need help with cooking

Options
I've been on a Diet through my MD for five weeks and have lost 20 pounds. I need help. I've been cooking a lot of onions and garlic and mushrooms in a skillet (to eat with veggie burgers or tonight with summer squash). I used to use a ton of butter to fry them up now I'm using 2 Tbls of olive oil BUT olive oil has 239 calories in it!!! Any suggestions for a substitute?

Replies

• jodie32790
    jodie32790 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    is it regular olive oil or Extra virgin olive oil?
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes it's easier to make a big change rather than to try to tweak an existing practice. So, instead of trying to find an olive oil substitute for frying, why don't you try steaming broccoli and topping it with some chopped nuts, or slicing cucumbers and dipping them in hummus. The crunchier texture might complement the veggie burger texture nicely too.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you have a gas stove, you could try cooking with a well seasoned cast iron skillet. You'd need less oil that way.
  • littleblackcar
    Options
    Get a nonstick frying pan! I've NEVER used that much oil to saute anything, especially vegetables that release juice, anyway. If you need more liquid and flavor, use a bit of vegetable broth or even water and reduced-sodium bouillon.

Butter and olive oil, etc., are all fats. From a caloric standpoint, it makes no difference. Olive oil is not saturated fat, true, but it's not "lighter" than butter.
  • monaghme
    monaghme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    maybe try sauteing the veggies in low sodium chicken broth...or veggie broth if you're not eating meat.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Use chicken broth/stock. It will keep your veggies from sticking, and give them some really good flavor. Just pour a little bit in the pan, enough to coat the veggies, and start cooking. id the beggies start sticking, add some more stock. If you're watching your sodium, there Are reduced salt and even salt free broths that are spld in grocery stores.

I also second the suggestion that you get a non stick pan. They are marvelous inventions.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can successfully dry fry .
    Its best to invest in a really good heavy (possibly copper) bottomed pan. Pour about 1 tsp in the pan when cool and brush it well around the pan before heating and adding the veg.
    I know this works as i do it all the time! :-)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Any liquid will do. I successfully sauteed fennel, mushrooms and scallops in a little tomato juice the other day.

If you're adding mushrooms, they will release a lot of juice themselves, so you wont need much to get them started.
  • emberlyx
    emberlyx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got one of the ceramic non-stick frying pans - and I've used it to sautee all my veggies in since I got it. I just barely put a touch of extra virgin olive oil in (less than half a tablespoon) - or spray a touch of Pam- and it turns out great! It doesn't stick, and it's the easiest clean up EVER. So much better than traditional non-stick pans.