Do you count the calories in fruit and veg?

Options
Just wondering if people do this, seems pretty pointless although I have been doing it.

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    why would it be pointless? a calorie is still a calorie whether it be in veggie or donut form
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    Absolutely, why wouldn't you? Calories are calories. If you don't log them, what's the point in logging anything?
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I put everything in the diary, so yes I count it.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do cause im tracking fiber, vitamins and carbs
  • delaney056
    Options
    Absolutely. While some aren't particularly high in calories, they do add up and contain carbs/sugar/fat/other things that are all important to keep up with.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, why wouldn't you? Calories are calories. If you don't log them, what's the point in logging anything?

I do but I'm asking if others do, reason I ask is because under slimming world they are classed as free foods and you won't pile on the pounds if you eat a lot more of them than you would if you ate more of foods that were less friendly so to speak.

Just wondering if its worth it going forward for me and what are the bad points for not doing it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Do they have calories in 'em? Do you eat 'em?

Loose the whole ideas of "free" foods.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I could easily eat over 3,000 calories a day in fruits and vegetables if I tried
  • Lantzbug
    Options
    Gotcha, didn't realize you were comparing it to something else and not just how mfp suggests to do it.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The only things I don't bother logging are gum and spices. They wouldn't total to more than maybe 20 calories at the most and I'm usually well under my goal so I don't bother.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I love apples and grapes and could easily consume 600 calories of them a day plus my other food. Not counting them would be crazy.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I get why you are asking, WW does the same thing.

However I find that if you already eat healthy that it doesn't work the same, i was on weight watchers and since I already was eating fruit, veg, lean meats and a little bit of dairy I was always "under" my points, but I knew I was eating like 3 pieces of fruit everyday and lots of vegetables and I wasn't losing. I think for people who are making poor decisions (lots of fast food or huge portions) not counting the fruits and veg won't matter because their overall calories per day will probably be much less.
    Does that make sense?

A banana is 100 cals, an apple 70cals, I could easily erase my "0.5"lb deficit with fruits and veg.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Not recording something makes it a whole lot easier to not get around to logging something else; saying to yourself that it doesn't count, it's not enough to make a difference.

Which over time could lead to halting progress.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Ive seen some fad or diet websites that don't count them, but in the grand scheme of your body and caloric intake, yes...they count and I record them.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yes. People would be surprised how many calories some fruits have!
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely! They all add up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I log them here because that's how the site works. In WW, of course, I didn't.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Definitely
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    YESSSSSSSSSS

The whole purpose to count calories is to count everything. how to lose weight is calories in verses calories out...

I don't count the ones in water.. wait there isn't any in water.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yes.