What About WINE?????

Options
So I have been Doing 30 day shred for a week now and have been watching my calories well.....except for last night when I had a cheat day! (mother in laws meatballs Mmmm...) But I have also been enjoying a glass of red wine or 2 almost every night, and was curious if that was ok to do. I know a lot of people suggest cutting out drinking all together but besides wine i don't usually drink. I tried to count the calories of the wine but I also put a handful of ice in my glass that waters it down because i like it cold and have NO IDEA how many calories i actually drink. Someone please help. I enjoy my glass of wine and that is my kinda Guilty pleasure? Any suggestions

Replies

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    First of all, measure it out. 5 oz of red wine is about 120 calories. This varies a little from type to type, but it's all in the MFP database.

I drink wine. And beer. And liquor. I still lost weight. I just make sure it fits in my calories and that I'm not excluding important nutrition to make it fit... Don't sacrifice 4oz of chicken for wine if you still need 20 grams of protein on your day.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    First of all, measure it out. 5 oz of red wine is about 120 calories. This varies a little from type to type, but it's all in the MFP database.

I drink wine. And beer. And liquor. I still lost weight. I just make sure it fits in my calories and that I'm not excluding important nutrition to make it fit... Don't sacrifice 4oz of chicken for wine if you still need 20 grams of protein on your day.

I agree!! I drink occasionally but I make sure it fits in my calories.
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just log the calories and keep your total under your target as with any food. There are loads of different wines in the database and if you need to be exact, use the bar code feature with the app on your phone (although I have had as many scans be wrong as correct). I also suggest that you use a measuring cup to determine just how big your glass of wine is. I know that I was seriously under estimating amounts when I started. I try to limit myself to wine calories only on days that I work out, but definitely work wine into as many days as I can!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It's easy to measure, I often just use a food scale.

That said, I've personally quit drinking during to week because I wasn't losing and now only let myself have wine on Friday and Saturday. I guess for me it's a glass that turns into 2 or 3 and I've decided that limiting my drinking is in my best interest. My husband is still in shock and it's been a month now. :wink:
  • hsmart603
    hsmart603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the advice. I will definatly use a measuring cup and only when I can fit it into my calories when I can. :)
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As an avid beer drinker, I have cut out beer except for social occasions. In the past 2 weeks I had 1 beer and some home made wine on Saturday. Not a lot in comparison to how I normally drink (2-4 times a week)

More than a "glass" impacts your progress towards your goals.

My opinion is to do what Querian does. Stop drinking during the week. Try to limit it to once a week if you **have** to do it.

Cutting weight to your ideal size requires sacrifice. Those sacrifices include sweets, time, starches, fatty meats, and everything in excess. Unfortunately, booze should be sacrificed too.

When you get to your ideal weight, it will be much easier to maintain given you are careful about it. The easy thing about drinking when you are maintaining, is that you aren't running a deficit and can incorporate it easier.
  • Spadowski
    Options
    I do mad jumping jacks while DH uncorks the wine and decanters it. Seriously. :drinker: Don't mess with my wine!
  • KoGettinFit
    KoGettinFit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do mad jumping jacks while DH uncorks the wine and decanters it. Seriously. :drinker: Don't mess with my wine!

^^^^^^
    LUV THIS!!! I too TRY to limit my wine or alcohol intake to the weekends. I weigh in once a month & typically do not drink several days before. I admit going overboard during December when I gained .8lbs. I kicked things into high gear in Jan. & lost 5lbs w/out completely sacrificing my wine needs.:drinker:
  • Spadowski
    Spadowski Posts: 38
    Options

^^^^^^
    LUV THIS!!! I too TRY to limit my wine or alcohol intake to the weekends. I weigh in once a month & typically do not drink several days before. I admit going overboard during December when I gained .8lbs. I kicked things into high gear in Jan. & lost 5lbs w/out completely sacrificing my wine needs.:drinker:

Haha, thanks! The neighbors across the street probably think I'm nuts when I do this, and I'm ok with that.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under a bottle of red a day.

On schoolnights ;)
  • carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    I've lost my almost 40lbs. drinking wine every week, while doing 30DS among other exercises, sometimes I'll even split a whole bottle with my husband on a weekend night :) I make room for calories, log it and enjoy!
  • keepingm0tivated
    Options
    Would you like some cheese with that WINE?