Any Orthodox Christians out there??

Options
Great lent is just around the corner, and yes, our fasting regime will definitely help with weight loss does anybody have any ideas of how to keep up calories while working out and fasting?? I am trying to follow Dan's IPOARM, and am at about 1800/day...is this even possible during lent? I work out 3 times a week doing strength training and cardio combo Help is welcome please...also I would love any Orthodox friends as well, fee free to add :)

Replies

• Motria
    Motria Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yep, Ukrainian Orthodox here. If your traditions are like ours, then you're basically eating vegan, right? No meat, fish, dairy, eggs, butter, and oil. Same as any vegan, you should ensure getting enough protein, not just any calories. I'd say eat more beans, lentils, soy, as well as whole grains - brown rice, quinoa. I'm not very observant.. but maybe I'll do Lent this year, too. :smile:
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Me!! I'm Greek Orthodox :)

I kinda wanted to try to fast from meat all 40 days, but it's not possible in my lifestyle. My mom does not buy that much seafood, and I'm afraid I will get burnt out since I've never done a strict fast like that. However, I do fast from meat the whole entire first week, every Wednesday and Friday, and Holy week.

I haven't decided what I'm giving up for Lent yet...
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    Yea! Happy to see other Orthodox peeps! We are fairly strict (my fiance and I), however for him it's much easier...he had the gastric lap band and can't eat much anyway...he loves lent! Lent is a bit harder for me...normally I eat everything we're to abstain from. So vegan pretty much, yes. The protein tip is key...love tofu and quinoa.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Greek Orthodox here! Lots of faki (lentils)!
  • neveend
    neveend Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI there,
    im coptic orthodox and i was just googling that, ways to lose weight while being vegan.
    A few tips that im going to try to stick too the whole time is soy milk with a healthy cereal
    for dinner you can have tabeekh with cawliflower rice instead of actual rice or switch to squash spaghetti instead of pasta
    lol the plan is to stay away from koshari and tameya lol and fries!
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Orthodox here, too, but already vegan. Just wanted to say Hi! Feel free to friend me!
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Serbian Orthodox here, but I'm not fasting :laugh:
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yaaaay... another Greek!

I LOVE lentil soup!!!!
    Greek Orthodox here! Lots of faki (lentils)!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Raised Russian Ortho
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    I think I am in the minority of being OCA, but my fiance grew up Antiochian! I am a convert, but have absolutely fallen in love with Orthodoxy
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    I think I am in the minority of being OCA, but my fiance grew up Antiochian! I am a convert, but have absolutely fallen in love with Orthodoxy

:wink: we're awesome.
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    :smile:
  • cteterenko
    Options
    My first ever post in the forums, but I've been lurking for weeks now - couldn't resist answering this thread!

Ukrainian Orthodox here (I'm an adult convert who converted in the Antiochian Orthodox church and married a cradle Ukrainian Orthodox). We don't go vegan for Lent, we keep fish, dairy and eggs to save my sanity. Our lentil consumption definitely goes up during Lent, and if I"m not careful, my bread consumption!

Nice to see other Orthodox folks here!! :smile:
  • stacyhall79
    Options
    My first ever post in the forums, but I've been lurking for weeks now - couldn't resist answering this thread!

Ukrainian Orthodox here (I'm an adult convert who converted in the Antiochian Orthodox church and married a cradle Ukrainian Orthodox). We don't go vegan for Lent, we keep fish, dairy and eggs to save my sanity. Our lentil consumption definitely goes up during Lent, and if I"m not careful, my bread consumption!

Nice to see other Orthodox folks here!! :smile:

Nice seeing you on the boards! I feel special this was your first post, lol :) The other catch of my diet is, is that I am gluten free...so no bread either! Last year I felt like I couldn't eat anything...but am feeling more prepared for this season. I've never cooked lentils, so I will have to give that a go!
  • india20021
    india20021 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Russian Orthodox here in AK..although I also go to the Greek orthodox church sometimes too:) soups are good like veggie borscht and red stew with no beef:)
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Same here.

Born/Raised Russian... though now that I'm an adult I don't go nearly as much as a probably should. Which is pretty sad considering the local church is less than a block from my house.

We ate lots of Greek and Middle Eastern food during lent. Hummus, Spanikopita, Moussaka, Fallafel etc. Also lots of "Italian" food.

Growing up we never ate meat on Friday. Dinner was usually pizza or spaghetti. I was always jealous of kids who ate meatballs with their spaghetti.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Russian Orthodox here in AK..although I also go to the Greek orthodox church sometimes too:) soups are good like veggie borscht and red stew with no beef:)

You have a Russian AND a Greek Church? You probably also have a Taco Bell and a road that goes to another town.

(I'm in Juneau)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I haven't ended up fasting this lent as I had planned. Anyway, I was raised Roman Catholic, and I have never been to an Orthodox Church. I am a theology student, though, that is focusing on Eastern theology, and I would have to say I am theologically Orthodox. :) There are no Orthodox churches where I live though, sadly. :(
  • stacyhall79
    Options

You have a Russian AND a Greek Church? You probably also have a Taco Bell and a road that goes to another town.

(I'm in Juneau)

Wow-you would totally be blown away by DC, lol we have Russian, Greek, Byzantine, Romanian, Antiochian, OCA, Georgian, Etc etc etc!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Roman Catholic over here. My father was raised Russian Orthodox but I honestly don't know much about it. My lenten tradition is not nearly as strict though as yours sounds. No meat on Friday (excuse for a big fish fry lol) and I fast on Good Friday. Might try to fast on all the Holy days this time though. Fasting for me is no food till sundown. One year I went the whole day and thought I was gonna pass out in church haha. Oh I'm gluten free as well. Feel free to add me!