Boxing as a workout

Options
So I started a boxing fitness workout class in January. The class is taught by Raul Marquez who is a former championship boxer. We are not in the ring actually boxing, we are just training like a boxer to get fit. I absolutely love this class. I think I have finally found an exercise I am going to stick to. It's been two months now and I haven't missed one class and look forward to going. It is a kickbut workout too. I am drenched in sweat by the time it is over and for the first month I stayed sore. I am getting more used to it now. Has anyone else tried a boxing fitness class? What is or what was your experience with it?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Never tried boxing in a class environment. I do shadowboxing often as cardio and getting your lower body into it by staying light on your toes and keeping the shuffle going is integral if you want to make it a calorie burning workout. When you're just standing there throwing punches and your upper body is really the only thing doing any work you're not doing jack squat.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Well the first 30 minutes of class are burpees, push-ups, squats, and so on. The last 30 minutes is heavy bag work (my favorite). He is really good about making sure we use proper form and incorporate our legs as well. Last night he made us shuffle for 30 seconds and then punch for 30 seconds for a five minute round. So every round has some type of leg work. I really love it when he makes us get in the ring and punch him. He protects himself and he shuffles around the ring and we have to chase him and punch all at the same time for a two minute round. You would be amazed at how that gets your heart rate up, that is one of the most exhausting things I have ever done. I see why boxers are in superb shape.
  • ktndj82104
    Options
    I have never used boxing but I did use kickboxing as a workout and lost 40lbs after my second son. It was hard but I loved it!!
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Taebo, Baby... Billy Blanks ~ I love him... Just getting back into it, s l o w l y, cause I'm so out of shape but it's a great workout and fun!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Hell Yeah! Love the boxing training! I used to do that in addition to heavy lifting and BAM!!!!! FASTER results. Eventually you're going to want to get in the ring... I mean, at least, I did! My man didn't want me to, but I was all pumped like YEAHHHH!!! haha.

If you stick with it, you will be having amazing results.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Taebo, Baby... Billy Blanks ~ I love him... Just getting back into it, s l o w l y, cause I'm so out of shape but it's a great workout and fun!
  • karinapeterson
    karinapeterson Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Used to have a class like that a few years, super awesome and makes you feel strong just puching. Loved it. I wish I had a class like that near me now. Go you, enjoy it :)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've boxed for about a year. I think it's a good workout.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!

My fiance and I used to have a heavy bag up in our basement so we would go through a good warm up and then take turns using the bag too. It is a great workout for cardio and strength! If you get to the point that you are actually sparing or using a speed or heavy bag, make sure you have proper form down before you start and make sure you learn how to properly wrap your hands to prevent injury. Great workout and a great stress reliever!
  • mili5726
    Options
    Yes I love kickboxing as well. I have done tae-bo, and actually took a muy thai kickboxing class. All of that is what sparked my interest in boxing. Sometimes I wish he would incorporate some heavy bag kicking in class but he sticks strictly to boxing. I also weight train a few times a week. I have already started seeing good results, I am excited about what's to come.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I just joined a boxing club that does that type of workout, where you train like a boxer or kickboxer with mitts, heavy bags, jump ropes and abs galore, everthing, but without the sparring in the ring. I had trained for 6 years and got my black belt in kenpo karate, but quit after that for 2.5 years because I grew really weary of the pressure to test and memorize forms and combinations, not to mention the contact. I was really excited when the opportunity to train in boxing/kickboxing w/o sparring came along. I love, love, love it! :love:

I am still working through the pain and MAJOR water retention though. I can tell you this class kicks my butt like no other. Especially, upper body. I try to get there 3-4 days a week. I went 2 days in a row, and I could hardly roll over in bed. I am sooo sore! I can already feel a difference in my shoulders and back punching into a 60-70lb bag. I think they say you burn upwards of 600 calories per class. Truly one of the best workouts ever, in my little ol' opinion.
  • mili5726
    Options
    I am going to buy hand wraps this weekend. I hurt my hand a little last night doing hooks on the heavy bag. I hit it just a little too hard.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    So I started a boxing fitness workout class in January. The class is taught by Raul Marquez who is a former championship boxer. We are not in the ring actually boxing, we are just training like a boxer to get fit. I absolutely love this class. I think I have finally found an exercise I am going to stick to. It's been two months now and I haven't missed one class and look forward to going. It is a kickbut workout too. I am drenched in sweat by the time it is over and for the first month I stayed sore. I am getting more used to it now. Has anyone else tried a boxing fitness class? What is or what was your experience with it?

Would love to but there are none around here that I know of!!
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Les Mills Combat dvd's put out by beach body. I love love love the workouts. It's really good workout for the Abs too!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I worked out for awhile at a women's boxing gym in Toronto and absolutely LOVED it. It was hard as hell but I never felt weak when I was doing it. And something about taping up my hands made me feel instantly powerful. I hurt myself badly (not because of the boxing) and can't go back to it, which makes me unhappy.

The gym was started by the first woman to box professionally in Canada (this was illegal until the 1990s), and they have some great programs. Women who have been victims of domestic or sexual violence are eligible for a 2 month free program that includes 2 nights a week, childcare, transportation paid for, and a meal. It's a great place to work out for a lot of reasons.
  • mili5726
    Options
    Yes I love how powerful it makes me feel as well. Especially when you get the proper form down and you hit the bag so hard by using your whole body. I love it. It is such a high. I can't wait to see what my arms and upper body are going to look like.
  • chubalina
    chubalina Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been to various boxing/kickboxing gyms. Now I am going to one similar to you where they are actually training you as if you were a boxer. I find it to be so exciting and the BEST workout for me. Whenever I was in the best shape of my life I was going to boxing or kickboxing classes.I believe it is because you burn a lot of calories doing it and also if you enjoy the workout you will stick to it. So happy you enjoy it as well and am adding you!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I am going to buy hand wraps this weekend. I hurt my hand a little last night doing hooks on the heavy bag. I hit it just a little too hard.

Yep, you're hitting hard because you're excited, lol. It's all about speed and just "tapping" the bag. Don't worry, a good tap can knock the **** out of someone. Speed, form and keep those hands up! Gosh I miss it sooooo much :cry:

I used to train at Gold's. The trainer was father to a Golden Gloves Champ and he was good. I'd just go in there and do my thing. I tried sparring once, but we were too girly and kept apologizing every time we hit each other. LOL! Gotta get in there and just let loose!
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My husband is a boxing coach and I am a personal trainer. We run a 75 - 90 minute class twice a week that is a combination of plyometriics, core, padwork, tap sparring and bag work. The participants are always soaked in sweat and buggered by the end of it. I can usually burn about 750 - 850 cals in the session. It's great!