Looking to expand my home gym

Options
I want to start lifting heavier so I am looking to expand my home gym with more/heavier weights. I am torn between a weight machine like the bowflex or buying more free weights/plates and a weight bench. The weight machine is more limiting i think but it offers higher weight for the $$. The free weights seem like they'd be more versatile but would take up more room and i would need to purchase more at some point in the near future. Anyone have a recommendation on which they think would be a better addition?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    the free weights offer more strength and conditioning for the money. =p
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, the gym is the best (and safest) option. I sold my stuff except for two dumbbells with variable weight plates which I can still can use whenever I lack the time to go to the gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    the free weights offer more strength and conditioning for the money. =p

This. Plus it's more adaptable as your goals change. And when you reach the point where you have to buy more weights it will be a glorious nsv, not a drag.
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I own a Bowflex. I do like the unit but it does have limitations. If you have the room and you intend on progressing to bigger and heavier, I would recommend free weights. My main activity is running so the Bowflex is quick and suits my needs.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You've helped me make my decision, I'm going with free weights.