Please help! New and overwhelmed

Options
Hey guys,

I am new here and have read a lot of stuff on here as well as other forums and I keep getting confused. I was hoping to maybe get some answers to a few questions I have.

1. Do you recommend using the formula provided by MFP to lose weight or calculate your caloric needs using a few of the calculations provided online?

2. Do you HAVE to eat healthy to lose weight using MFP? (I know eating healthy is good for you and better for losing weight but theoretically, can you eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as you stay within your limits using MFP?)

3. If I eat a breakfast of 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg with peppers and onions and turkey on whole wheat toast, how am I supposed to calculate this? Do I add all these items individually to my diary if I can't find it as one entry?

I know some of these questions might seem obvious but I just need some guidance and I need to start this journey to weight loss and healthy living.
I really appreciate the help and hope to be around for a long time. Thanks again

Replies

• june21112
    Options
    Do not use what MFP tells you to use. You have to eat to lose. I was like you when I started and I was confused and went by MFP. Yeah I lost weight quick at first then I plateaued and got stuck. I upped my calories and now I'm losing on average a pound a week.

My diary is open and you can see I do not eat that healthy. I do not go to Mcdonalds or eat fried food anymore. I still junk but in moderation. Watch your sugar intake and fat intake. Choose baked over fried.

Add everything in separate or use the recipe tool and add it in there and you can then quickly add it if it is something that you eat on a regular basis.

Feel free to add me or message me and I will help in any way I can. Best of luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Go to this group and read all the threads marked with red pins. It's a good place to start and the people who run the group are very good about answering questions without judgement.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    June is right! I used to barely eat and push to workout. I was in starvation mode and plateaued for almost a year! I joined myfitnesspal and in almost 50 days, I've lost ten pounds and I'm eat more!! Eat well and it will be easier to lose. You can eat junk. I love my crackers, sweets and chips. Moderation is key!!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is YOUR journey. You will probably mess it up several times before getting it right. Eventually you will find the right combination of foods and exercise that will work for you. Some people lose fast. I lose about 3 lbs every 2 weeks but I have a lot to lose. Don't try to do it too fast by starving yourself. If what you are doing can't be maintained the rest of your life than change it so it can. This is not a diet. It is a lifestyle change. Program your favorite meals into the meals section of your diary. If you have a lot to lose make sure you make a goal to lose it slowly and the right way through cardio, strength and eating, for the most part, clean foods. If you screw up, no biggie, just get back on the horse and start riding again. Go to fitnessfrog or scobbysworkshop to find out how much you really should be eating. Start exercise slow so as to not injure yourself or burn yourself out too quickly. Find friends and read, read, read.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 lbs using MFP's formula. I tweaked the protein up a bit and allow myself more sugar than MFP says that I should take in but I'm happy with my results. I intentionally gained 10 lbs from August to November to try and build up my muscle mass and I'm currently trying to cut back down again using MFP's recommendations. Working perfect again.

The issue that I've seen with MFP is that for smaller women, it will often have them cut back too much on calories to the point where they plateau after a few weeks. Personally, I do better when I cheat about once a month. I gain a couple pounds over a weekend, but I lose those two pounds plus another couple when I'm good for the next two weeks. Any kind of monotonous routine is a bad thing.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I am new here and have read a lot of stuff on here as well as other forums and I keep getting confused. I was hoping to maybe get some answers to a few questions I have.

1. Do you recommend using the formula provided by MFP to lose weight or calculate your caloric needs using a few of the calculations provided online?

2. Do you HAVE to eat healthy to lose weight using MFP? (I know eating healthy is good for you and better for losing weight but theoretically, can you eat whatever you want and still lose weight as long as you stay within your limits using MFP?)

3. If I eat a breakfast of 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg with peppers and onions and turkey on whole wheat toast, how am I supposed to calculate this? Do I add all these items individually to my diary if I can't find it as one entry?

I know some of these questions might seem obvious but I just need some guidance and I need to start this journey to weight loss and healthy living.
    I really appreciate the help and hope to be around for a long time. Thanks again

1) In general, MFP's calculations are fine.

2) No. Hit your calorie and macro goals, make sure to eat some veggies, and forget about whether a particular food is sufficiently "healthy" or not. Nutrients are what matter.

3) Yes, you should generally be adding any homemade food in as ingredients and not as assembled. Don't forget to log any cooking oils, butter, condiments, etc.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Use what MFP tells you. Eat back your exercise calories, like MFP tells you.

While doing that, take time to learn about BMR, TDEE, etc, do some math. For many of us, there isn't much difference between the different methods.

For me: MFP + exercise = ~1600
    TDEE - 20% = ~ 1700

A hundred calories here or there is not going to cause me to starve. It won't have much of an effect on my weight loss, either. I consider it to be well within the margin of error and I find it easier to use MFP as designed.
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Do not use what MFP tells you to use. You have to eat to lose. I was like you when I started and I was confused and went by MFP. Yeah I lost weight quick at first then I plateaued and got stuck. I upped my calories and now I'm losing on average a pound a week.

My diary is open and you can see I do not eat that healthy. I do not go to Mcdonalds or eat fried food anymore. I still junk but in moderation. Watch your sugar intake and fat intake. Choose baked over fried.

Add everything in separate or use the recipe tool and add it in there and you can then quickly add it if it is something that you eat on a regular basis.

Feel free to add me or message me and I will help in any way I can. Best of luck on your journey :flowerforyou:

hey Hi
    as u said u upped ur calories and now u r losing weight so i wana ask how many calories did u up???
    as i am also eating in limits assigned by MFP and lost just 2lbs in a month:(
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1)If you do use the MFP method, you need to follow it correctly. This means you need to set a realistic weight loss goal and eat your exercise calories back and set a correct activity level

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

There are tons of other methods around here though (eat more to weigh less, in place of a road map, eat train progress, etc). Personally, I go with the BMR + exercise calories method.

2) Most will tell you that as long as it fits into your calories, you will lose the weight. I'm pretty much in that group too but I also believe that if you're working on your weight you should also be working on your health since they're pretty much the same pathway. You don't need to eat 100% clean but I'd at least think about trying for 80/20...eat more fruits and veggies, make sure you get all your water in, maybe swap the white bread for whole wheat, etc.

3) For your breakfast, there are a couple options. Either way, you have to start with logging those things separately. Say you do that today. Tomorrow, the foods will be on your recent foods list under breakfast or you can use the quick tools to add foods from yesterday. Another option is to use the quick tools to save those foods as a meal, then they'll be saved under "my meals".
  • tewanna13
    tewanna13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating Clean is important to lose weight. You have to think of it as your body needs fuel to work, food is that fuel you don't want cheap fast food going in. You can eat what you want, but as you lose weight you will see a 200 calorie donut isn't as filling as a heatlhy choice dinner that is 250 calories that fills you up. It's a journey and if you want a good one, you will start to make the right choices. I am just now starting mine, I have lost 15 pounds so far and I am earing clean and I've been working out. It is a life change not diet change.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Eating Clean is important to lose weight. You have to think of it as your body needs fuel to work, food is that fuel you don't want cheap fast food going in. You can eat what you want, but as you lose weight you will see a 200 calorie donut isn't as filling as a heatlhy choice dinner that is 250 calories that fills you up. It's a journey and if you want a good one, you will start to make the right choices. I am just now starting mine, I have lost 15 pounds so far and I am earing clean and I've been working out. It is a life change not diet change.

People say this all the time, but it's complete nonsense. Your body has no idea if a burger or chicken sandwich or taco is "clean" or "unclean" or whatever.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Go to this group and read all the threads marked with red pins. It's a good place to start and the people who run the group are very good about answering questions without judgement.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

^^^^ GREAT group and some really good info coming from these folks!!!
  • dalewbailey
    Options
    I've lost 38 pounds so far, and here is what I do.

1. I make healthier choices, but I still eat my favorite "unhealthy" foods. We still have frozen pizza night, canned chili with crackers and cheese night, and the occasional restaurant fare. But I do focus on eating healthier more than not.

2. If you feel MFP calories are too restrictive, try adding more veggies and fruits to your day to fill you up. If that doesn't work, by all means, up your calories and see what happens. Weight loss is YOUR personal journey. Do what works for you. Experiment, and don't get upset if an experience backfires and you have a slight gain. Keep looking for ways to make this work.

3. Once you get used to counting your calories, try to make as many healthful choices as you can, and don't be hard on yourself when you can't or won't. Use the macronutrient breakdown help you see how healthful your total intake is, not just focusing on a single item.

4. Find a pedometer or use a smart phone pedometer app that syncs with MFP (I use a fitbit zip I purchased for $59.00) and see if you can achieve the daily target of 10,000 steps a day. This adds to the amount of calories you can consume and may help you feel satisfied longer.

These are the things I do.

Lastly, I have found that when I eat around 200 calories more than I'm allowed, it sometimes leads:happy: to my biggest single day weight losses. Go figure! Sometimes eating more IS better.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    your body needs fuel to work, food is that fuel you don't want cheap fast food going in. You can eat what you want, but as you lose weight you will see a 200 calorie donut isn't as filling as a heatlhy choice dinner that is 250 calories that fills you up

This ^^^ is true!

Imagine your calorie allowance is just like a money budget for the week. You need to be judicious on what you spend those calories on. Make every one count towards your nourishment.

Moreover, IF you spend your calorie allowance on junk -- YOU WILL BE HUNGRY and you will either hate dieting and give up, OR you will keep going over your calorie allowance as your body demands more nutrition.

For example, you could have a jam doughnut for breakfast, 300 calories. Pastries and chocolate for lunch and dinner, 700 calories each. Coffee with sugar and cookies for snacks. Total calories 2000, but you will be starving hungry!
  • txs78746
    Options
    To some extent a calorie is a calorie. But if one's body does not get the nutrition it needs there can be other issues. Weight loss tends to happen better when the body is not in panic mode. As long as you are getting enough "good" food the body won't care if you consume 500 calories of bacon or broccoli. As an example, I've known some alcoholics that consumed a lot of calories every day. While they developed guts and lost lots of muscle mass. A drastic example, of course.
  • june21112
    Options

hey Hi
    as u said u upped ur calories and now u r losing weight so i wana ask how many calories did u up???
    as i am also eating in limits assigned by MFP and lost just 2lbs in a month:(

I am now set at 1839. I should be at 2044 but I have a hard time eating 1839 some days so I keep it at that. I work out 5 days a week. I do NOT eat back any of my exercise calories having it set this high. When I started MFP it had me at 1250 calories. I get the whole eating back your workout calories but on the days I did not work out 1250 calories was NOT enough. I was starving and the next day I would binge eat because of the low calories the day before. So at 1839 a day regardless of working out or not it is a perfect number for me. You really need to play around with it. EVERYONE is different and the trick is to find what works for you.
  • Colleenb_2012
    Options
    It took my awhile to figure out what work for me, so the calorie count for me was too low so my body wasn't getting what it needed.. so now I have the right calorie count 1550 per day and I also have a cheat day once a week so my body does not get used to the same amount of calories every day as it will become inefficient, now when I say cheat day it may only be 300 cals over or less. MFP works, but you have to figure out what works for you :D Good Luck!!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It is going to be hard to get your allotted macronutrients eating twinkies but it is not going to kill you to eat a twinkie. My weakness, Dark Chocolate.
  • Ronnie715
    Options
    Guys, I can't stress enough how much clearer you made this for me. Each and every one of you that gave your input helped me in the greatest way and it all makes so much more sense. I thank you for that!.

I am going to start making the transition to eating healthier and using MFP regularly tomorrow morning. Another question on logging food. How are you supposed to log a dinner that you ate at someones house accurately? (ie; Homemade chicken parm or sausage and peppers?)
    What about if your cooking with say 2TBS of oil to saute spinach with garlic and oil? How are you supposed to calculate this because you aren't going to be consuming all that oil, it will be all mixed in?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I am going to start making the transition to eating healthier and using MFP regularly tomorrow morning. Another question on logging food. How are you supposed to log a dinner that you ate at someones house accurately? (ie; Homemade chicken parm or sausage and peppers?)
    What about if your cooking with say 2TBS of oil to saute spinach with garlic and oil? How are you supposed to calculate this because you aren't going to be consuming all that oil, it will be all mixed in?

The answer to your first question is "with great difficulty and large error." Just do the best you can by finding pieces and ingredients that seem about right.

As for the second: add the spinach as raw, then add the oil. Measure the oil you put in the pan then estimate how much made it into the spinach. This will probably be like 1.5 tbsp.