Veggie Burgers? Newbie question....

Options
Is there a difference in brands of veggie burgers and if so, what are some of the better ones? What am I looking for on the label to get a good quality veggie burger?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have loved Morningstar's spicy black bean burgers. They have real corn and beans in them. However, I recently tried Gardenburger's chipotle black bean burgers and loved them more! Real rice, corn, and beans, and only 100 calories each.

I tried Morningstar's veggie (not black bean) burger and it smelled like cat vomit. Without doing a full experiment, I think it tasted pretty similar too...
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Blah. Forget the fake ground meat. If you want a veggie burger, I'd just go with a marinated grilled portabello mushroom top or two.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The Lightlife Veggie burgers are my faves. The Mellow Mushroom is delish and the Backyard Burger reminds me of grilling with my Grandfather as a kid!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I like both Boca and Morningstar--though not a "vegan", I tried because my dtr is a pescatarian and bth brands are not to bad.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    As far as the label goes... it depends what you are looking for.

-The shorter the ingredient list the better, but frozen foods are going to be longer in general. But often these can be filled with veggies & good for you grains.

-There are higher & lower fat/carb/calorie versions, there is definitely one out there that works for your diet & taste buds. The websites for Morningstar, Lightlife, Gardenburger and Boca brands all have nutritional info available online if you are needing to find (or avoid) something specific.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My favorite are Dr Praeger's California Veggie Burgers, which I buy at Trader Joe's but have seen at other grocery stores. They're low-calorie and don't have any weird ingredients.

http://www.drpraegers.com/California-Veggie-Burgers-P127.aspx

Sometimes I like to make my own--this is a good recipe (don't have the macros, I haven't made them since starting here):

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2012/01/04/loaded-quinoa-veggie-burgers/