Neighbor smoking pot. What would you do?

Options

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Aww, OP, you didn't like my bait-with-Denny's plan? :'( lol

Seriously though, all pot / smoke debating aside, I do hope that you can get this resolved quietly. It would suck to have your wife lose her business... although, the silver lining in that situation might be that she would consider establishing an out-of-home daycare instead. That way, there would be no pesky neighbors to worry about in the first place.
    Actually, I LOVE that plan and, I might actually use it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    you could always resort to violence ;P

Ooh, yeah, just stand next to the fence with a shotgun pointed over it looking intimidating as hell. Those stoners would probably piss their pants in fear. And after all, guns being held by adults around children makes them safer, right? Of course right!
    My intimidation/fighting days are over.
    I had my fill in the Army.
    I really am looking for a peaceful resolution to this but, unless the Mom puts her foot down, I am about out of options.

Still say this would be better off with legal advice just saying
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Everybody is taking this so lightly. Why? You asked him to stop and he told you he didnt care. Her business could get shut down because some pot head *kitten* hole doesnt have respect for hard working people. He doesnt care about you, why should you care about him. call the cops. His mother obviously didnt raise him to respect people. He needs some kind of consequence.

Gah, what is wrong with you people? It doesnt matter if YOU dont think it is a danger for the children. Thats the health inspectors (or who ever) descision.

I dont think its cool to have children smelling pot at a young age. When they get older they will realize what that smell was.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    you could always resort to violence ;P

Ooh, yeah, just stand next to the fence with a shotgun pointed over it looking intimidating as hell. Those stoners would probably piss their pants in fear. And after all, guns being held by adults around children makes them safer, right? Of course right!

I think that was cough a joke

Not really, that's what the good ole red knecked boys used to do to pot users in the 60's. They'd just round you up., take you out the back 40 and beat you to a....... and a year later you'd catch them token up
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Aww, OP, you didn't like my bait-with-Denny's plan? :'( lol

Seriously though, all pot / smoke debating aside, I do hope that you can get this resolved quietly. It would suck to have your wife lose her business... although, the silver lining in that situation might be that she would consider establishing an out-of-home daycare instead. That way, there would be no pesky neighbors to worry about in the first place.
    Actually, I LOVE that plan and, I might actually use it.

Haha! If you can get the mom in on it too, all the better. I'm sure that if she's the upstanding schoolteacher she seems to be, she'd be just as angry and looking for a way to teach her kids a lesson... even if she paid their bail. But still, they'd be in deep trouble.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Everybody is taking this so lightly. Why? You asked him to stop and he told you he didnt care. Her business could get shut down because some pot head *kitten* hole doesnt have respect for hard working people. He doesnt care about you, why should you care about him. call the cops. His mother obviously didnt raise him to respect people. He needs some kind of consequence.

Gah, what is wrong with you people? It doesnt matter if YOU dont think it is a danger for the children. Thats the health inspectors (or who ever) descision.

I dont think its cool to have children smelling pot at a young age. When they get older they will realize what that smell was.

^^THIS^^
  • olives28
    Options
    Buy them some hookah ****, it has less of a smell
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    What amuses me is imagining that in this situation, if pot was replaced with cigarettes, would it still be this big of a deal?
    If the smoke was coming into her yard it could be. The requirements are pretty strict, at least in some states, for licensed daycares. Around here, they can't even take kids for a walk without a daily, signed permission slip from the parents. No smoking signs have to be displayed in several places.
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i would talk to the parents. perhaps they don't know. they deserve the chance to take care of it. if they don't get the job done then call the cops.
  • Pink_Pandas
    Options
    yeah because us stoners are such A**holes! Really?

I think this thread and the replies are really just flying over your head a bit. Or you're just not reading. Or have a problem with comprehension. Either way, still though, great job!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Weed is not that big a deal i mean in some states its used as medicine. Why not mind your own business
    Because when the smell interfers with my wifes business, suddenly it becomes MY business.
    I am going to take a guess and say you didn't bother to even read the post?

No i did read it but thats bs the gov cant shut you down because some dumb kids next door are smoking pot its not meth :p
    Actually, they can.
    All it takes is for one health worker to "detect an illegal substance" and the business will be instantly shut down.

Sounds like you need some legal advice not fitness you know this is a fitness site right call someone who can give you sound advice

You know nothing about childcare businesses. If Child Welfare services would know about that they'd file a report and most likely shut the business down. OP, you and your wife have worked too hard to put your business in jeopardy. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

ETA: I have nothing against smoking or smokers in general. I just work too hard in my life for others to destroy it.
  • KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1 then 2 would be my choice.

^^ THIS! I would talk to the mother and see what she says... based on the kids reaction, the mother probably doesn't care. If that's the case... call the police! It sounds like you've tried to be a polite neighbor, but if they aren't willing to stop they are putting your life in jeopardy. You gotta protect yourself! Good Luck!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    When kids are outdoors, they're breathing in all kinds of things-- car exhaust, trash odors, allergens, decomposition, etc etc. Two or three teenagers smoking pot 10-15 feet away from kids is not going to damage their little lungs one bit. Everyone seems to forget that less than twenty years ago, smoking was still allowed inside restaurants, bowling alleys, and other places, and gasp shock, parents still brought their kids to those places!

I wouldn't put my children in a daycare that was next to car exhaust all day, a factory plant, a city dump either.

I'm 45, so I haven't forgotten that smoking was still allowed inside restaurants and bowling alleys less than 20 years ago but SHOCK and HORROR...I didn't take my toddlers to those places where they'd be around second hand smoke like that.

Again, saying I would call the police is based on the fact that smoking pot is illegal here and I don't want my next door neighbor's illegal activities affecting my home business.

I want to know your secret: how do you isolate all the exhaust emissions from anywhere that your child is?

There are a lot of LEGAL activities that are far more dangerous to my child than the neighbours smoking pot outside.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Weed is not that big a deal i mean in some states its used as medicine. Why not mind your own business
    Because when the smell interfers with my wifes business, suddenly it becomes MY business.
    I am going to take a guess and say you didn't bother to even read the post?

No i did read it but thats bs the gov cant shut you down because some dumb kids next door are smoking pot its not meth :p
    Actually, they can.
    All it takes is for one health worker to "detect an illegal substance" and the business will be instantly shut down.

Sounds like you need some legal advice not fitness you know this is a fitness site right call someone who can give you sound advice

You know nothing about childcare businesses. If Child Welfare services would know about that they'd file a report and most likely shut the business down. OP, you and your wife have worked too hard to put your business in jeopardy. Anyone who says otherwise is ignorant.

and thats why I said talk to someone other than the internet :P
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I love how people are like: It's just POT, let them do what they want!

Except smoking pot is illegal.

So these kids are very blatantly breaking the law in their backyard.

If my neighbor was burying bodies in the backyard I'd call the police.
    If my neighbor was handing alcohol to their underaged kids in their backyard I'd call the police.

If you're stupid enough to do it in a place where others can catch you at it, you're stupid enough to have the police called on you. Period.

OP: I really hope you get this sorted out. I'd talk to the mom one last time and let her know you WILL call the police if it continues because your wife runs the risk of losing her business and that's not acceptable.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Kids smoking pot 50 feet away from you is not creating an unsafe environment. If they were offering it to the children, breathing it in their faces, or talking about how "cool" pot is to them, that's a whole different story. But it's their yard-- they can do what they want, and you're the one that chose to run a business out of your home. That means dealing with the fact that your neighbors have every right to smoke things in the privacy of their own backyard.

However, if you're really that worried about the day care getting shut down, talk to the parents. Getting the police involved will scare off more parents than the pot will, I guarantee you on that one.

^^^ This, who says the cops will be able to prove anything, weed is very easy to flush or eat..etc and paraphenalia can be stashed, broken or buried faster than you realize. Then what, the local paper runs a report stating your block has issues with drugs!!
    it isn't fair that they do something so close to a daycare, but who are you to judge them for it? I wont even go into all the perfectly normal responsible parents who smoke pot!!
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    It is also strong enough to where I can smell it as soon as I get out of my car (approx 50 yards away).
    5 feet from the fence line

so 50 yards plus 5 feet? or is it just 5 feet?

sorry, maybe my maths are broken.
    My driveway is about 50 yards from the backyard fence. There is my driveway, front yard, house, back yard, and then fence.
    The kids are smoking 5 feet away from the BACK fence which is between 10 and 20 feet away from the childrens play area.

ah ok. i was thinking 50 yards is a pretty hefty distance to worry about something like that.
    i guess i like the hosing idea.
    as a pot smoker, if you hosed me once and ruined a bowlpack or a blunt, id be annoyed enough that i would take my bidness inside.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Because pot heads will do anything to defend their position and many, many people fail to recognize that it is ILLEGAL. And so long as it is illegal you shouldn't be freaking doing it outside of your home.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What amuses me is imagining that in this situation, if pot was replaced with cigarettes, would it still be this big of a deal?
    If the smoke was coming into her yard it could be. The requirements are pretty strict, at least in some states, for licensed daycares. Around here, they can't even take kids for a walk without a daily, signed permission slip from the parents. No smoking signs have to be displayed in several places.

Wow, really? Daily permission slips? That seems a bit frivolous, not to mention a waste of paper. But I recognize that OP's hands are tied legally, and that it's not just a matter of opinion on tolerating pot or any other substance (though other people on this thread seem to not have noticed this). Although I doubt that the business would get shut down because of cigarettes rather than pot, because as long as the 'no smoking' signs were in place as required then it would only be the neighbor kids at fault, not the day care itself... right? If not, that seems unfairly harsh against anyone doing a business out of their home like that, because how can you control what goes on outside your own home, especially if it's not illegal?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    OMG... really? I would: just mind my own business. Or, at most, POLITELY mention to them that you can smell it and would rather not. (Cuz the war on drugs has worked so well..... at least for the criminals who make huge profits precisely because of the "illegal" status.)

While I don't personally enjoy the substance (but I do think it is a good option for people with certain health problems), I think there's much more to worry about from "legal", prescribed meds.... Such as all the people using sleeping pills and driving on the roads every day. I'd be more scared that my child will be killed in a car crash by one of those people, then harmed by a minute waft of smoke coming from the neighbour's backyard.

You'd mind your business until your business is gone because the state shut it down? Really?

There is no legal way that her business can be shut down because of the neighbour smoking pot. Really? Of course, this person needs to address it in whatever way they need to to cover their butt with the childcare authorities. Perhaps the childcare authorities will call the police. So be it. But ratting out our neighbours who are not truly causing harm? No I don't agree.
This discussion has been closed.