Which ones better.. Losing weight or Inches?

Options
I need serious help! Losing the inches and toning up but still weigh the same. My friends say I look like I'm changing but I feel the same. I'm ex-bulimic and don't want to go back to that! Help me? :/

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm all about the inches/feeling stronger/clothes fitting better

I don't own a scale and haven't for a long time - because it makes me crazy over the number.

Getting stronger and more toned is a way better indicator that you're doing things right than losing pounds or "getting skinny" I know plenty of people who are skinny, yeah. But they're still out of shape, flabby, weak and unhealthy.

Stick with healthy lifestyle changes and the rest will follow.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Weight by itself does not describe your health or fitness level. There are healthy overweight people and unhealthy people at their "goal" weight

No one but you can see the number on the scale

Everyone can see inches lost

Your weight can vary depending on the time of day, the sodium you've taken in, if you've had enough water, etc etc etc

If you've lost inches and are feeling more toned you have physical, real, solid, measurable evidence that your body is changing. Why are you concerned with a number that is only a tiny fraction of what determines your overall health and fitness?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I need serious help! Losing the inches and toning up but still weigh the same. My friends say I look like I'm changing but I feel the same. I'm ex-bulimic and don't want to go back to that! Help me? :/

"better" is subjective, but would you rather be smaller weigh 140 lbs, or be bigger and weigh 110 lbs? IMO inches are more important.

ETA; it's easy enough to lie about the lbs if you are smaller.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    "I simply don't think it's worth worrying about what your weight should be. Rather, worry about what your health, functionality, performance, and physique should be. Weight will settle where it needs to be once those things are optimized."
    - Steve Troutman
  • HealthyNowForever
    HealthyNowForever Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Inches. I would rather by thinner with a higher number on the scale than bigger with a lower number on the scale.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    inches. i hate being a size 6 at 115 lbs and 5'6 1/2
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Weight by itself does not describe your health or fitness level. There are healthy overweight people and unhealthy people at their "goal" weight

Your weight can vary depending on the time of day, the sodium you've taken in, if you've had enough water, etc etc etc

If you've lost inches and are feeling more toned you have physical, real, solid, measurable evidence that your body is changing. Why are you concerned with a number that is only a tiny fraction of what determines your overall health and fitness?

This X's 1,000,000!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Inches and how your clothing fits. What I weigh v. what my girlfriend the same height weighs and how we LOOK is totally unrelated.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Definitely inches!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Inches...definitley. Now don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to weigh less so I can be swooped up off my feet from a man...but at 5'11'' and currently at 174...probably not going to happen. Perhaps at 155...but I'd rather LOOK smaller than weigh less. :bigsmile:
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    INCHES!
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Inches for sure. Think about this, weighing less and having muffin top or weigh more and and no muffin top????
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options

This.
    And if you're trying to lose weight and look slim, people are always so surprised when you tell them you weigh a higher number.
    It's how to do it right :P
  • smcturbo
    Options
    Inches. Weight is just a number. Very meaningless. How fit you are, how strong you feel, how your body works for you .... that's all functional!
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Definitely inches
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Inches. I'd imagine you're losing weight at least partially to look better so as long as that's happening weight isn't a big deal. Eventually that will creep down too.
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    For me personally I'll take the inches. Me at 175 looks better than a coworker at 148 (i only know this because she told me). Granted she is a bit shorter than me but side by side she looks bigger than me. She is losing weight while i am losing inches. She diets. I watch calories and exercise/lift. weight loss will make you look good in your clothes. firming up and losing inches will make you look good naked.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I minimally worry about the scale...every time I worried about it, obsessively, I quit trying.

Maybe try hiding your scale for a few weeks? Have someone take pictures instead, about once a month, and measure your body? This is better to see results, IMO.

Maybe, as you have a disorder, see a psychologist and get help. Fearing the scale can be way too tiring and stressful, and is just an un-needed thing.

ETA: Lifting heavier weight **NOT 5 lbs dumb bells all of the time....actually trying!** helps you look smaller and less heavy as well =)
  • lolitarun
    Options
    Inches... Worry more about that rather than the number on the scale! What matters most is how you feel.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    Inches...definitley. Now don't get me wrong. I'd LOVE to weigh less so I can be swooped up off my feet from a man...but at 5'11'' and currently at 174...probably not going to happen. Perhaps at 155...but I'd rather LOOK smaller than weigh less. :bigsmile:

lol my man can swoop me up off my feet -- i'm 6'0" and last weigh-in was 215lbs. my man is 6'3" and 226 :D