'Lean' in some places, still fat in others?

Options
Wasn't sure where to post this, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this: With weight loss, have you noticed that you can see bone in some places of your body like your ribs and chest but still have a good amount of fat elsewhere, ex. legs, arms, stomach? Is this just genetics and a toning/lack of muscle issue?

Replies

• mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    Yeah i guess its because we can't tell our bodies where to drop the fat from :( I am sure lack of muscle will play a part too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My love handles are the absolute last thing to go. I can be 12% body fat and still have them. Stupid genetics.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yeah, noticing my upper ribs the other day was a bit disconcerting. If a bit of strengthening will fix that, then so be it. Thanks for the responses. :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Your body picks where fat is lost from when. So, I have a fairly bony upper chest, a nice looking (imho) back, but from the belly button to 6 inches above my knees, there's an extra couple of layers. ;)
  • annepage
    Options
    Your body picks where fat is lost from when. So, I have a fairly bony upper chest, a nice looking (imho) back, but from the belly button to 6 inches above my knees, there's an extra couple of layers. ;)

You pretty much described what I've found with myself. :)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    My love handles are the absolute last thing to go. I can be 12% body fat and still have them. Stupid genetics.
    Yep. I have to be extremely lean not to have some paunch around my tummy, but then I look downright gaunt. Decided my maximum happiness is to live with it and be happy with the good parts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've always had more fat on my bum and thighs than the rest of my body, and likely always will. I don't desire to drop my BF low enough to get rid of the bottom fat because I don't think the rest of me would look good. So, I just married a man that likes a big bum, do squats and lunges to keep it firm, and go on about my life.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have exactly this. I can see my ribs and chest bones but my lower body is clinging to fat...it's a bigger problem for women in this area, I think...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. I'm pretty happy with my legs, upper back & shoulders while my chest and sides of rib cage are looking far to bony for my liking. Meanwhile, My upper arms, belly and lower back cling onto more fat than I would like.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Not to sound rude, but it's good to hear I'm not the only one..
    I'm quite happy with my body now. Not so long ago I never thought I would say this!
    But. Butt, I mean the bottom part of it is saggy with fat at the bottom. My thighs are quite shapely but the top part is still... too much. My love handles are gone! YAY! But, the middle of my tummy where my babies bumped it is quite wobbly still. With a pudding padding I would rather be without.

But the main part is that I've started changing my body to the better and it's a million times better than before. I'll take that. And work towards fixing at least some of the remaining bubbly areas over time :wink:
  • annepage
    Options
    Not to sound rude, but it's good to hear I'm not the only one..
    I'm quite happy with my body now. Not so long ago I never thought I would say this!
    But. Butt, I mean the bottom part of it is saggy with fat at the bottom. My thighs are quite shapely but the top part is still... too much. My love handles are gone! YAY! But, the middle of my tummy where my babies bumped it is quite wobbly still. With a pudding padding I would rather be without.

But the main part is that I've started changing my body to the better and it's a million times better than before. I'll take that. And work towards fixing at least some of the remaining bubbly areas over time :wink:

Rude never would've crossed my mind. Seriously, it is comforting to know and we are all in this together (as corny as that may sound). I went clothes shopping earlier this week and that was the first time I ever noticed my chest bones. An alarm kind of went off, I suppose from the unhealthy images that I've seen on the web in the past. But, in doing a quick check on how I'm treating my body and seeing the fat in other places, I realize the alarm isn't something to be too worried about. I've got to say though, seeing bone like that is going to take some getting used to.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I've got to say though, seeing bone like that is going to take some getting used to.

Totally. Took me a couple of months to get used to my "new chest", and I've only just recently stopped poking my hip bones every five minutes. It's weird to see/feel them for the first time in my adult life! But, like you, I know that I'm super-healthy and fit right now and treating my body really well :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Can totally relate! My waist is slender, my ribs kind of poke out a bit, but my hips, thighs and bum are still looking lumpy and fatty. Ugh! When I feel the fat, it feels.....odd. Like squishy and kind of like it's not connected to anything.....if that makes sense. I just want them to tone up and lean out! I mean, my butt used to be wide and flat. It's perked up a little, but it's still wide and full of cellulite. I can feel a bit of muscle on my thighs, but there's a still a significant amount of fat on them too. I do squats and HIIT cardio, as well as pilates that target the legs and bum, so hopefully that will start helping.
  • CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have bones sticking out--But still can grab a handful of fat/loose skin on my lower back. It's irritating.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have bones sticking out--But still can grab a handful of fat/loose skin on my lower back. It's irritating.

This is also my problem area lately. The backside muffin top. I guess its supposed to be a hip but i hates it
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

If I could just liposuction the cellulite out of my thighs & tummy and reassign it to my chest... :tongue:
  • cmeiron
    Options

This is also my problem area lately. The backside muffin top. I guess its supposed to be a hip but i hates it

AAAAHHH, I hate this, me too!!!
  • annepage
    Options

If I could just liposuction the cellulite out of my thighs & tummy and reassign it to my chest... :tongue:

Yeah, I went down a circumference size so far-which I'm not disappointed about. I always thought the body lost weight more uniformly and that everything would kind of shrink in proportion to other fatty parts. Guess not. I've always heard the "first place you gained is the last place you lost" mantra though.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    My abs always pop out but kidney fat is that last to go. Its not till im like 6-7%bf that the christmas tree comes out. Its very bizarre but I understand theres a stronger genetic affinity for WHERE you store fat than if you'll be fat, and IF YOULL BE Fat is like 98%. So go figure.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yup, it sucks!

I have skinny arms, skinny legs, no chest, and a big 'ole tummy. lol. I think all 20 of the pounds that I still need to lose are sitting on my torso. :(