Newbie with questions-1200 Calorie intake

Options
I have been using the app for a month and lost 22 lbs. But I had a discussion with a friend last night and he said I am doing this wrong.

I am 6'5 and currently weigh 334.

I am eating 1200 calories a day and working out at least 30 minutes to an hour every day on the treadmill burning between 1000-1300 calories a day. My goal on the treadmill is to burn more than I eat for the day.

A typical day I eat

Breakfast-2 packets of oatmeal for breakfast
Snack- 1 kiwi
Lunch-Tuna & crackers
snack-yogurt
Dinner-Grilled chicken and veggies

I am not hungry, I do not get head aches. I feel good.

But he says I am not eating enough.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I have been using the app for a month and lost 22 lbs. But I had a discussion with a friend last night and he said I am doing this wrong.

I am 6'5 and currently weigh 334.

I am eating 1200 calories a day and working out at least 30 minutes to an hour every day on the treadmill burning between 1000-1300 calories a day. My goal on the treadmill is to burn more than I eat for the day.

A typical day I eat

Breakfast-2 packets of oatmeal for breakfast
    Snack- 1 kiwi
    Lunch-Tuna & crackers
    snack-yogurt
    Dinner-Grilled chicken and veggies

I am not hungry, I do not get head aches. I feel good.

But he says I am not eating enough.

Any suggestions or help would be great.

Are you just eating the 1200, or are you eating back your exercise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While you may be ok for awhile, eating that little and burning that much is a recipe for a huge plateau and a significant amount of muscle loss. The minimum for men is around 1500 and that is if the are sedentary. Active men should be around 1800- 2100 calories or more. I would also suggest dropping the cardio down to 3 days a week and start weight training. If you don't have equipment you can look up body weight exercises or pick up some resistance bands. If you do this with adequate protein, then you can help maintain your muscle, even while on the lower calorie diet. Also, I would suggest more protein, probably shoudl aim for around 200g's based on your size.
  • blanhe2
    Options
    You need to eat at least half of those exercise calories because otherwise your weightloss will slow, and you may mess up your metabolism. Your friend is right, you are not eating enough.
  • Lanie2012
    Lanie2012 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think you aren't eating too few calories, it's what you're eating that might have an affect on your weight loss. 22 lbs in a month is awesome, GOOD FOR YOU! I would recommend upping your veggie and lowering your carb intake. Give your body the nutrients it needs rather than starving it and then giving it a bunch of 'sugar' aka carbs to sustain itself during the day. I am on Atkins, not for everyone. But I've noticed that I eat and eat and eat all day - tons of veggies, tons of snacks (ie: soya nuts, fresh veggies, FULL FAT DIPS) and I feel great, high energy.

I say, if you're not feeling the best then look at upping your veggies then you can get a LOT MORE bang for your buck :)
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The general belief is that 1200 is the minimum amount of calories your body needs to function properly. When you say that you eat 1200 cal, do you mean that you eat 1200 total for the day or 1200 net (meaning eating back those exercise calories).

In the short term, you will certainly lose weight, but in the long term you might end up with some nutritional deficiencies that can do more harm than good to your body.

I ate below 1200 for a little while and got a macro nutritional analysis done at a doctor's appointment and found out I was severely deficient in zinc, calcium, B12 and a few others. I now try to eat back my exercise calories and I haven't put on any weight and I've actually had an easier time building muscle, and I feel better.

Generally I'm also a big believer in slow and steady wins the race. You want to try to make life-style changes that you'll stick with so that the weight loss is permanent. It's so much easier when you stop thinking of this as a diet and just saying this is how it is and how it's gonna stay. I think it's also not a bad idea to consult with your doctor. Everybody's body and circumstances are different and your doctor might have some insight on what the best plan is for you.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
  • AnnDenny
    AnnDenny Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The general belief is that 1200 is the minimum amount of calories your body needs to function properly. When you say that you eat 1200 cal, do you mean that you eat 1200 total for the day or 1200 net (meaning eating back those exercise calories).

In the short term, you will certainly lose weight, but in the long term you might end up with some nutritional deficiencies that can do more harm than good to your body.

I ate below 1200 for a little while and got a macro nutritional analysis done at a doctor's appointment and found out I was severely deficient in zinc, calcium, B12 and a few others. I now try to eat back my exercise calories and I haven't put on any weight and I've actually had an easier time building muscle, and I feel better.

Generally I'm also a big believer in slow and steady wins the race. You want to try to make life-style changes that you'll stick with so that the weight loss is permanent. It's so much easier when you stop thinking of this as a diet and just saying this is how it is and how it's gonna stay. I think it's also not a bad idea to consult with your doctor. Everybody's body and circumstances are different and your doctor might have some insight on what the best plan is for you.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

This is very good advice ^^^ :happy: Good luck to you!
  • Lanie2012
    Options

Great point! Have you been supplementing your diet with vitamins? I take a multivitamin, B6 & 12 complex, calcium/potassium complex and an Omegs 3/6 complex. It is excessive, I admit. And as Sheldon said in the Big Bang Theory, it is probably just making expensive urine, lol
  • shaglund01
    Options
    1200 is definitely too few calories. Regardless of shape , size, its not recommended to eat less than a net calorie of 1500 and especially if you are working out as much as you are. You will start to burn your muscle instead of fat. Lower resistance workouts/lower heart rate will burn more fat. You should get your resting metabolic rate and active metabolic rate tested to know specifically what your calorie content should be. The YMCA does this as do many gyms but its kind of spendy to do.
  • bbingham526
    bbingham526 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First off thank you all for your help. I don't look at this as a diet. My wife and I have definitely changed the way we our going about our lives.

Everyday last week my net calories was in the negative.

So for example last Friday I ate 1448 calories, but I walk/ran on the treadmill and burned 1676 for a -228 calorie intake for the day.

I am going to try and get to 1400-1500 calories a day but it has been hard. Which is crazy because I used to eat 3000-4000 calories a day. But it was junk!

Its just hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I need to eat more to lose more!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP the way it was designed and are honest with your logging (with realistic goals, ie 1lb/week, etc), you will lose fat.

The number that the app/site provides you is a goal, not a limit. If you earn calories via working out, eat them back.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Great point! Have you been supplementing your diet with vitamins? I take a multivitamin, B6 & 12 complex, calcium/potassium complex and an Omegs 3/6 complex. It is excessive, I admit. And as Sheldon said in the Big Bang Theory, it is probably just making expensive urine, lol

Yes, and I was actually taking a multi vitamin daily when I became deficient -- it's easier for your body to get those nutrients from food versus pills. That said, on my doctor's advice, I am now taking zinc & calcium supplements daily and b12 shots weekly and all the other deficiencies I'm trying to tackle with food choices.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    So for example last Friday I ate 1448 calories, but I walk/ran on the treadmill and burned 1676 for a -228 calorie intake for the day.

Ouch. Body needs fuel. Would your car run if you didn't put gas in it?
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You are not even using MFP properly. When they set you at 1200 a day, they expect you to eat back all of your exercise calories. By netting negative calories, you are not even consuming enough to fuel your basic body needs, like keeping your internal organs functioning. If you were in a coma, they would feed you more than that.

Read this. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First off thank you all for your help. I don't look at this as a diet. My wife and I have definitely changed the way we our going about our lives.

Everyday last week my net calories was in the negative.

I am going to try and get to 1400-1500 calories a day but it has been hard. Which is crazy because I used to eat 3000-4000 calories a day. But it was junk!

Its just hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I need to eat more to lose more!

OK - 1500 calories (NET) is a minimum for men because those are required for everyday bodily function .... heart, lungs, kidneys. People who are in a coma get a feeding tube AND don't gain weight as a general rule.

If your exercise calorie burns are accurate ... you should be eating 1500 calories PLUS exercise calories. If your exercise calories are based upon machines or MFP estimates (over estimated often) .... then try to eat back at least 1/2 of your exercise calories.

Losing weight too fast results in muscle loss .... eat to keep the muscle and lose the fat.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So, I am a foot shorter than you and eating more?!
  • bbingham526
    bbingham526 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am a similar size (6'6" & 330# when I started). I was gungho with daily trips to the gym before work and was eating about 1800-2000 cals per day and dropping weight pretty well. Then I stalled for several months. I had an injury and a schedule change and could not go to the gym for a few weeks. I slept more and did not work out. Baamm!!! I lost weight. I finally figured out that I had optomized my metabolism to retain as much fat as possible on the fewest calories. I had also stressed out my body with the daily workouts, sleep deprivation and severe calorie restriction. My hormones revolted and went into super conservation mode.

The hormones calmed down after a little rest and the additional sleep and that is how I lost the additional weight. I have since upped my calories.

Eat and do weight training. Leave the aerobics to those clad in Spandex! Enjoy time with your family.
  • Mayrose2
    Mayrose2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good question.
  • Lanie2012
    Options
    I love how you're so motivated with exercise - that's my sticking point :( But I also notice you're not really eating any full meals. Tuna and crackers for lunch? Yogurt alone is your snack? I think it's awesome to see you have such clear motivation and goals, good on ya!

Try putting that tuna on a huge bed of lettuce and spinach, or a pita with melted cheese. Or pair your kiwi with the yogurt and have a nice filling cup of soup in the afternoon. Eating every 3 hours can help you avoid the sugar crash and then you'll reach for whatever is handy - like I did last weekend at Cabella's with a huge piece of fudge... mmm, fudge.... lol

Good luck on your journey! :D
  • BearHugger78
    Options
    Whoa....at 6'5 334, a 32-year-old male has a BMR of around 2900 calories. That means your body burns 2900 calories every day doing absolutely nothing (that number will drop as you lose weight; at a "normal" BMI at 6'5" 210 it would be around 2100).

Over the long term it needs those calories just to function as "intended". Then it needs calories on top of that to fuel daily activity, which is usually where one's calorie deficit should be created. In other words, if you burn, let's say 1500 calories a day doing "stuff" (including exercise), your daily calorie needs to *maintain* your weight at 334 is actually about 4400 calories a day (2900 + 1500). You lose a pound a week on average for every 500 calories per day below that, but most people shouldn't be shooting to lose more than a couple pounds a week on a consistent basis.

As a male of your size, you are not just on a diet ... you are literally starving your body at just 1200 calories a day. Then running a total net deficit on those calories through exercise?

If you're going to proceed at those numbers, I suggest you go see your doctor and discuss your weight loss plans with him. That type of plan falls into the "under medical supervision" category IMO. Not feeling hungry or having any noticeable adverse effects right now doesn't mean you're "doing it right."

I'm a big believer in "whatever works for you" but at some point even that line can be crossed when it comes to one's long-term health.