How do we know calories burned are accurate?

Options
2»

Replies

• twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me so far is using MFP for exercise and eating.

I suppose if you are doing mega exercise and you want to eat mega to compensate then you would have to know the exact cals??
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Check multiple calculators or an HRM, you cannot always be totally sure how much you burn no matter what you use but an HRM will be the most accurate and if you use multiple calculators that would be another way to be nearly sure of what you burned.

Calculators were showing me burning 350ish calories during my 45 minute zumba class when my HRM on mutliple tries was burning closer to 700 calories, just as an example of how wrong calculators could be.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I just got a hrm and am noticing that all my guesses were overestimated but not by a whole lot. One exercise was overestimated by 150 calories though! :/ Get a hrm!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Check multiple calculators or an HRM, you cannot always be totally sure how much you burn no matter what you use but an HRM will be the most accurate and if you use multiple calculators that would be another way to be nearly sure of what you burned.

Calculators were showing me burning 350ish calories during my 45 minute zumba class when my HRM on mutliple tries was burning closer to 700 calories, just as an example of how wrong calculators could be.

Or how wrong your HRM is?
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    They are probably wrong. HRM's might not be completely accurate either. I say if you are maintaining what you think is a deficit and not losing weight, you may be under estimating your food or overestimating your burn. Adjust and see what happens. I think it is all trial and error. It sucks, because it takes a long time to figure out if you are doing it right, but it will be helpful in the long run to help maintain your desired body weight and whatever else..
  • Carnal_Desire
    Carnal_Desire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That makes me mad.. Why do guys seem to burn so many more calories and Lose so much more weight faster than we do?!?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i dont see how a heart rate monitor is going to give you a precise amount of calories burned either. I keep seeing HRMs suggested as the end-all-be-all but just because your heart was beating faster it does not mean you burnt more calories. Calorie burn is still dependent on many factors other than heart rate: amount of muscle, metabolism being two biggies
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I read that you burn approx 100 calories in 10 minutes of moderate exercise.. is that accurate? I have no idea.. BUT.. it seems to be what the machines at the gym are set at and many of the preset calories burns for other activites seem to use this number. It's just an average.

I wouldn't count on that being accurate. (for you)

I added 'for you' since HRMs measure your heart rate. If you're in terrible condition your heart rate might go through the roof just getting up and walking up the stairs but if you're a long distance runner your heart rate won't change at all walking up the stairs. With this logic the estimates in MFP are probably accurate for someone but not most.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just to add to my last post I have access to an HRM and also a swim monitor, but still use MFP...it works for me :smile:
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor. They are so worth it. However, make sure you buy a decent one. I had a cheap one that OVER calculated my calories burned...I didn't lose weight. I splurged and bought one with features like:

In depth info: you height, current weight, gender etc
    It ask for your goals
    It has a "fit test" on it.

Every week it asks me update my weight for accuracy, it also wants me to take the fit test again every week but I do that more like once a month. Good Luck!

PS. I have a Polar HRM

Which Polar? I want one! I have a ft4 and it doesnt do that, unless there is something I am not getting into.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I worry that when I enter the calories burned from those recommended on the site, that they are not correct? Let's say that I think (according to the site) that I burned 300 calories doing 30 min of aerobics. How is that 300 determined? It's not determined by my personal information (height, weight, age, etc.). So what if I eat those extra 300 calories, but I really only burned 200 calories? Then I'm 100 calories over. Am I being paranoid? :huh:

I checked what it says against a couple of other websites that go by your weight. Then went with the one with the lowest number. I figure it is better to be on the low side of exercise and the high side of food when in doubt.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's not determined by my personal information (height, weight, age, etc.).

Yes it is. As you lose weight, your calorie burn will decrease. At my weight, I might get 200 calories from 30 minutes of aerobics. If I was 110 pounds, about 160 calories.

That said, they're all estimates. The more precise an activity is, the closer to accurate it will be. "Running 6mph" will be more accurate than something vague like "Elliptical" which has no variables for pace or resistance.

A heart rate monitor is also an estimate, but likely more accurate than the entries in the database.

The BEST way to tell if it's accurate is through trial and error. Are you getting the results you want? Then it's close enough to accurate. For me, using MFP, a treadmill or Runkeeper to estimate calories (which were all pretty close to each other) got me the results I was looking for, so I felt no need to get a HRM.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it does not matter if your calories burned are accurate. i don't care if you log a 6 mile run as 10 cals or 2000 cals because in the end it makes absolutely no difference.

weigh yourself once per week. are you losing weight? if yes, keep doing what you're doing. if no, then adjust calories down. are you feeling tired all the time? then adjust our calories up a bit. after a few weeks of monitoring your scale, you will be dialed in, no matter what number you log for your exercise cals.

you fix your calories that you consume, not your method of counting calories.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You don't and just hope they are! >.< Or buy a heart rate monitor :D
    And even HRMs are not completely accurate. There is truly no way to ever know with 100% certianty what a calorie burn is.

This. In the end it's all estimates. The best thing to do is look at weight loss, gain or maintenance over time, and adjust from there.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Psssst: your food calories aren't all that accurate either. It just seems to all work out in the end.

Must be magic!

LOL elven magic?

But you dont even HRM arent an exact measurement (better, but not exact). Just follow the golden rules eat less of a balanced diet and move a little more. In theory this could work.
  • latprin
    latprin Posts: 16
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is very effective. I have a Polar FT60, it has a training program which gives feedback after each session and once a week.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4, and really like it (so far). It's a little less money than some of the others suggested above, but, still covers most of the basics you'd want in a HRM.
  • bcassill2013
    bcassill2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Buy a heart rate monitor. They are so worth it. However, make sure you buy a decent one. I had a cheap one that OVER calculated my calories burned...I didn't lose weight. I splurged and bought one with features like:

In depth info: you height, current weight, gender etc
    It ask for your goals
    It has a "fit test" on it.

Every week it asks me update my weight for accuracy, it also wants me to take the fit test again every week but I do that more like once a month. Good Luck!

PS. I have a Polar HRM

Which Polar? I want one! I have a ft4 and it doesnt do that, unless there is something I am not getting into.

Yeah, I have the FT4, it doesn't do that(fitness test), only a couple models do. Check the Polar web site, it will tell you which ones have that feature.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    it does not matter if your calories burned are accurate. i don't care if you log a 6 mile run as 10 cals or 2000 cals because in the end it makes absolutely no difference.

weigh yourself once per week. are you losing weight? if yes, keep doing what you're doing. if no, then adjust calories down. are you feeling tired all the time? then adjust our calories up a bit. after a few weeks of monitoring your scale, you will be dialed in, no matter what number you log for your exercise cals.

you fix your calories that you consume, not your method of counting calories.

You are right of course. The issue becomes the design of this site. Instead of a TDEE - X%/ activity level determiner, you earn calories back through exercise to get to the same place. In a way, it's better because you don't get 'em til you earn 'em. In a way it's worse because it causes 2 different problems. 1) is makes people OCD about exactly what thier burn is. 2) it confused the snot out of people who can't seem to get that the deficit is already built in and want to know why they eat back exercise calories.

For those that obsess over the burn, try an experiment for a month. Use Scooby or some other TDEE calculator and figure an estimate of your TDEE and your activity level. Take 20% or 25% off that and that is your eating plan every day to set your calories. Work out as you normally would and log it as 1 calorie.

See if that doesn't end the obsessing about "exact" burns from exercise. Truth is, there ain't no such thing and it's a waste of time and energy worrying about it. As Dave says above.