The price of fitness

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
So the other day i sat down and worked out how much im actually spending on fitness related things a month and it is terrible!
A month it comes down to around £90!!!
£16 gym membership a month
£60 swimming (3 sessions a week) a month
around £10 for university tennis a month!

Which is slightly ridiculous when you think about it. and the gym isnt even nice!

how much is everyone else spending?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I volunteer to get my dance classes for free and use the Wii and the local park for daily fitness.

Unfortunately, swimming lessons don't fit my work schedule, I would love to do that!
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wow, £90 a month! You must have gold plated gym equipment, lol
    That's kinda high though.

I'm in the U.S. and my uni's field house is priced at $225 per year. That's $18.75 per month. And it includes the gym, tennis, racquetball, basketball, and volleyball courts, swimming pool & hot tubs, softball field, track field, and extra fees for fitness trainers and massage therapists.

Would a regular membership at a local gym be a better alternative?
    I checked out some local gyms and some are priced around $40 per month in my area. You might find something more affordable than £90 in your area, but the price must be that high since it does include a swimming pool and it may include other perks as well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I spent 3.5 grover clevelands between my bikes and weights at home, and my muay thai gym is going to get a benjamin each month.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    $65 a month for my gym membership and it's worth it. Worth every penny.
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel very lucky - there is a local group of gyms called 10 Fitness with several locations in the metro area (Central Arkansas). It is only $10 per month. There was an initial joining fee of about $50 and an annual $25 fee, but they had a sign-up special that waived the $50 fee. It was just $0.10 to join last November.

Other than that, my husband and I have spent $3/ person going to swim at the local community center, but we've only done that once. We're hoping to get a monthly pass for $35 once his back is feeling better. He has a herniated disc which keeps him from doing too much right now.

I also recently invested about $25 in a set of TRX-style gravity straps (Gofit Bob Harper Gravity Straps) which I can use at the gym or at home. They have door stops built into the straps, so you just put those behind the door and use your own body weight as resistance. My gym partner (who is an accomplished seamstress) outfitted them with an extra length of nylon material that holds a carabiner, so we can use them at the gym (or the park, or anywhere that we can hook them up).
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I pay 0, although I did have the "start-up" cost of buying a bench, bar, plates, rack and dumbbells and all my various DVDs collected over the years. My husband gets a discount for his gym, so it's, $30, I believe. he also buys supplements, so he clearly pays a lot more than me.

Oh, wait, I did pay $20 for an eight week session of using the workout equipment at my daughters' gymnastics gym. I use it once a week while they're in class.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    $85 a month for a family membership to the 'Y'. $5 for a can of tennis balls each time I play, except when the other guys provide the balls. Already own a bike. $120 running shoes about every 6 months.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I feel very lucky - there is a local group of gyms called 10 Fitness with several locations in the metro area (Central Arkansas). It is only $10 per month. There was an initial joining fee of about $50 and an annual $25 fee, but they had a sign-up special that waived the $50 fee. It was just $0.10 to join last November.

Other than that, my husband and I have spent $3/ person going to swim at the local community center, but we've only done that once. We're hoping to get a monthly pass for $35 once his back is feeling better. He has a herniated disc which keeps him from doing too much right now.

I also recently invested about $25 in a set of TRX-style gravity straps (Gofit Bob Harper Gravity Straps) which I can use at the gym or at home. They have door stops built into the straps, so you just put those behind the door and use your own body weight as resistance. My gym partner (who is an accomplished seamstress) outfitted them with an extra length of nylon material that holds a carabiner, so we can use them at the gym (or the park, or anywhere that we can hook them up).

I have disk problems as well: the pool is the one place I can be happy!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

I'm in the U.S. and my uni's field house is priced at $225 per year. That's $18.75 per month. And it includes the gym, tennis, racquetball, basketball, and volleyball courts, swimming pool & hot tubs, softball field, track field, and extra fees for fitness trainers and massage therapists.

I checked out some local gyms and some are priced around $40 per month in my area. You might find something more affordable than £90 in your area, but the price must be that high since it does include a swimming pool and it may include other perks as well.

its cos i kinda did a silly thing and not get gym and swimming at the same gym which would have saved me like £40! which is what i think im gonna do next year. that gym is like half an hour walk away which is a bit of a trek! especially walking back
  • rdelsaz
    rdelsaz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    $100.00 per month in gym membership. Worth it, I find that it keeps me focus and motivated.
    $10.00 Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred. Purchased yesterday on Amazon.com. I've seen and read so many positive results from it, so I decided to give it a try. :)
    Monthly grocery bills have gone up because I am choosing healthier alternatives and cooking at home every day, but "lunch money" and "eating out money" spent have decreased tremendously!
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    we have a family membership at our gym that runs $70 a month.....

that's all I spend..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've spent about $150 on free weights to lift at home, and I run outside. So my only cost is new shoes every 6 months and more weights when I max out what I have.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options

its cos i kinda did a silly thing and not get gym and swimming at the same gym which would have saved me like £40! which is what i think im gonna do next year. that gym is like half an hour walk away which is a bit of a trek! especially walking back

Oh, I see.
    But price aside, I'm sure whatever you're paying now is worth it because it's conveniently closer to you and you do have a lot of workout choices. so don't feel bad about it. :smile:
    But I agree, that next year getting them both at the same time might be a more frugal option. And you can also take this time as an opportunity to try out different gym equipment and see which one you like best so you can purchase your own in the future to save yourself from paying gym membership fees :wink:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I spend $100 per year for the fitness center on campus where I work, but I only go there a few times per week. I use the (free) track and bleachers almost daily, as well as running my neighborhood and hitting fitness courses at a park close by.

Now, for tennis I probably spend a good $50 per month in court fees, balls, etc. More than worth it to me.

Aside from that, averaged over a year for equipment and clothing, I would say I spend a good $50 per month on average.

Worth every penny!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I pay $25 a month for gym membership - not bad at all

I spend about $50 -$100 a month on clothes, or new supplies for lifting, however. My local sporting goods store loves me. lol
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I pay £60 a month, for that I get the full use of the gym, the pool and as many classes as I can/want to fit in.

I used to go to the local council run gym, it was much cheaper per month, but there were no classes that were interesting at the times I could get to the gym... and also they had far less equipment... I think they used to charge extra for the popular classes too...
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The cost of my fitness is workout DVDs for home, sneakers that are able to endure the workouts, workout clothes.....

That's it. Oh & more weights.

Fitness isn't expensive, it's how you choose to do it, that is expensive.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My fitness costs me almost nothing. I bought a stationary bike for $140 that is terrific, and 2 kettlebells and a weighted hula hoop. Then I bookmarked a bunch of YouTube videos for kettlebell and other types of exercise routines. After that, $0.00 on-going costs.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Nada.. my company sponsers a Metro YMCA gym membership for our area
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I spend $10/month for membership at the fitness center at my work. I've bought a few DVDs over the years but those are typically $20 or less. Last year I spent $25 on a 7 visit pass to a gym near home but I decided to skip that this year since it wasn't that nice and took too much time just to get there. I can easily either put in a workout DVD or do some body weight strength/cardio exercises.