New and over 300# looking for support and friends

Options
Divorced mom in Illinois weighing 325...thats me. I have 3 adult/kids living at home (working and going to school) so it makes it hard to cook. Just took up aqua exercise (started yesterday) and will be going 2 times a week hopefully, and bought a used treadmill for at home. I work 2 jobs..full time sitting down as a secretary and part time evening managing a Dairy Queen so I am on my feel for that one.

I am looking for friends/support from people who know how hard it is to do exercise when you are way over weight and who struggle with eating because I do because I don't like a lot of the foods that are good for you. Any suggestions are welcome.

Good Luck everyone

Karen

Replies

• Justamom410
    Justamom410 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I'm also a mom in IL...I'm at 241lbs currently. I started MFP back in May 2011 and lost 20lbs between May and August...when I stopped doing my daily walks. I made excuses that it was too hot to walk outside (it was!) so I stopped. I've since gained that 20lbs back.

I just bought a treadmill as well and my goal is to do the 5K Run or Dye in May at Toyota Park in Bridgeview.

I work from home...so am sedentary most of the day as well...but I have been taking 10 minutes to walk on the treadmill once or twice during my workday...and I also walk at night.

I love food...but I'm learning that I need proteins to combat my love of carbs. So if I want an apple, I eat it with peanut butter.

Feel free to friend me!

Amy
  • julie45701
    julie45701 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Julie, I am 42 with a wonderful boyfriend and two grown kids. I live in rural SE Ohio and do home based social work. My boyfriend and I own a farm and grow produce and pumpkins. I decided this was the year I NEEDED to make some changes in my life. I started this year weighing 360 and having a 60 inch waist. I started doing ZUMBA 3 times a week and a 1600 calorie diet and have lost 17 pounds and 5.5 inches off my waist :-) I I am also training for a 5k in May...I may end up walking most, if not all of it, but I plan on finishing. I have found that weight loss is hard work, but so worth it as I grow smaller and smaller. I haven't always been big, I was much smaller before children, size 11/12 and then I grew to a 16/18 after right children....but years of depression and substituting food for happiness took its toll and before I knew it I was a 26/28. (I am 5'9"....so at a size 16 I look very good and healthy) My goals are to continue working out and my 1600 calorie diet and lose weight until I am a size 16/18. One of my little secrets is that I drink 4 liters of water everyday....people do not think I look 42 and are usually surprised when I say that I have adult kids.
  • 0408boys
    0408boys Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me, I have struggled my entire life with my weight and once weighed 360lbs. I have also been as low as 180lb in my early 20's with lots for hard work, but then kids and career took over and I found myself at 278 December 2012. I have lost 20lbs on here so far and hope to lose at least another 70lb. Would love to have you as an MFP friend, welcome!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Absolutely feel free to add me. I can certainly relate. At my heaviest I was 335...300 when I joined here. Now sitting at 202 and stalled...grrr! I know it seems like so far to go...but we get there one pound at a time right! :flowerforyou:
  • itsmelynn15
    Options
    Welcome to our journey!! I started in Jan. 2013 at 306 lbs. so far I have lost 20 lbs so I am here for the long haul. Add me if you'd like!!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am from Illinois too. Been using this website for over a year and it's been a lifesaver. Good luck!
  • Poetic_Photography
    Options
    Hi Karen!

I understand how hard it is to exercise with extra weight... most days I hurt & it takes everything I have to push through a workout!! :tongue:

The best advice that I can offer is to make this a lifestyle change instead of a diet... Eat the foods that you love, but modify some of the ingredients to make it a healthier version if possible ~ or, just use portion control and track your calories. :smile: Make small changes to begin with and then work up to bigger challenges...

You can do this... have faith in yourself!!
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I started this at 342lbs!!!!! Love giving and getting the support this site offers!
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Add me! Good luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tweety612013
    Options
    Feel free to add me as your friend. I am married and we are both retired and I have Lupus and Arthritis and started at 201 lbs 3 weeks ago and have lost 4 pounds even though my scaled below shows 1 lb. I did something wrong when inputting my data and it wouldn't let me change it. I am 61 years old and have shrunk to 5'4 1/2" due to osteosporosis , Lupus and all. I am on steroids and battle weight with them but I am do not give up and bound and determine to get down to a size 12/14 and I am a size 1X now. I love this site and program because there are a lot of people and we are all working toward the same goal and helping each other out. So welcome and feel free to add me and share your goals.
  • debann429
    Options
    Hello and welcome. Please feel free to add me.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! This site and the support and motivation from the amazing pals you make here is incredible! Feel free to add me (anyone can) :)
  • spacegirlz
    spacegirlz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Feel free to add me.
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome, Karen! I joined a few weeks ago and just love the support and acceptance from everyone her. Feel free to add me a a friend. i'm proud of you for making the commitment to exercise. you'll get lots of support here. just do something as often as possible and steer clear of that yummy dairy Queen food!!
  • midwesternwind
    midwesternwind Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip on drinking 4 liters of water a day. I tend to not drink enough water a day. I don't drink soda, milk or juice or much of anything...could be why I dehydrate so often lol. Congratulations on your sucess on your weight loss and I wish you the best as you lose more and more. WE CAN DO IT will all the support we have on here. I love this site. I tried other sites but never had anyone support me like here. Everyone was under 200 and trying to lose weight and I never talked to anyone over 300 that was struggling like I am until now. Thank you for your post.

Karen
  • Kbasore
    Kbasore Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just read this entire tread - anyone on here, PLEASE feel free to friend me on here! Also looking for support as I will be logging my food and workouts every day! Thank you all and best of luck with everything!

-Kristen
  • nannybubbles
    Options
    hi there from the isle of wight off the south coast of the uk....
    last spring i was 314 lbs and have just cracked the 100lbs gone so now 212 for the last couple of weeks....i just started walking and eating properly.... any encouragement i can provide i certainly will... whether it be a pat on the back or a boot up the bum!!
    feel free to add me anyone ....
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why does having adult children make it difficult to cook? You cook healthy, if they don't like it, they are old enough to fend or themselves!

The bigger issue is the two jobs: stress makes us crave the junk! Can you find a different job to replace the Dairy Queen shifts or have you come up with a plan, like bringing your own food?

For exercise, I recommend you start by walking and, if available, swimming. Those are the least stress on our joints. If you don't have access to swimming, check out chair aerobics. It is enough to get your heart pumping to build up the stamina for more vigorous exercise.

Good luck!
  • rhondadwyer69
    rhondadwyer69 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You may add me - I've been over 200lbs all of my adult life and have struggled with weight loss as well. I'm on here for support and to offer support.
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me as well...I am in it for the long haul. I still have over 100 lbs to lose.

-Lara