• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Cut in half lengthwise

Scoop out seeds

Add a tablespoon of brown sugar to each half

Optionally add a pat of butter, a little OJ, or a pinch of salt

Wrap in foil

Bake open side up at 350 until soft (45-90 min depending on size), let it cool a bit, then scoop out into a bowl

...and just to clarify, it's called spaghetti squash because it looks like spaghetti. It should NOT, in my opinion, be used as a substitute for pasta. Blech!
  • Kampsitekt
    Options
    I've gotten several spaghetti squash recipes from Myrecipes.com. We love substituting spaghetti squash for pasta! I had gone to Weight Watchers in the past and they suggest using it instead of pasta. It is great served hot or cold. Bonne` Petit!!!!
  • KMaier6689
    Options
    I made a spaghetti squash casserole last week following the recipe below and it was DELICIOUS! I substituted ground turkey for the sausage and used fat free mozzarella.

http://apieceofcakeforme.blogspot.com/2010/10/baked-spaghetti-squash-casserole.html
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of cooking the squash in the microwave so that the strands are firmer, I'm going to try that. Once you've scraped out the 'spaghetti' combine with well-drained rotel tomatoes, kidney beans, and cheese, bake in the over 15 minutes. Very good!
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am going to try today. I am going to use regular beef and spaghetti sauce. If I like the spaghetti squash with this, I will replace the ground beef with Boca veggie crumble and have it for one of my veggie days.

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.
  • betancourta229
    betancourta229 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash, Pesto,chicken plain browned,artichoke hearts topped with Parmesan cheese...so good!

My veggie hating friend even liked it!
  • aleyjewell
    aleyjewell Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My 21 month old is the worlds pickiest eater! The only time we can get her to clean her plate completly is if it is pasta. I tried the recipe below a couple weeks ago and she ate it all!! I throughly enjoyed it and thought it was an excellent pasta replacement.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/cheesy-baked-spaghetti-squash-boats.html
  • LisaAvasNana
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes. Keep them coming. I have seen a few recipes on the skinnytaste site today. The look delicious. Showed the pics to my family and they agree. Gonna try one of the recipes later today. Not sure which one. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to stir fry onions, peppers, and spinach in some oil, then toss in the "spaghetti" from my oven cooked squash with salt and pepper. Sometimes will also add chicken to the stir fry or other veg, depending on what is in the fridge that day.
  • LisaAvasNana
    Options
    Made the Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash Boats with Grilled Chicken tonight. I LOVE IT! My hubby had bought what I thought was medium/large squash so cut them in half after I had the finished product. Because we cut them in half to share I scrapped mine out of the boat and lightly mixed it together. I WILL be making this recipe again.
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my faves..

Spaghetti Squash and White Bean Provencal

o 1 (2 1/2-pound) spaghetti squash
    o Cooking spray
    o 1 teaspoon roasted garlic-flavored vegetable oil
    o 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 1 leek)
    o 2 (16-ounce) cans navy beans, drained
    o 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
    o 2 tablespoons chopped ripe olives
    o 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    o 1/4 teaspoon salt
    o 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    o Fresh celery leaves (optional)

• Preheat oven to 350°.
    • Wash squash; cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add water to depth of 1/2 inch. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork; let cool slightly. Using a fork, scrape spaghetti-like strands onto a platter; set aside, and keep warm.
    • Coat a saucepan with cooking spray; add oil. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add leek; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until tender. Add beans and tomatoes; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in olives and next 3 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated. Spoon bean mixture over squash. Garnish with celery leaves, if desired.

**Before I spoon anything over spag squash, I like to toss it in a pan with butter spray, garlic and salt.