im trying to build a strength training program for myself

Options
Im trying to build a strength training program for myself to follow. So this is my plain.

5 minutes warm up
15 min. of running on treadmill
30 sec at 6.0

Dumbell row 15 with 5lb weights

Squats/ Press with 5lb weights

with ball crunches with holding a 10lb weight

Thats all I have so far. there is some machines that I can do.
What do you guys think.? Im new to this

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, don't use pink weights. (5lb are usually pink)
    Do much heavier if you can. 15, 20 even! You can do it!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    um. no. that's a cardio program.

look into stronglifts.com or starting strength. even New Rules of Fitness for Women.

BTW - I started from nothing, squatting empty Olympic bar (45 lbs.). I now do 155 lbs.

ixnay on the Barbie weights.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    so if I start with 8lbs and each week incresase.
  • j4zepedajj
    Options
    I think that a plan really depends on your goals. You should set a goal for yourself, and incrementally build up from one milestone to another... For example... maybe you want to lose 15 pounds.. well start with a change of lifestyle (eating wise) and start jogging.. Then for your next milestone.. incorporate weights... and built from there...
    What are your goals?
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    so if I start with 8lbs and each week incresase.

No. start with empty Oly bar. 45 lbs.
  • j4zepedajj
    Options
    Also remember that heavy weight will build muscle.. where as lighter weight with higher reps will tone you up... You DO need a mixture of both.... even women... a lot of girls say they dont want to be "buff".. but its not about getting "buff"... but rather replacing flabby parts with toned muscle...
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book The Body Sculpting Bible for Women (they also have an express book where you combine moves). The first book shows you how to do the exercises with free weights as well as on machines in the gym.
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You probably need heavier weights, even to start. I bought the Bowflex SelectTech's which are pricey, but I love them so much!

Edit: Should also say, we also have barbells and dumbbells kicking around for heavier lifts, but for me the adjustable weights are way more convenient.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Even new to this... you're stronger than you give yourself credit for. You can lift way heavier than that.

If you're dead set on using 5 pound dumbbells, you'd be better off following a 30 Day Shred type video, which will give you a balanced workout, than trying to make up something yourself. And that's fine if that's what you want to do. It can provide good results.... the success story threads here prove that.

But if you're really interested in strength training, look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. And get ready to have your socks knocked off at the transformation you'll have.

arms2-1.jpg

First picture... was still losing weight, and doing cardio and 5 pound dumbbell work.
    Second picture... lost about 10 more pounds, still doing cardio and 5 pound dumbbell work.
    Third picture... GAINED 4 pounds, and lifting heavy.

bikini-front-copy.jpg
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Im trying to build a strength training program for myself to follow. So this is my plain.

Dumbell row 15 with 5lb weights

Squats/ Press with 5lb weights

with ball crunches with holding a 10lb weight

Thats all I have so far. there is some machines that I can do.

Sounds good. You are likely capable of much more (an empty bar is usually 45lbs, and many women start there), but since you're over 40 and starting this for the first time--no harm in starting light. Focus on correct form for the first couple of weeks, while slowly increasing weights. For some of the exercises, like squats, a bar - will probably be easier to maintain form with than 2 dumbells.

If dumbells are all you have access to, here's a nice resource:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-dumbbell-workout/

If you're concerned about weights due to health reasons, you can start with resistance bands:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-resistance-band-workout/

Another good resource for strength training is Stronglifts. A good Stronglifts 5x5 (for women) post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Other videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/timdonahey
    Stronglifts Workout A: Squats, Bench Press, Pendlay Row (Full workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw)
    Stronglifts Workout B: Squats, Overhead Press, Deadlift (Full workout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU)

(Source: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tageekly ; a supportive & knowledgeable MFPer)
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Pick up the book The Body Sculpting Bible for Women (they also have an express book where you combine moves). The first book shows you how to do the exercises with free weights as well as on machines in the gym.

I got this book and The New Rules of lifting for Women from the library last weekend! Both are GREAT reading material!
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I really recommend the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I do agree about lifting heavier. You won't bulk up you will just get more toned and stronger :smile:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Im 42 years old. I have 19lbs to lose. and I also would like to tone up.
    I have a niece getting married this June. SO I want to have my met my goal by then.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    start with an emtpy barbell, 45lbs.

might be a little heavy for upper body work, try and find a fixed one at 30, 35...
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Definitely research Stronglifts or a similar program (NROLW is great but some people think it gets confusing in the later stages). Check out the summary likeschocolate posted above. You will see your body change with weight lifting so I commend you for being open to incorporating that into your routine.

And remember, it's less about the pounds you have to lose and more about the shape of your body and your fitness level. Only you see the number on the scale, but everyone sees how good you look and feel! :-)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Also remember that heavy weight will build muscle.. where as lighter weight with higher reps will tone you up... You DO need a mixture of both.... even women... a lot of girls say they dont want to be "buff".. but its not about getting "buff"... but rather replacing flabby parts with toned muscle...

please stop with "tone you up". please.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Im 42 years old. I have 19lbs to lose. and I also would like to tone up.
    I have a niece getting married this June. SO I want to have my met my goal by then.

I'm 45 years old.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

If you're dead set on using 5 pound dumbbells, you'd be better off following a 30 Day Shred type video, which will give you a balanced workout, than trying to make up something yourself. And that's fine if that's what you want to do. It can provide good results.... the success story threads here prove that.

But if you're really interested in strength training, look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. And get ready to have your socks knocked off at the transformation you'll have.

^^^this /thread
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

please stop with "tone you up". please.

Yes!! Thank you. Like fingernails on a chalkboard!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, if you have to ask how to create a routine, you aren't experienced enough to create your own routine. That's okay, because most people aren't. Find an established routine and use that for the time being