Total Novice runner

Options
So I signed up for a 5K and have 6 weeks to train for it. I have been sedentary for a year and half prior to that due to a swift kick in the *kitten* of life. Anyway....I am doing the C25K for training and only running for 3 minutes at a time. I know it will ramp up my next day of training I think to 5 minutes. My legs really burn when I am running. Here is my question- is it normal for my legs to burn and when will it get better?

I am in good pretty shape but again just getting back into the groove. Need advice for a novice!

I am committed to doing the 5K but a little nervous also, how should I physic myself out so I can begin to add time to my run? The 5K is in 3 weeks!!

Replies

• bagsrpacked
    Options
    First, don't worry if you have to walk part of it. The fact that you're DOING it is what is important. If you really feel strongly about running the whole thing, take it slow ... no, slooooowwww. If your legs are burning, chances are one of three things is going on:

1. You aren't stretching. You need to walk for about 5 minutes to warm up your muscles and then stretch - stretching cold will do you no good at all.
    2. You are pushing yourself too hard - check www.jeffgalloway.com for running tips and plans for beginners. His stuff has really helped me - I used to be the slowest runner in the world - no, seriously, ants passed me ... it was humiliating - but now my speed is up and I set a PR on my last 5k, expecting to blow that out of the water on my next one. Don't think you have to be fast. That was the biggest mistake I made in the beginning - when running hurts, it isn't any fun.
    3. You need real running shoes - yes, it makes a difference. Don't go to Target or Sports Authority. Go to a real running store. They're everywhere once you start to look for them. Most will have a treadmill in the store where a sales person will watch you walk, watch you run, and determine HOW you are doing it. They can then recommend shoes (and fit them for you) that will help correct any of the problems you may have when you walk and/or run.

Good luck on your 5k! I'm hooked now - did my first one in January 2012, my second one in Feb 2013, and now am signed up for one every month - but it took awhile to find my rhythm. I'm still finding it, actually - but I'm at the point now where running is actually fun and I look forward to doing it - instead of a chore that I have to check off my list.
  • lisalower
    lisalower Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Terriann7, I just want to encourage you to keep going and the advice of the previous poster sounds great. I only ran for the first time when I was 38. I'm now 46 and run routinely and LOVE it. I started slow. I'd walk for a while, then say to myself, "lets see if I can run to the next corner intersection". Then the next day, "maybe I can go a little further", then "maybe I can walk/run for a mile" etc. I felt like Forrest Gump LOL.

:-)
  • Terriann7
    Terriann7 Posts: 78
    Options
    First, don't worry if you have to walk part of it. The fact that you're DOING it is what is important. If you really feel strongly about running the whole thing, take it slow ... no, slooooowwww. If your legs are burning, chances are one of three things is going on:

1. You aren't stretching. You need to walk for about 5 minutes to warm up your muscles and then stretch - stretching cold will do you no good at all.
    2. You are pushing yourself too hard - check www.jeffgalloway.com for running tips and plans for beginners. His stuff has really helped me - I used to be the slowest runner in the world - no, seriously, ants passed me ... it was humiliating - but now my speed is up and I set a PR on my last 5k, expecting to blow that out of the water on my next one. Don't think you have to be fast. That was the biggest mistake I made in the beginning - when running hurts, it isn't any fun.
    3. You need real running shoes - yes, it makes a difference. Don't go to Target or Sports Authority. Go to a real running store. They're everywhere once you start to look for them. Most will have a treadmill in the store where a sales person will watch you walk, watch you run, and determine HOW you are doing it. They can then recommend shoes (and fit them for you) that will help correct any of the problems you may have when you walk and/or run.

Good luck on your 5k! I'm hooked now - did my first one in January 2012, my second one in Feb 2013, and now am signed up for one every month - but it took awhile to find my rhythm. I'm still finding it, actually - but I'm at the point now where running is actually fun and I look forward to doing it - instead of a chore that I have to check off my list.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! This is very helpful. Your right pain kind of takes the fun out of everything! My feet are off the hook in pain but I am going to take your advice and go get some good running shoes! I did go buy some at Big 5...a waste of money I suppose.
  • haanmom
    haanmom Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! I consider myself a newbie runner still. I did my first 5K, after completing Couch to 5K, in 2010 and run a few 5 or 10Ks a year but don't really run serious miles year round.

I stretch before running and also briskly walk a few blocks (or minutes if on treadmill) before I start running. I almost always experience tightness/burning in my calves. What I have noticed in myself is that it starts within the first few minutes and usually lasts until right around I hit the 1st mile mark (for me that is 10-11 minutes in to my run right now). The "burn" is NOT pain, but it is enough that I have to push through and self-talk through it.

I check in with my body pretty regularly while I run and I know now that the calf burn is part of the beginning of a run for me. I also know that I personally have less flexible ankles than average which may put more strain on my calves.

Anyway, some things to consider other than proper warmup... leg strength and flexibility. Are you properly hydrated and nourished before your run? (You might try a banana a little while before your run for potassium) Do you have GOOD running shoes that are in good condition? Shoes make a huge difference in running comfort and if your shoes aren't good it could cause aches and pains in your feet or legs. (For me personally I always know it is time for new shoes because I'll start noticing soreness in the outer knee ligaments. Weird.) **Oops, just re-read and saw that someone already mentioned the shoes thing!**

Hope this helps!
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best runner in the world, but I'm better than the one who doesn't run at all.

Please don't take pain lightly. I'm not a beginner at all. I knew better, but to save time I went to Macy's to buy shoes. Why, oh why did I do that? I ignored my pain and now have a cast on to treat my tendinitis.

Days before heading to urgent care I finally got sense to go to the Running Company. The sales guy was sooo helpful I had to buy from him. He showed on video how I was over pronating and then put me in a shoe where I saw on video that it corrected the problem when I ran.

If you have calf pain, invest in a foam roller $25+ to knead out your calves. The muscles are tight from the running and cold and are a recipe for injury. Say you still don't want to spend the money, at least massage the muscles out each day. This months issue of Runners World has some form exercises to strengthen and prevent injury. Highly recommended. Check out their website as well. Good luck and happy running.