Need vegetarian meal ideas on a budget!

Options
I have 125 biweekly to work with for 1 adult and 1 toddler plus another toddler part time. (I babysit 3 days per week)
This may sound like a lot but I'm kind of stressing about it. Milk alone (for my daughter) will cost me 14 bucks. It seems like everything is so expensive.
So far on my list is rice, black beans, red lentils, green lentils, eggs, frozen veggies, broth cubes, bananas, apples, oranges, bread, milk. I already have a mostly full bag of oats, a jar of peanut butter, bag of potatoes and a big bag of cereal.
I eat clean so breakfast is usually 1/2 cup oats and some scrambled eggs. Lunch lately has been cereal, milk and a banana. It's easy to take to work. The kids usually have a PB sandwich with fruit for lunch. I was going to make a big batch of fried rice with scrambled eggs and frozen veggies for dinner for a few days. Another idea could be rice, black beans, frozen veggies.
Basically, a lot of my ideas revolve around rice, beans and veggies. I love these dishes, but I am afraid of getting tired of it.
Need ideas please!

Replies

• shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you want to switch up on rice, then try quinoa, couscous, barley, etc. You can buy a bag of it dry for cheap and it lasts for a while.

I like to buy pitas or wraps and fill them with beans and veggies (peppers, corn, avocado, tomatoes.)

Lentils in a tomato sauce with some veggies (I use peppers) make for a great sauce for spaghetti.

I usually make a pot of Jamaican rice and peas - rice, kidney beans, coconut milk - and that lasts for a few days.

Black beans, frozen corn, tomatoes, peppers can be used in a variety of ways with just a few extras - quesadillas, chili, over rice,

Tofu and meat substitutes aren't that expensive to eat once a week (and would stretch to two meals for you.)

Veggie lasagna. Noodles, sauce, and whatever veggies you have on hand.

With peanut butter, you can google African recipes, there are quite a few with peanut butter. I make an Ital dish with peanut butter, tomato paste, sweet peppers. It sounds and seems strange at first but tastes good with rice.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a black bean sweet potato enchilada. It's freaking brilliant tasting, is cheap to make and makes a TON!

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-recipe-black-bean-and-sweet-potato-enchiladas/

ps that website has tons of tasty recipes, too
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    I love this spinach and courgette lasagne, I cut it into 8 portions so it lasts me ages. Good value for money too!

http://forums.ivillage.co.uk/t5/Green-Days-Recipes-Tips/Spinach-and-courgette-Lasagne/td-p/492211
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You might be interested in 'Vegan on the Cheap'.. it's seriously the best book ever. I'm vegetarian and cook out of it all the time. [Haven't had a single recipe I didn't like from it!] All of the meals are calculated by costs and the portions are often enough for leftovers. :-)
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You can also find vegetarian cookbooks aimed at students. Those always have good, affordable meals. A lot of basics too.
  • Spadowski
    Options
    Here's my new fav recipe, although I leave the cheese off. Just made it last night and went back for thirds! (I shoveled snow all afternoon and apparently worked up an appetite!) I make this with whole wheat pasta or couscous, and it's quick, cheap, and healthy.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tofu-parmigiana/

See if you have a pal with a Costco membership who will take you shopping. I'm selective about what I eat for nutritional reasons, and they have a really great selection (including milk).
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want to switch up on rice, then try quinoa, couscous, barley, etc. You can buy a bag of it dry for cheap and it lasts for a while.

I like to buy pitas or wraps and fill them with beans and veggies (peppers, corn, avocado, tomatoes.)

Lentils in a tomato sauce with some veggies (I use peppers) make for a great sauce for spaghetti.

I usually make a pot of Jamaican rice and peas - rice, kidney beans, coconut milk - and that lasts for a few days.

Black beans, frozen corn, tomatoes, peppers can be used in a variety of ways with just a few extras - quesadillas, chili, over rice,

Tofu and meat substitutes aren't that expensive to eat once a week (and would stretch to two meals for you.)

Veggie lasagna. Noodles, sauce, and whatever veggies you have on hand.

With peanut butter, you can google African recipes, there are quite a few with peanut butter. I make an Ital dish with peanut butter, tomato paste, sweet peppers. It sounds and seems strange at first but tastes good with rice.

I have been thinking about buying some quinoa...I love the stuff, but it's 13 dollars a bag at my grocery store. I don't know how long it'll last although I'm guessing at least 2 weeks but possibly 3-4. I can't eat gluten so those other ones are out.
    I also found some small corn tortillas recently for 2.50 for a bag of 12 which isn't bad at all, so doing those wraps/burritos would work.I
    I have actually made spaghetti sauce with lentils, I made a huge batch 2 days ago and am still eating it over rice. I find it cheaper to eat it over rice because gf noodles are a bit expensive. I just used a can of tomato sauce, 2 diced bell peppers, and 2 cups red lentils. It should last me another 3-4 days.
    I actually have been seeing tofu recipes lately and I want to try it but I think what's holding me back the most is I keep hearing about how soy is bad for your health, especially women. I may try it this week though, and see how it goes.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm gonna check out the recipes you all posted! And will definitely check out that vegan cookbook!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If you ware babysitting 3 days per week, the child's parent should be packing at least their snacks or not meals -- or providing you with 10-20 dollars for extra food.

That said --- dried beans, chick peas, peanut butter, eggs, rice, last chance produce
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    veggie is easy but for protein. every meal can consist of the following (and, monotony breeds success imho, cuz thinking doesn't screw you up):

Combine the following in each meal:

(1) non-starchy vegetable (like broccoli, cauliflower, squash, spinach, mexed veg salad, whatever, cold or hot)....
    fill 1/2 the plate w/ this.
    (2) add starch (either whole grain or legume, the latter has more protein, or a mix...like brown rice and/or black beans).
    fill 1/4 of the plate w/ this.
    (3) lastly, add protein for the remaining "1/4 of the plate". like tofu, eggs if you eat them, milk, whey protein shakes, cottage cheese, soybeans.

you can mix and match sauces or condiemtns....sprinkle some healthy fats on top (avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc).

also, sometimes I add liquid (like low sodium vegetable stock or something like that, pre-made soup, whatever) and make it a stew. sometimes I make it a sandwich...but I like the rations above so I think you can't go wrong this way.

sorry if you were looking for recipes but I find it best to keep the ingredients simple (so you know easily what is in them w/o doing much math or stressing out) and better you create your own. if you are in weight loss mode, then definitely keep it simple....once you are in maintenance and can afford more calories, then you can experiment all you want!!!
  • poorgirl1
    poorgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You could also buy cheaper veggies. I found that cabbage is good and lasts longer than other veggies. You can add that to noodles for a stir fry meal.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Check my Pinterest board with recipes from my blog and see if it helps you at all! There are only about a handful of options on there now, but as a grad student, I live on a budget as well!

http://pinterest.com/rachee73190/undercover-diva-a-sitcom-blog-recipes/
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I made hummus melts last night, super easy and delicious... and on the cheap!

You can make however many you want, but what you do is:

Take half an English muffin, spread with 1 T hummus (I used roasted garlic), add a few leaves of baby spinach and top with 1/4 C mozzarella cheese. Hit it with the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is browning and bubly and enjoy!
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    If you ware babysitting 3 days per week, the child's parent should be packing at least their snacks or not meals -- or providing you with 10-20 dollars for extra food.

That said --- dried beans, chick peas, peanut butter, eggs, rice, last chance produce

I am paid 25 a day for watching her. It's a part time job on top of my other part time job so lets say the cost of feeding her is 10, I get paid 15 that day. You don't get rich from babysitting unfortunately lol
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of soups. All the veggie varieties, lentil, split pea, tortilla. Just be careful with carbs. When i first went vegetarian i ate bananas, cereal, rice, breads and tortillias. I ended up gaining weight. Try to keep "clean eating" in mind. I wouldn't waste too much money on "meat replacement products" (like morning star things) I buy them occasionally, but like you said, now you have to worry about gmo soy. Use almond or coconut milk. Limit cheese 's and other dairy. Keep up the eggs. A little tofu if helpful, maybe once a week. Lettuce's, spinach, cabbage are inexpensive and filling. Try to eat one meal a day with that being the main base of the meal. I also eat a lot of plain baked sweet potatos. They are so healthy, inexpensive, and last forever.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

I am paid 25 a day for watching her. It's a part time job on top of my other part time job so lets say the cost of feeding her is 10, I get paid 15 that day. You don't get rich from babysitting unfortunately lol

Um, I think you missed my point... the parents of the child you are watching should be providing her food or you should be including it in your daily rate. My daughter goes to daycare twice a week. I pay 30 per day in addition to packing her lunch. The service provides snacks and drinks. You should no be expected to buy food in addition to only making 25 per day.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options

Um, I think you missed my point... the parents of the child you are watching should be providing her food or you should be including it in your daily rate. My daughter goes to daycare twice a week. I pay 30 per day in addition to packing her lunch. The service provides snacks and drinks. You should no be expected to buy food in addition to only making 25 per day.

No, I figured that's what you meant. I pay 30 for my daughter's daycare and food is included. Her first daycare when she was 1 was 25 a day and I packed her meals and snacks. In my area, that's the average amount people pay. If I put the cost up, they will just bring her somewhere else.
  • babyangelica2010
    Options
    I make a lot of soups. All the veggie varieties, lentil, split pea, tortilla. Just be careful with carbs. When i first went vegetarian i ate bananas, cereal, rice, breads and tortillias. I ended up gaining weight. Try to keep "clean eating" in mind. I wouldn't waste too much money on "meat replacement products" (like morning star things) I buy them occasionally, but like you said, now you have to worry about gmo soy. Use almond or coconut milk. Limit cheese 's and other dairy. Keep up the eggs. A little tofu if helpful, maybe once a week. Lettuce's, spinach, cabbage are inexpensive and filling. Try to eat one meal a day with that being the main base of the meal. I also eat a lot of plain baked sweet potatos. They are so healthy, inexpensive, and last forever.

I do love soup! I am staying within my carbs. I am so far not eating bread, (and limiting to a small tortilla once a day) I also don't eat meat subsititues. I can't anyways because I can't eat gluten. I made my own veggie burgers once though. I buy cheese for the kids but I stopped eating it. I also only drink almond milk. I am trying to limit dairy because I may be a little bit intolerant to it.