Half Marathon - Training plan recommendations

Options
So, I signed up for a half marathon at the end of May. I've been running for a little more than a year and my current routine is 3 miles 2 - 3 times a week.

I know I shouldn't increase mileage too quickly, and that I need to taper before the race - but that's about where my knowledge on the subject end.

Can anyone recommend a good training program for a novice runner?

Replies

• pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I recently used a 12 week program from Runners World Magazine. It was based on 4 runs a week. Max mileage it called for was 10 but I did not feel confident after doing that so I increased my longest run to a slow 12 miles. Did my first 1/2 two weeks ago and felt it went pretty well despite cold temperatures. Good luck.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I recently used a 12 week program from Runners World Magazine. It was based on 4 runs a week. Max mileage it called for was 10 but I did not feel confident after doing that so I increased my longest run to a slow 12 miles. Did my first 1/2 two weeks ago and felt it went pretty well despite cold temperatures. Good luck.

Thanks!

I think I saw the same program on Runner's World. I was a little worred about the long run topping off at 10 miles too. Did you change anything about the mileage during the week or did you just up the weekly long run slightly?
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I run with a group through a local running store We run 3 days\week with 1 extra day of running if you desire and cross training. The program is 12+ weeks.

My group does 5 miles twice a week and long runs on Sunday. I think we started at 9 miles for the long run. The max mileage is 14 miles.
    We also mix in hill work and speed work. Long runs include hills and pace increases.

When I first took these classes, my first long run was 5 miles and we added a mile each week. At that time, my longest run was 3 miles.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I run with a group through a local running store We run 3 days\week with 1 extra day of running if you desire and cross training. The program is 12+ weeks.

My group does 5 miles twice a week and long runs on Sunday. I think we started at 9 miles for the long run. The max mileage is 14 miles.
    We also mix in hill work and speed work. Long runs include hills and pace increases.

When I first took these classes, my first long run was 5 miles and we added a mile each week. At that time, my longest run was 3 miles.

^^^ This
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Try Hal Higdon, or the Runner's World Smart Coach program (you do have to pay a little for that one). For my first I didn't really follow a program just ran a couple runs during the week, and then slowly increased my runs on the weekends. I think I took it to a 12 mile run. My current Runner's World Smart Coach plan, I started at a much higher mileage (was already running over 20 miles a week), and have already run 1 13 mile run, and will get in several more before my half in April.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So, I signed up for a half marathon at the end of May. I've been running for a little more than a year and my current routine is 3 miles 2 - 3 times a week.

I know I shouldn't increase mileage too quickly, and that I need to taper before the race - but that's about where my knowledge on the subject end.

Can anyone recommend a good training program for a novice runner?

Runners World has a nice little feature that builds a training schedule. Lots of people use it with great success.

Don't worry about a "taper" - the half is short enough that there's no need for a taper.

Good luck with the race.
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon has one of the most popular programs. Check the link below.

I personally recommend finding a local running group (if possible) and training with them. It will push you way harder and get you the best preparation possible in my opinion.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    another vote for Higdon!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I think I saw the same program on Runner's World. I was a little worred about the long run topping off at 10 miles too. Did you change anything about the mileage during the week or did you just up the weekly long run slightly?

If you're following the training plan, you'll get through the half even though your max is 10.

One thing that is different between 10 and 13, for me anyway, is refueling.

Runners World has some info about food and refueling. Also, I posted a link to my eating plan for my half.

It's here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCsYuXopoFadEtwMGNfcElmQVFWUWRqb1pKOVpJaHc&usp=sharing

That's the food for a 180 pounder so YMMV. Also, I think I ate more than I needed.

Check out energygelcentral.com for good info.

I use Gu but have picked up a bottle of Karo because it's a lot cheaper and very similar to Gu/Hammer/ etc.

And guys reading this — be aware that you can tear up your nipples if you're not taped. Seriously. I need to tape for run >= 10 miles and I'm only 16% body fat so if you've got some extra weight there, be careful.

I ran a half a few weeks ago, the tape on my nipples came off and I was bleeding at the end. My fiancee gave me the tops to her contact lens case and so I taped them on for a couple of days that it took to recover! :-)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    make it +3 votes for Hal Higdon...he also advocates 'walking breaks' during the run should you need them, and the Higdon training plans are also available as iphone/android apps.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    There are lots of good training schedules out there, just find one the fits your schedule. You are right, don't increase your mileage too fast. Have one day you do you long SLOW runs. The training schedules can vary between your longest being 10-14 miles. I have ran two halves and am currently training for two more (one in the beginning of May and the next end of June) I don't agree with the other poster about taper, taper is very important, it gives your body a chance to rest after a long tough training schedule. If this is your first half then you really NEED to taper. I would recommend having your long run be 12 to 14 miles. My first training schedule had me go 11 before my first half, the second had me go 14. I would recommend the higher mileage.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

Thanks!

If you're following the training plan, you'll get through the half even though your max is 10.

One thing that is different between 10 and 13, for me anyway, is refueling.

Runners World has some info about food and refueling. Also, I posted a link to my eating plan for my half.

It's here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtCsYuXopoFadEtwMGNfcElmQVFWUWRqb1pKOVpJaHc&usp=sharing

That's the food for a 180 pounder so YMMV. Also, I think I ate more than I needed.

Check out energygelcentral.com for good info.

I use Gu but have picked up a bottle of Karo because it's a lot cheaper and very similar to Gu/Hammer/ etc.

And guys reading this — be aware that you can tear up your nipples if you're not taped. Seriously. I need to tape for run >= 10 miles and I'm only 16% body fat so if you've got some extra weight there, be careful.

I ran a half a few weeks ago, the tape on my nipples came off and I was bleeding at the end. My fiancee gave me the tops to her contact lens case and so I taped them on for a couple of days that it took to recover! :-)

My last LONG run (for me) was 7 miles and I bloodied up a white cotton shirt because I forgot to tape. I have run a few 5Ks since then and I'm now back up to 4 1/4 once a week and I'm not taping and I'm not having problems. I'm sure when it's warmer or I'm running longer I'll need to tape.

That being said, I've received several recommendations for Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training program so that is what I'll be doing for my first 1/2 marathon in the fall.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Another one that used Hal Higdon's plan here. Loved it. I was able to run the entire way on my first half marathon, including all of the crazy San Francisco hills. I'd used his plans to train for a 7-K and a 10-K prior to that so he was my go-to for the Half as well. I improved my pace by almost a full minute per mile from when I started training for my first race to the first Half I ran.

Also used the same program for my second half and felt just as good that time. Though, I didn't improve on my time from my first Half, but it was also about 20 degrees hotter during the second race than during the first. So the fact that I matched my time, almost to the second, I still see a win.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have used Hal Higdron 3X and love the plan. This time I am switching it up a little and doing the "finish it" plan from another mother runner. It is more aggressive in mileage.
  • stmcfred
    stmcfred Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's is the best! I've used that program a few times. For half marathons and my marathon. I'm currently doing the Novice 2 for the half marathon (mine is April 28th!) Good luck on your training!
  • pbl1966
    Options

Thanks!

Oops!!!
  • pbl1966
    Options

Thanks!

I basically kept my weekly mileage about the same as the plan. Did the 10 miles @ beginning of week 9 (had done a 15K, 9.3, 9 days before) and did not feel like I was ready to go another 3. Was fueling every 30 - 40 minutes on long runs. Did 12.2 2 1/2 weeks before my race and had so much more confidence.
  • donnacervelli11
    donnacervelli11 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for your advice. I looked over Hal Higdon's race training plan and I think I'm going to give it a shot, since the race is at the end of May, I can comfortably use his 12 week plan.

I'll also make sure to do a gear check to in hopes of avoiding the dreaded bloody nipple syndrome ::cringe, LOL::.

I see that the Higdon program (I'm using Novice 1) schedules strength sessions - what kind of strenght work do you do, if any? Would kettlebells be okay? Or is that too much?

Thank you again for your feedback, you're all awesome :)
  • NLKatherine
    NLKatherine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    **want to find this later, curious about this topic, debating it myself....**
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for your advice. I looked over Hal Higdon's race training plan and I think I'm going to give it a shot, since the race is at the end of May, I can comfortably use his 12 week plan.

I'll also make sure to do a gear check to in hopes of avoiding the dreaded bloody nipple syndrome ::cringe, LOL::.

I see that the Higdon program (I'm using Novice 1) schedules strength sessions - what kind of strenght work do you do, if any? Would kettlebells be okay? Or is that too much?

Thank you again for your feedback, you're all awesome :)

I would occasionally do a kettlebell workout for my strength nights but I mostly did the below workout. I only had a universal machine in my apartment's fitness center at my disposal so stuff like my squats and lunges only had a maximum of 10 additional pounds I could add to my own bodyweight, so I usually would just do 20 reps (on each leg for the lunges) for those. The rest I did at weights that were heavy enough that I couldn't do more than eight reps. If I was consistently able to go past eight reps for three workouts in a row, I upped the weight. I did three sets of the entire list below on Mondays and Thursdays.

Chest Press
    Lat Pull
    Leg Extensions
    Seated Row
    Ab Crunch
    Bicep Curls
    Lunges
    Tricep Pushdown
    Standing Row
    Leg Curls
    Overhead Press
    Shoulder Press