids, which caused me to gain about 30 pounds throughout high school). I weighed about 180 when I graduated, but the weight was well-distributed and I didn't look too bad. When I started college and had no one to monitor my eating, I went a bit crazy and gained about 20 pounds my freshman year. I became vegetarian, which most people would link to a healthier diet, but I would just eat pasta, broccoli smothered in ranch dressing, cheese, ice cream, etc. I didn't own a scale in college because I was scared to face the truth.

When I went to a Planned Parenthood appointment for a checkup in 2006, I tipped the scales at 235 pounds. My blood pressure was pretty high, but even that didn't scare me into changing my lifestyle. I was diagnosed with PCOS, which could partially explain the quick weight gain. In the next two years, I put on another 10 pounds, reaching my highest weight of 245 pounds. I was unemployed, kind of depressed, and living in the suburbs where we drove everywhere.

In 2008, my fiancee and I moved to the city, and I started walking everywhere. I quickly dropped 25 pounds, and have yo-yoed between 200 and 220 ever since. I'm currently 207 pounds, 38 pounds down from my highest weight, and want to get down to about 150. I recently got bloodwork results back and, due to a healthier lifestyle, my cholesterol dropped from 200 to 160, though because of my PCOS (and insulin resistance) my blood sugar was a bit high at 102. I've been eating cleanly since the beginning of the year, joined a gym, and have been going 4–5 times a week, in addition to walking at least 40 minutes a day on top of that. I want to nip any potential health issues in the bud before they develop.

Anyway, sorry for the long-windedness, but it feels good to get it all out! I'm hoping to lose 1 to 1.5 pounds a week so that I can look amazing in my bathing suit when I go to Hawaii in November. :)
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", was a normal weight as a child and young adult. Was probably about 130 in high school. Maybe 135-140-145 through college.... and then I'd say I was on a steady slow gain, about 5 pounds a year, more or less, stabilizing at about 180-185, which I weighed for probably ten years, and consider/ed my 'normal' weight. After two kids and gain/lose though, I did get back to ~185... but then started sleeping much much less to get a bit of 'me' time in, and went up to 222, and now, I'm 44, and struggling to go back down. Healthy eating and logging x 6 months and I'm at like 207 now. I always ate fairly well, but I ate bad things too. Always have drank frequently as well, though not often excessively, not since college. No injury, no particular medications I can blame.

I ate too much. I look back, now that I'm logging, and see I probably easily ate 2500-3000 cal a day, more or less. Not binging, not a ton of fast food, just too much, probably too much booze/cookies, as well, too much late night eating.

I eat better now, it should just melt off, right? Yeah, right... lol
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and have always had a very muscular body so according to BMI, most of high school and all of college I spent overweight. I am easily stressed and in high school and college I over ate- not to mention our cafeteria food sucked. All through high school and college I did workout about 3-4 days a week. During my busiest weeks though, I often didn't get any time in because of being a music major. All through college I yo-yoed on my weight because I would work on getting super fit during the summers that I had off and then I gained it all back around November till March because I usually super swamped with school.

My first year of teaching I was actually pretty fit, then I steadily started putting on weight because I started stress eating again even though I was working out consistently. I even did P90x 6 days a week and gained 20 lbs in that time. I hit close to 170 in May 2012 and was super upset, I've always been heavy because of my muscle mass, but this wasn't muscle, it was fat I'd gained, in masses.

That was when I realized that I NEEDED to lose weight not so I could attract boys or fit into my pants that were WAY too tight, but because I felt horrible and had no self-confidence in myself. That's when I started training to races and picked up running and biking quite a bit. I didn't start really losing pounds until August though when I started up with MFP and started counting my calories. I realized that I just simply ATE way too much.

What launched me into my weightloss in August was instead of eating when I was stressed, I made my number one thing to do after work (because it was my job that was/is stressing me out) and I'd work all my stress off on the machines and feel ten times better. I suffer from depression, but don't take medication because all it makes me want to do is sleep, but exercising keeps me balanced and keeps me from stress eating as well. Now I have to say my exercise habits have now became a feel-good addiction. I guess it could be worse huh?
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • keepingm0tivated
    Options
    How? My body started collecting fat and storing it.
    Why? Because cats.
  • SammiSpring
    Options
    I've been obese since I was 4 years old. I really know nothing else. It has been a life long struggle, and I still have my doubts it will ever end.

I was even very active as a kid. I rode my bike outside every day, swam all summer, I was a fat cheerleader in junior high (yeah, people were rude about it so it wasn't that fun) on top of P.E. where we ran A LOT. Still fat through it all. I remember at 6 years old weighing 120 pounds. The lowest I remember being was 170 after I lost 30 pounds when I was 11.
  • samweee
    samweee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was always thin growing up. After moving 1300 miles away from all of my friends and family, I found it hard to get off the couch. Im no longer out shopping, or doing whatever it was that kept me busy. I now spend my free time wayching tv. Needless to say, ive gained due to inactivity and stress eating.
  • cinbol
    cinbol Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was severely underweight until age 9 - because of this the family fed me anything I would eat which mostly consisted of "bad" foods - high sugar, fats and carbs - by age 10 I was "chubby" - somewhere in my medical records it was noted that they gave me a "tonic" (this was in the early 60's) - my current doc thinks it may have been something to correct what they thought was an overactive thyroid.

Or were you once a healthy weight? I was 5'7" in HS and I always was one of the "bigger" girls but wouldn't I love to be 135 lbs again! So during those years my weight was pretty normal

Did you "let yourself go"? Wedding (at 145) and then two children and yes I let it go.. Gained 15 the first year of marriage, and then added another 15 after each child. yo-yo'd for about 20 years ( got to goal at WW once but gained it back now)

Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication? The sudden loss of my son at age 22 put me into a depression and I just haven't cared for the last 10 years... life without him has been hard but I am moving forward and a recent change in PCP got me to see that if I kept going the way I was I would be on insulin within 6 months....

I spent my free time watching tv, playing on the computer and of course eating lots of chips and sugar.... NO MORE!
  • CoxTX
    CoxTX Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been reading through this thread and pondering where it all started for me . . . I've never thought about it much, my family was big (tall & heavy), I was always the biggest kid in class, from the time I became aware of my weight, it was more than all of my friends, etc. -- but the root of the problem?

I'd have to say jealousy of my older brother. From the time I can remember, I've always been jealous of my brother. There was always a vast disparity in the WAY he and I were treated. He could do no wrong, while my behaviour was constantly being corrected. If he didn't want to do something, he would pout, and my parents wouldn't make him do it -- if I didn't want to do something, I got made to do it anyway. I believe it was my parents way of trying to help him cope with the death of our older sister -- I was only a few months old at the time so I was basically unaffected, but my brother was 4 and was devastated. Anyway, even down to chores, he was treated differently. His chores were to help my dad or grandfather build or fix stuff, which was maybe 1 night a week or a Saturday, mine were to do the laundry & dishes & clean the house every day. When he became old enough to get a job outside of the house (16), his job counted as his chore. When I got a job at 16, I still had my chores on top of my job.

All that said, the only way I found to ever feel I was getting anything equal to my brother was food. I tried to express my desire to be treated the same by eating as much as he did. I started at this fairly young and I remember my mother always saying that I didn't need to eat as much as my brother. He and I had a volatile relationship as well, if we fought, he'd tell me he wished it had been me instead of our sister that died. We never really got along until he moved out.

I developed pretty young (5'10", 160 lbs, and a 34C in 5th grade). I went to a very small school that was predominently hispanic -- girls were 5'2" and 100 lbs and I was a Jr. in High School before even the boys caught up to me. I was ridiculed for my height, my weight, any attempt at sports was a spectacle, etc. I struggled with my feelings about my weight all through high school but managed to maintain at 165 lbs. Looking back now, it was a very healthy weight for me, and I looked good, but I couldn't wear a size 4 or 6 like my classmates, so I was fat.

I joined the military immediately and went to boot camp a month after graduation. at 166 lbs, I was put on the 'Chunky Chicken' program. Once again my weight was scrutinized and everything I put in my mouth was watched. When I graduated from bootcamp, after 6 weeks of fish & veggies and constant marching and running in July in Texas, I was 148 lbs. The least I ever weighed since hitting puberty. It lasted about 45 minutes. I went to tech school, going to school at 3 p.m. and getting out at midnight and discovered Midnight Chow! Oh wow! A long night at school, then huge omelets and biscuits and gravy and pancakes and then right to bed. Brilliant plan! Then, off to Italy where there was amazing food and no drinking age! Woo Hoo!

I struggled with my weight for the entire 4 years, always on the weight program. Once I got out of the military -- Katie bar the door. Shot right up to 200. I've been somewhere between 185 & 215 ever since. Up & down & up & down. And in my head is a constant commentary about how happy I'd be if I had a flat stomach or if I wore a size 10 or if my boyfriend could pick me up like you see in the movies -- yet food is still my go-to for everything; celebration, comfort, love.

Wow that was really long and complicated -- but thanks, now I feel like should go have a good cry and let some of this stuff go.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Nope. Graduated highschool weighing 110 lbs. at 5'7". Had two kids in my 20's but weight was still under 130. Got into my 30's and my weight was around 134 and I was probably in the best shape of my life. Had another child in my late 30's and weight went up into the low 140's.

Yes...see answer below.

Or perhaps it was due to a traumatic event, injury or medication?
    Turning 40 was an awful year for me. Two months after my birthday, I found out I had thyroid cancer. Had my thyroid removed over the summer and pretty much didn't feel like working out and was eating only semi-healthy. Weight slowly started creeping up into the upper 140's. Still dealing with doctor's appointments and radiation treatments this past year and at the end of the year my weight was at it's highest at 156.

I'm about to turn 42 and I have lost a few lbs. and have been eating a lot better and exercising. I'm finally starting to get my energy back and things have settled down a little medically. Right now I'm at 152. My goal is 140 or upper 130's would be really nice!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

No, when I was young, I was not overweight, but I thought I was. I think that was part of the reason I became overweight, I always thought "Well, I'm fat anyway, no use in counting calories..." I'm 5'3 and when I graduated high school, I was 180 lbs. Then I went to college, became depressed, ate nothing but fast food, possibly 3000 calories a day and went to 220 lbs.

Certainly did. I think it was basically between having always thought I was fat and then becoming depressed and losing my sense of self-worth. Now when my depression comes back, I know to limit my intake of sweets and carbs so I only go 200-300 calories over my goal instead of going over by thousands.

And did anyone become overweight while still being an active person and (over)eating homemade, whole foods, or was it only through eating essentially crap food, processed foods, restaurant/fast food?

Mine was essentially eating way too much fast food. I still eat fast food today, but I don't eat nearly as much of it.