what's the difference

Options
at the store they sell (in bulk) whole wheat flour and whole wheat bread flour, one is 20 cents per pound more than the other, I have been using the cheeper one (whole wheat flour) but I wonder if the other would make a better bread. Does anybody know what the difference is, if there is any real difference and would it be worth it to spend the extra amount.

Replies

• emederos
    emederos Posts: 25
    Options
    Whole wheat bread flour means hard whole wheat, not soft whole wheat. It is more challenging to make bread with whole wheat flour than its counterpart.
  • annastasia76
    annastasia76 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    when you say soft whole wheat, is it from a different variety of wheat seed or is it ground more finely?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Bread flour makes it easier for bread to rise and to have a lighter consistency. I think it has more gluten in it? I have read you can add gluten to regular flour to get the same effect, but I'm not sure how that would factor out cost-wise. I haven't splurged for the bread flour yet so I can't tell you if it makes a huge difference in the final product or not. I'm actually still looking for a good whole wheat bread recipe. :)
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    "bread" or "high grade" flour has a higher gluten content, and is better for bread than standard flour.

IME it makes a huge difference
  • annastasia76
    Options
    thanks all, I guess I may have to splurge once to see if there is a huge difference, as long as it's still the same nutritional content
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    IMO bread flour is much easier to use when making bread. Rises much much better.
  • annastasia76
    Options
    well, I just bought some wheat bread flour and I'm going to try it. I looked at the nutritional info and the wheat bread flour only has 1/3rd of the fiber and protein and the regular wheat flour, so later I might attempt to just buy the regular wheat flour and add gluten to it, the store sells gluten flour right next to the wheat flour and gives instructions on how to mix it.