What do you eat for breakfast?

Options
studentRN
studentRN Posts: 440 Member
I'm making my grocery list and I'm looking for some ideas for breakfast items. I'm really trying to lower my carb intake as well as my sodium intake. I know I need some carbs in the morning but lately I've been eating almost 50g! :sick:

I'm somewhat of a picky eater, but recently I've found that I like egg whites, so I have added these into my regular routine, and I like turkey bacon or sausage but they are somewhat high in sodium. I want something that's going to keep me full and under 300 cals or so.

Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal, but I mix my milk with protein powder, then pour it over my kashi golean cereal. Talk about a really good, high protein, high-fiber breakfast!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    To be honest i usually have a bag of frozen veggies (like asparagus stir fry) and a chicken breast or two to go with it. I am on my feet 8-14 hours a day and that gives me a solid foundation. On the weekends I usaully have frozen fruit with yogurt. :-)
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Apples and cinnimon oatmeal :)
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    3 egg whites with pace picante sauce on them
    Pure protein bar

or

3 egg whites/pace
    homemade Protein/fruit smoothie
  • Kblack2882
    Kblack2882 Posts: 20
    Options
    Whole Weat English mufffin, three slices of canadian bacon and two egg whites, it's the bomb!
  • Saric
    Saric Posts: 2
    Options
    Homemade smoothie made with frozen fruit (today was strawberries, blueberries, peaches and raspberries) low fat plain yogurt, 100% grape juice and some ice cubes...I freeze it in individual servings and defrost one whenever I want one. Lots of options and changes to make this how you want it, can add protein mixes and other things as needed.
  • curlygirl71
    curlygirl71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just tried Thomas' Bagel Thins which are 110 calories and 24 carbs for an entire one. Another great product is Nickles Light Multigrain Bread which has 70 cals and 17 carbs for TWO slices! Makes a nice sandwich with the egg whites, turkey bacon and you could throw on some cheese or humus to zip it up.

I hate to admit it but my breakfast is usually a high protien bar. Lots of protien to keep me full, low cals, carbs and fat and I can eat it on the go.

Hope this helps a little!
  • stacymac
    stacymac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Kashi Waffles are an excellent choice. I'm hooked on them. Recently I started to make breakfast sandiwches with them-with a Gardenburger Sausage patty, egg and a slice of Soy cheddar.

Something else we like is grape nuts, heated with soy milk and blueberries. It tastes better than it sounds! :)
  • vinjama
    vinjama Posts: 52
    Options
    Most of the time its
    1/2 cup oatmeal
    2 tablespons half n half
    1 banana or 1/2 cup strawberries
    1 tablspoon peanut butter

and sometimes its

.75 cups egg whites
    1/2 cup ground turkey
    .5 avocado
    2 tblespoon Casa Sanchez Salsa
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal with blueberries or bananas. I add a teaspoon of brown sugar to made it sweet and use soy milk to cook the oatmeal. I feel pretty full afterwards and it's really tasty.
  • lilyrose96
    Options
    Well I ether have some cereal like weetbix, oats or muesli or some fruit or some whole meal breaded toast or a tuna sandwich, oh and I always have a Muller light fat free yogurt lol
    And a smoothie is also a good breakfast idea if you’re in a rush
    :smile:
    i hope that helps
  • Duganhorse
    Duganhorse Posts: 55
    Options
    One of my favorites is an egg sandwitch with Orowheat sandwhitch thins. I fry 1 egg in pam and put a slice of Sargento baby swiss cheese on it. It has 240 cal, 22 carbs, 5g fiber, 10g fat, and 325mg sodium. You could probably cut the fat down using a light cheese or egg whites instead. I personally like a whole egg as many of the vitamins in eggs are in the yolk.
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options

.75 cups egg whites
    1/2 cup ground turkey
    .5 avocado
    2 tblespoon Casa Sanchez Salsa

Wow that sounds good!
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    6 Egg Whites
    6oz. Top Round or Top Sirloin Steak
    1 Glass Motts 100% Apple Juice (to spike insulin)
    1 Cup Slow-Rolled Oats.
    1 Banana.
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm hungry now! :p
  • softlyspoken68
    Options
    i honestly usually don't eat breakfast...
    if i'm hungry i eat
    if i'm not, i don't
    i don't focus on breakfast; lunch and dinner...
    i focus on hunger signals...
    like last night for dinner...a bowl of multi grain cheerios with 2%milk...:)
    just what i really want and in portions though and only when i'm hungry
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup quick rolled oats
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1/4 tsp brown sugar

water
  • emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    i honestly usually don't eat breakfast...
    if i'm hungry i eat
    if i'm not, i don't
    i don't focus on breakfast; lunch and dinner...
    i focus on hunger signals...
    like last night for dinner...a bowl of multi grain cheerios with 2%milk...:)
    just what i really want and in portions though and only when i'm hungry

You should really make an effort to eat breakfast every day.

Studies show that people who eat breakfast on a consistent basis tend to be significantly leaner than those who don't. Additionally, breakfast is a great way to stunt the release of cortisol (a hormone that tells your body to store fat). Additionally, breakfast is a jumpstart to your metabolism which is, literally, still asleep. Sending food down your gullet tells your internal furnace, "hey! get cooking again" and puts your body back in position to burn fat.

Start each day with breakfast, no excuses.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    With some small variation on fruits and veggies I usually have:

1 egg and 1 or 2 whites scrambled with spinach and sometimes a turkey sausage patty, topped with green onion and chopped tomatoes, sometimes a sprinkle of cheese, with a few strawberries or other berries on the side

I sometimes also make the above, except for the fruit of course, in a larger amount and bake it in the oven in a muffin tin so I have individual servings I can reheat in the microwave

Or:

Plain greek yogurt with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or whatever mixed in, sometimes with a spoonful of peanut butter swirled in, rarely with a sprinkle of some kind of whole grain low sugar cereal
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Im a breakfast eater, I eat more if Im working that day. Usually I have
    1 slice of whole grain toast
    100% natural peanut butter
    1 cup all Bran flakes with milk
    yogurt (sometimes) if im not satisfied or if so I eat it a little later.

I would never survive on a smootie or just fruit. But hey we are all different!