Couch to 5K

Options
I just completed W2D3 this morning and I read what they require for next week. I admit I am more than a little nervous and you can throw in some scared as well. I have read where a lot of people on here are doing the program (probably not the same exact one as there are many). I don't read where anyone is having the trouble that I am having. Am I alone? I am having a very rough time with it as I am getting burning in my legs by the outside of my ankles. I push through it and have completed each day. I just don't feel it getting easier....

Any advise? I have never been a jogger/runner. I am not in shape and of course am overweight....

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for good shoes at a running store? Having proper support is really important to prevent injury. When you're doing the program the run sections don't have to be a full out sprint. Just anything faster than a walk, so both feet are leaving the ground for a second. It's not about speed but developing endurance.

If the pain is persistent then get it checked out before you end up with an injury.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    the next week always looks scary. i just finished week 7. just do the best you can.......... sometimes as you lose it becomes easier too so as you go you may find its not so bad. i know with 16 pounds less on me i have no problem with the full jog but in the beginning i huffed and puffed more. i also wear braces on both knees and one ankle. make sure you dont get injured.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Bu sure to run slowly. Don't worry about your speed at *all*. If you're jogging at a walking speed-- that's absolutely fine. It's just about building up to the time intervals. Speed will come in time.
  • junkie_99
    Options
    Did you get fitted for good shoes at a running store? Having proper support is really important to prevent injury. When you're doing the program the run sections don't have to be a full out sprint. Just anything faster than a walk, so both feet are leaving the ground for a second. It's not about speed but developing endurance.

If the pain is persistent then get it checked out before you end up with an injury.

This...go to a running store. Remember, your first 5k will be a personal best, so don't fret speed at this point.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options

No I have regular sneakers that I have been using. I believe I need to get me some running shoes. Thank you for the suggestion.

When I read how fast others are going I feel quite defeated. I do the brisk walk at 2.7 and then the jog at 3.5. I can't get anywhere near what everyone else is without actually running.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This ^
    I am on week 3 day 3 and in the beginning I was going to fast and it was rough. I slowed my pace and its a huge difference. Getting fitted for running shoes is a must and makes all the difference in the calf burning area unless you are dealing with an injury. Good luck
  • ambate2
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with others! No matter how "slow" you are going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! When I started C25K, I had a hard time too. When I'd look ahead, it'd scare the crap out of me. But I just kept going. It's good that you're pushing yourself. And remember, it's ok if you redo a week because you don't feel ready for the next week. I'm proud of you for getting up and doing this. It definitely took me more than the 9 weeks of the program to feel "fit" enough to run a 5k, but I did it. And before you know it, you'll be doing it too!
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is stop comparing yourself to others. Everyone here is at different fitness levels. It is great that you are completing it instead of sitting on the couch. I just started day 1 today and I am 253 pounds. I have never been a jogger but man when i completed it I was so proud of myself. Like others have said, get yourself a good pair of running shoes and keep on keeping on.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    To echo everyone else, I'm on week 7 and this is what I've learned:

* Good shoes (or at least good inserts for your shoes) are a must.
    * Focus on your form and run slowly to avoid injury. You want to finish, not go fast and get hurt.
    * I always run with music in my headphones, because if I hear myself huffing and puffing, I'm more likely to quit.
    * It always looks hard, but you CAN do it. You'll be surprised at what you can do, so long as you do it carefully so you don't get hurt.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options

No I have regular sneakers that I have been using. I believe I need to get me some running shoes. Thank you for the suggestion.

When I read how fast others are going I feel quite defeated. I do the brisk walk at 2.7 and then the jog at 3.5. I can't get anywhere near what everyone else is without actually running.

As someone else said, don't worry about your speed at this point--go as slowly as you need. If you stick with it, you will get faster eventually.

Also, don't be afraid to repeat weeks as needed!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself with others! No matter how "slow" you are going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch! When I started C25K, I had a hard time too. When I'd look ahead, it'd scare the crap out of me. But I just kept going. It's good that you're pushing yourself. And remember, it's ok if you redo a week because you don't feel ready for the next week. I'm proud of you for getting up and doing this. It definitely took me more than the 9 weeks of the program to feel "fit" enough to run a 5k, but I did it. And before you know it, you'll be doing it too!

Thank you! I try not to compare myself to others on here and usually am pretty good about it. However lately I have been feeling discouraged and then I see how everyone else is doing and it gets to me. I am not skinny at all but there are people out there bigger than me and they seem to be doing okay....

I am going to keep pushing. If I can't do W3D1, then I am going to do week 2 over again.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you can't compare yourself to other people. I think a big part of it is finding your pace. I walk at about 3.6 or .7 and I run at 4.7..
  • ECatherineS
    Options

This is exactly it.
    I spent years running in my mother's hand me down shoes. I didn't understand why I would end up in pain or with new blisters almost every time I ran. I finally caved and bought myself a new pair of running shoes that are an extremely different style than my mother's and I will never go back. There are tons of different styles, go try some on and see what fits! It does a world of difference. =]
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Oh dear. You cannot do c25k without proper running shoes.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

Hell, girl, you are doing a hell of a lot better than me, I haven't even convinced myself yet to start C25K! So hats off to you for battling through it and don't worry about what everyone else does - this particular "everyone" here hasn't even gotten off the couch yet!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're wearing the right kind of shoes. I've done the program twice (I LOVE IT) and for the second time around, my boyfriend decided to join me for some of the workouts. For the first two weeks he was running in BASKETBALL SHOES and he was wondering why his feet/legs/back/entire body would hurt him. He didn't believe me when I told him that all shoes are not created equally and that he should really invest in a pair of running sneakers. Once I convinced him to buy a pair, he was amazed by the comfort and how running seemed to be easier when the shoes are working with you to push you off the ground, rather than smack awkwardly on the pavement, thwack thwack thwack, jostling around your ankles and misaligning everything.

Don't worry about your speeds. I used to run competitively in high school. Fast forward about eight years and here I am, using a program for couch potatoes because I forgot how to be active. Even after completing this program my running speed isn't all that great, so I may try it a third time to work on increasing my speed.

Go at your own pace and you'll grow to LOVE running. If you push yourself too hard at first you may start to hate it and dread your workouts.
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree get good shoes, not at ****'s Sporting Goods, or any type of big chain store, but a running specific store. Everyone runs differently, and they need to watch you run/walk to fit your properly.

Also, if you need too, repeat a week. If you're not ready to move on it's better to move slowly. And speed comes later, you need too build endurance first.

This program is great! I was completely overwhelmed and scared when I started, now I run several half and full marathons a year! It works! Congratulations!
  • littlebraze84
    Options
    Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you need to...I know I was stuck at week 4 for a while. As of right now I've been on week 6 for a 2 weeks and that's ok because each week it feels a little easier and I know soon I'll be ready for the next step. You need to do it at your own pace and don't forget to stretch after. Stretching is just as important as the workout itself because it helps reduce injury, reduces sorness after a run and also helps you perform better.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I on week 1 and I am having the same problems as you. Not so much with the pain in my ankles but I'm not fast at all. I try not to let other people's speed get to me because I know that just by going out and trying it is better than I was doing before. Also, repeat a week or a day if you have too. I completed week 1 and I felt like I wasn't ready for week 2 yet because I was having a few more difficulties than I planned. (Not that anyone plans for difficulties.) But just trying and doing your best is what matters!

I'm here for you if you would like support!
  • farfromperfectdottv
    Options
    Stay focused on the long-term (your first 5K) and fight through all the short-term struggles. I started the Couch to 5K last July and thought I was going to die most days, but over time it got easier. It's one step at a time, one day at a time. Keep moving however slowly you need to now because in time you will build on that. Focus on stamina first, worry about speed later. I ran my first 5K September '12 weighing 350 pounds, and I just ran my first half-marathon Sunday weighing 270 pounds. All things in time, just remember to keep moving forward. Regardless of how slow you think you may be going, you're still lapping everyone sitting on the couch!

I actually blogged about this earlier today if you want to check out my post. Maybe that will help encourage you some more :)
    http://farfromperfectdottv.blogspot.com/2013/02/my-first-half-marathon.html