Good HRM and calorie counter

Options
Hi Guys,
Any suggestions for a good HRM and fitness calorie counter. I really just want one for my workouts. I bought a fitbit because of the reviews but I really can't get with it. Today, I didn't workout at all but it's saying I burned 2500 calories from just being at work. I just don't think that's fair to log if I didn't really workout. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon

Replies

• JustinSLawler
    JustinSLawler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Any suggestions for a good HRM and fitness calorie counter. I really just want one for my workouts. I bought a fitbit because of the reviews but I really can't get with it. Today, I didn't workout at all but it's saying I burned 2500 calories from just being at work. I just don't think that's fair to log if I didn't really workout. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hope to hear from you soon

Hi btskinny,

Garmin and Polo make some GREAT heart rate monitors. The fitbits from what I've read online were really hyped up over the last couple of years and brought out their product a little too early. The concept for it was great, they just failed to deliver in my oppinion. Bare in mind that they're not always going to give you an accurate result as well, look up a few reviews and research them a bit before you make the purchase, and you shouldn't go wrong!

I hope that helped a little.

Justin
  • jmjones2002
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4..the FT40 tracks your last 10 workouts & has a fitness test option for about 120.00. Mine cost me 90.00 @ ****s Sporting Goods..It keeps up with my heartrate & cals burned..it has more options but I haven't checked those our yet..also waterproof so that's a plus for water aerobics:-) I Love it!!
  • alejandroak
    Options
    Personally I love my Polar FT80...

I suppose it's a little pricey, but then everything is relative.

The FT80 COMES with the $40 wireless computer link (Polar "Flow Link")...

The next watch down (FT60) costs $130 and DOES NOT have the FlowLink... But I WANT to have the data, so I went to the next HRM "up" that included the FlowLink, the FT80.

I love to record everything, and then view my results and progress. Here is my spinning session from Tuesday for example:

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=6513aa54a4a8f864cc63105f28777bc8

1,176 calories, 76 minutes, fun times... And oh great, it shows my full name... Piece of *kitten*... LoL!!

BUT... If you just want an HRM that will keep track of sessions, HR, etc. the Polar FT40 and FT60 are great watches too!!

IF you only want to know your HR while exercising, you can buy a Polar strap and transmitter for $50, which is A LOT less than $200 for the FT80, or $130 for the FT60...

Personally, I use my HRM 8 times/week, I've lost 20lbs so far, and I LOVE data, so it was 100% worth it for me to get the FT80...

You'll have to decide for yourself, there are many options out there. Other brands: Suunto, Garmin, + others.

:-)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 yesterday and used it for the first time tonight. It is basic and good for *ME*. I don't need lots of buttons and options, tho. LOVE it! $96 after tax at DSG store!
  • alejandroak
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 yesterday and used it for the first time tonight. It is basic and good for *ME*. I don't need lots of buttons and options, tho. LOVE it! $96 after tax at DSG store!

Yeah I think if you're not a data freak like me, then the FT4 sounds like a GREAT deal, and especially at a great price!

Besides, you can always throw your results in Excel/Word every day or at the end of the week if you want to keep records and view trends, etc. Or just record totals at the end of the week, not every day details...

Good advice :-)