Not eating enough calories

Options
I started on my weightless journey 6 weeks ago. I was 215 the day I started and I lost about 5 lbs a week up until this last week. I am ok with not losing any this week but it was what led me to here. I thought I should check to see how I am doing with my eating.
I dropped all the garbage out of my diet ( I work at a&w so it's hard) and all the pop. I started eating healthy things I knew I liked ( smoothies fruit ect) and moved into things I've always had issues with (eggs). But after recording everything I eat and my exercise the best I can (I'm constantly moving at work and I have a 5 year old) I'm noticing that I am not eating nearly enough calories for what it suggests.
How should I up my calories when I am not hungry and I don't have the option for constant snacking during the day ( or the want to. I am happy and feel full based on what I eat)

Replies

• pckldpklz
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to just eat empty calories
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are a quick and easy way to increase calories.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You should really search the forums before posting this topic. People ask this question all the time and members get frustrated because it's been said somewhere before. Do a quick search and you'll find tons of healthy options to up your calorie intake.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here is a forum post that I liked..it's 88 unexpected snacks that are pretty low in calories. Maybe you can find something that is easy to grab and then add that into your day somehow :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/838001-88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • Spadowski
    Options
    My new fav food is Greek yogurt. It's full of protein and super filling, especially if you get the 2% instead of fat free. Fat helps tell your brain that it's full, and I've noticed a huge difference between the two. I eat 1/2 cup with a tablespoon of jam that's sweetened with fruit vs white sugar, and it keeps me full for hours.

You could also try dried fruit if you're full but just need some calories. And dark chocolate. The higher the cocoa content, the better.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How do you eat more when you're not hungry? You eat more calorie-dense foods like cheese, avocados, seeds, nuts, nut butters and full fat dairy (I'm assuming you're going for a kind of "clean" approach here, otherwise there are endless options!) Add a little olive oil to salads, or add oil to cooking. Wherever you are currently eating "low fat" or "lite", switch to the full-fat version. Drink your calories in milk, nut milk, smoothies or protein shakes. Fat is more calorie-dense than protein or carbs, so anything with fat in will help you to up your calories.

The thing about hunger is, it's not unusual for your appetite to drop as your intake drops. If you eat more calories, you'll probably find that your appetite returns and it's not so hard.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary for us to check out? How did you calculate how many calories/day to eat?

This is a really good place to start: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are a quick and easy way to increase calories.

Definitely this.

Greek yogurt, string cheese, hardboiled eggs, Larabars, fruit, oatmeal, hummus are some of the easy things I eat.

Sometimes poking around peoples diary's are a good way to get ides or in the recipe section.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I agree with andante92 - read up and figure out your BMR and TDEE.

For reaching your goal - plan your meals ahead for the day - and adjust accordingly.

Also - don't think that 5 pounds a week is going to sustain over the long term. Healthy weight loss, especially the longer you work at it, will be more in the 1/2 - 2 pound a week range. Don't get disappointed if it slows down, because often in the beginning we lose a lot of water weight, when what we need to lose is body fat, while maintaining our lean body mass.

Good luck on your journey!
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    Gotta love the people recommending the "really filling, low-calorie snack" options to do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE OP WANTS.

Oils, butter, avocado, nuts are all great nutrient-dense foods. If you are using MFP default macros you are probably being desperately misled as to what a good ratio would be.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Gotta love the people recommending the "really filling, low-calorie snack" options to do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE OP WANTS.

Oils, butter, avocado, nuts are all great nutrient-dense foods. If you are using MFP default macros you are probably being desperately misled as to what a good ratio would be.

What PEOPLE? I see 1 person's post that mentions pretty low calorie snacks. Maybe several of those low calorie snacks will add up to MORE.
  • LiftHuff
    LiftHuff Posts: 131
    Options
    It appears that some comments were deleted lul.
  • pckldpklz
    Options
    Thank you all. I know the 5 lbs per week won't sustain and I am totally ok with that! I never expected to lose as much as I did right off the top!
    It's amazing how words can come across as rude. I posted this topic without searching because the forums seemed extremely daunting. I apologies if it bothered people, but really why post then?
    I do enjoy eating nuts thanks for the suggestion! I should pack more with me during the day! I will try that.
    As for my calories in I let the site help me with it (using their formula) I just entered the information requested.
    I also never go for the light or at free version I have always noticed that full fat tastes waaaaaaaaaaay better, definitely no problems there!
    I'm not looking for a clean eating approach, just cleaner than fast food twice a day like I was.
    The main thing is I never thought I was starving myself until this program told me so. I eat until I am full no more. No less. If I am hungry I don't deprive myself but i pace myself and make healthier options that is all
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and banana. That's a good 270 calories right there with alot of protein and nutrients packed in. One of my personal faves xD

Also, have a glass of milk instead of a glass of water to sneak some more calories in if you like milk.

Other than that, I wouldn't force yourself to eat if your not hungry. I never *make* myself eat just to get up to what people consider a magic number. If I'm hungry, I eat, if I'm not , I don't. Maybe just add more calories to the meals you do eat. Add cheese, sour cream, or things like that. Just to buffer your calorie intake that way. Might be easier than trying to add more eating when you are truly not hungry.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    It's amazing how words can come across as rude. I posted this topic without searching because the forums seemed extremely daunting. I apologies if it bothered people, but really why post then?

Don't worry about it, there are a lot of rude people on these message boards unfortunatley so just get used it and don't let those ones bother you, there are still plenty of others who are nice & willing to help. I think the people that get upset about seeing the same posts/questions should just NOT open the post at all just to make comments like that, but it's going to happen. The search function could help you out though so just keep it in mind.