airport snacks?

Options
hello everyone,

i'm looking for some snack advice! soon i will be doing a long flight. i haven't been on a flight since i started my weight loss journey. usually when i travel i eat very bad. i usually have a huge breakfast sandwich before i board the flight and then i bring all sorts of candy and chips on the flight and buy the food they sell on board the plane.

i was wondering if anyone had any snack that are filling to bring on an airplane. i would bring like a granola bar but those never fill me! i wanted to bring some fruit but i didn't think that it would stay good.

please let me know if anyone has any ideas! i know that it is kind of a simple question to be asking but i could use some help. thank you so much.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Protein bars

Nuts and fruit - apples stay good for a long time, dried fruits even longer

Cheese sticks

Hard boiled eggs
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am a business traveler so I have this down to a science! First, airport food is overpriced and 90% of it is unhealthy. Avoid it if possible. I always have snacks with me that I bring from home that don't need refrigeration:

1. Nuts in a ziploc bag are my best friend. Filling and you don't need much to satiate any hunger. Just watch your portion sizes. You can even buy those 100 calorie packs of almonds if portion control is an issue.

2. If I have a longer flight but not long enough to have a meal served, I will pack a PB&J. Using natural peanut butter and whole grain bread, it keeps me full and easily gets through airport security without question!

3. Fruit is great- apples, bananas, pears, oranges, etc all travel well

Also, have a plan. I generally am in the same airports so I know the lay of the land. When going to a new airport, I look online and see what chain places are there and determine..."OK, I need lunch while at the airport in Charlotte; there are the following chain restaurants there, let me look at the nutrition info and see what is a good bet."

Lastly, Starbucks is my savior for a hefty snack or quick lunch. Their protein plate really fills for 300-odd calories and just about every single airport has a Starbucks. It includes a hard boiled egg, apple slices with natural peanut butter in a pouch, grapes, cheese, etc. It is easily bought in the airport and brought on a plane or scarfed down inside the airport before you board.

There is no reason to eat junk just because you are flying. If you choose to eat well, it can easily be done!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Bag up some grapes or berries and put them in tupperware to prevent smashing. Get a protein bar. If you like snacky, chippy stuff, try one of those 100 calorie snack mix bags or pre-portion a ag of your favorite chips.

A big for me is just keeping myself busy to keep from being snacky. i eta ALL THE THINGS whenever we're on a road trip. Get a Soduku book or crossword puzzles or some games on your iPod/Pad/phone whatever. Take a bok or magazine.

Fill up on a nice breakfast before leaving. You can make a good breakfast sandwich yourself for not too many calories. I find fruits like apples or pears help me feel full. oatmeal might not be a bad option for breakfast, either.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 hour bus ride ahead of me next Wednesday and I've been thinking the same thing.
    The kind of "meal plan" I am planning for myself is going to be something like this:

Breakfast (at home): Cereal, cup of coffee/tea, orange juice. That way I can fill myself up properly so I don't want a mid morning snack.
    Lunch: Sandwich that I will make before I leave. Atleast 2 pieces of fruit. At this point I would probably throw in a chocolate bar to eat more towards the end of my journey for sugar or something else a little bit naughty but ok as I will be keeping within my calories.
    Dinner: Something light like another sandwich, ham and eggs, etc.

It's difficult on long journeys as you don't really have room to move around and burn off any fuel so you will probably find you wont be as hungry as you would in your normal day to day routine anyway.

The best advice I can give you is to take lots of fruit and ration out your food throughout the journey so you are eating when you are hungry rather than eating meals because it's easier to snack throughout the day when you have nothing to do.
  • hampstenj
    hampstenj Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue Next Friday, staying in a hotel the night before, most holiday inn express hotels have a pretty decent breakfast though thankfully so I should be good there. Then the fun begins, I have a 3 hour layover at Dallas Love Field, thankfully giving me time to have a long walk to burn off calories, but not sure at all on what to eat there, last time I flew through Love field was 5 or 6 years ago now and all I remembered them having was a McDonalds, Chilis, and a pizza hut... neither of them the best in terms of healthy food options lol.. so stumped on that aspect for lunch,
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This is perfect timing for me. I'm heading out tomorrow and have a short flight with only a 45 minutes layover, than another longer flight. I know I'll be starving a crabby when I get in if I don't have some kind of snack but I was worried about finding any kind of decent food at the airport. I'll bring some fruit and nuts. Perfect.
  • jcc4
    jcc4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've even gone as far as to pack a salad with chicken!! I just put the dressing in one of those plastic 3 oz containers they sell to pack your shampoo and stuff in when you are flying. :smile:
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I frequently travel internationally and second the suggestions to pack nuts and dried fruits. (I find that fresh fruit is often heavy and I try to travel light.) Something else I have found to be very helpful, not just for the flight but for the trip in general, is to bring my own refillable water bottle and protein/fitness shake powder. It weighs almost nothing and in a pinch I can fill-up on something nutritious when I can't find an acceptable meal.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I am a business traveler so I have this down to a science! First, airport food is overpriced and 90% of it is unhealthy. Avoid it if possible. I always have snacks with me that I bring from home that don't need refrigeration:

1. Nuts in a ziploc bag are my best friend. Filling and you don't need much to satiate any hunger. Just watch your portion sizes. You can even buy those 100 calorie packs of almonds if portion control is an issue.

2. If I have a longer flight but not long enough to have a meal served, I will pack a PB&J. Using natural peanut butter and whole grain bread, it keeps me full and easily gets through airport security without question!

Also, have a plan. I generally am in the same airports so I know the lay of the land. When going to a new airport, I look online and see what chain places are there and determine..."OK, I need lunch while at the airport in Charlotte; there are the following chain restaurants there, let me look at the nutrition info and see what is a good bet."

Lastly, Starbucks is my savior for a hefty snack or quick lunch. Their protein plate really fills for 300-odd calories and just about every single airport has a Starbucks. It includes a hard boiled egg, apple slices with natural peanut butter in a pouch, grapes, cheese, etc. It is easily bought in the airport and brought on a plane or scarfed down inside the airport before you board.

There is no reason to eat junk just because you are flying. If you choose to eat well, it can easily be done!

Great post, though on the rare occasions I travel through Charlotte I'm going to Bojangles. Healthy be damned!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Great post, though on the rare occasions I travel through Charlotte I'm going to Bojangles. Healthy be damned!

HA! You are speaking my language. I can live without most fast food but the few times a year this New England girl is near a Bojangles....GAME ON! Fried chicken, biscuit, fries and sweet tea, thankyouverymuch.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everybody!
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    this is exactly the sort of topic I was looking for because I'll be traveling for my spring break :) thanks for the suggestions!
  • hampstenj
    Options
    Thanks a LOT for the suggestions, I could pack nuts in my carry on briefcase with me for stuff to munch on during my layover for sure.. one thing I hate is that airports charge an arm and a leg for water..
  • hampstenj
    Options
    and problem solved.... I'll just bring my own bottle that's empty :) thank you TSA for not eliminating that option, hard to believe that they could do something sane for consumers.... but they did!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    carrot sticks, different nuts, celery (veggies in general I love so much). How long is the flight?
  • hampstenj
    Options
    carrot sticks, different nuts, celery (veggies in general I love so much). How long is the flight?

90 minutes or so from STL to Dallas, then a 3 hour layover there with another 45 minute flight to West Texas...
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Oranges, bananas and apples don't need refrigeration and they'll be tasty.
    Hard boiled egg.. just peel it ahead of time at home... if you peel it in flight you'll stink up the whole plane.
    Beef jerky.. yeah, it has a lot of sodium but high protein and delish. makes me feel like I'm eating chips
    Cheese stick. Tastes nice with the beef jerky
    Ryveta crackers and lite cheese wedges
    Dried fruit
    Sunflower seeds in the shell... takes a LONG time to eat a serving and can keep you busy for hours.
    A lovely piece of green and blacks dark chocolate... just to have that satisfying Chocolatey sweetness!

I don't bring nuts on the plane.. these days there are so many people with severe nut allergies and being in such a confined space, I'd hate for my snack to cause anyone to have a reaction.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
    I just wanted to add, be sure you get really hydrated the day or two before you go. Helps with satiation, too IMO.
  • nostgnebsj
    nostgnebsj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to let you know about a snack bar that was just released that you might like. I usually do not like any bars and also do not get full from them. It is a new raw bar and it tastes very good and is more filling than most. It has 5 grams of fiber and protein!

My daughter loves them and takes one for snack at school ever since I got them a couple of weeks ago. It is a fruit and nut blend and all natural. Here is the link to info on it in case you want to check it out. https://www.advocare.com/130136820/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=A3901&id=E

Good luck on your journey to your weight goal!

Jennifer
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! An old post, but a goodie!

Here's what I brought with me on my last international long-haul flight: A snack sized Ziploc baggie with almonds, two or three Babybel lite cheeses (great because they are individually wrapped and keep their shape during travel and are only 50 cals), Fiber One protein bars (so yummy and filling, plus they address my chocolate cravings), four slices of whole grain bread in a sandwich sized Ziploc (I can replace the white rolls or 'wheat'--not whole wheat--rolls in meals with my own slice, and in the airport, I can get a McDonald's grilled chicken sandwich, pull out the fillings and put them between my own slices), some dried fruit in a Ziploc, an 'emergency' protein bar with 20 g. of protein (in case the flights are delayed, or I'm stuck somewhere overnight), some cherries in a Ziploc... plus an extra ziptop bag for the pits) and a regular Fiber One bar.

I also brought a snack sized "tea/coffee break" baggie with two or three of my favourite herbal teas, plus some of those individual Folger's coffees and some packets of Equal. The flight attendants were happy to give me hot water, and the tea breaks kept me from mindlessly noshing on junk.

Also popped in a WW brownie (individually wrapped) and several Werther's sugar free candies which came in handy when the flight attendants passed out sugary sweets before dimming the lights (the Werther's can be sucked and last a long time...like during movies).

I keep two empty grocery bags crushed down into my carry-on; one to throw away any rubbish in flight, and another to dispose of any biosecurity hazard foods (anything like nuts or seeds or fruit) on leaving the plane. I keep the individually wrapped bars and treats (declared them, and they were no problem as they are processed), though, as they come in handy during the trip as well!