Confused here

Options
Hi all,

Love love love this site! :) but I'm confused my daily intake is to be 1200 but after posting my 45 min bike ride the amount increases 16 something or other.....basically saying great job, here's some more food to eat? If I'm to have 1200 a day why suggest I eat more if I'm trying to loose weight ???

Replies

• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This was posted recently and is worth a read. 1200 is an unreasonable number.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/908271-when-is-1200-calories-appropriate-hint-almost-never
  • martintanz
    Options
    The body needs fuel, especially if you are exercising. The idea is to eat at a modest deficit over a long period of time. Eat too little and your metabolism will slow down.
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    When you add exercise calories it increases your net calories....
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Love love love this site! :) but I'm confused my daily intake is to be 1200 but after posting my 45 min bike ride the amount increases 16 something or other.....basically saying great job, here's some more food to eat? If I'm to have 1200 a day why suggest I eat more if I'm trying to loose weight ???

When you exercise, MFP adds the calories you burned off from your exercise onto your daily total. So instead of having 1200 calories a day, you now have 1600 or whatever the number is calories to consume.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    The 1200 already includes the deficit needed to lose weight. If you do not eat those extra calories you will not be getting enough nutrition. Your NET calories will be like 800 or so.....which is LOW. Your NET should be 1200.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    MFP has already created a deficit that you need to lose weight. Without eating back the exercise calories, you're creating a really big deficit that isn't healthy. Your body needs the fuel to recover from the workout.
    Great job on the bike ride, now enjoy some extra food!!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You daily total is your "net" calories - if you burn off some by exercising - you get to eat those back so that your net total is still 1200.

However suggest you read the following:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

read me--> :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum calories your body requires to function. A typical diet for a person to maintain the weight they are at is apx 2000. We create a calorie deficit to lose weight. When a person exercises we burn calories but the added calories allow us to refuel the body of what is lost. I typically do not eat all the calories that are given back to me but I do eat at least 1/2 and most importantly if my deficit has brought me under 1200 calories I eat enough food to bring me to that! i.e. you eat 1450 calories a day, you have gone to the gym and burned 400 calories...that brings you to 1050 calories consumed for the day. You're body can't function on that few calories so at least consume another 150-250 calories =) hope this helps
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    if you goal is 1200 for your daily fuel you burn up 200 that leaves you with having gotten only 1000 calories for daily fuel. so you need to replace those 200 burned calories with 200 calories in food to maintain the level of 1200 calories of fuel for daily living.

1200-200=1000
    1000 is less than your needs (1200)
    so eat 200 to be back at 1200 fuel units.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    In this scenario, you should be eating your exercise calories back.
  • dbrant12
    dbrant12 Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, all of you are awesome, thank you @ everyone!!! :) @ Banks.....I went to the fat2fitratio site and it was very helpful, I have a better understanding of why it is best to eat the workout credit calories. I can say that I did get my BMI & BMR calculated and I do have a caloric Increase but how am I to reach that if I'm not hungry?
    Also, should I not weigh myself every day.? :huh:
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Wow, all of you are awesome, thank you @ everyone!!! :) @ Banks.....I went to the fat2fitratio site and it was very helpful, I have a better understanding of why it is best to eat the workout credit calories. I can say that I did get my BMI & BMR calculated and I do have a caloric Increase but how am I to reach that if I'm not hungry?
    Also, should I not weigh myself every day.? :huh:

Getting used to eating more can be hard. Small, high-calorie snacks of things like peanuts or dried fruits can help. Smoothies can also help, since because they're liquid they don't feel like you're eating. I used to make a smoothie out of milk, half a banana, and two tbsp of peanut butter, which is fairly calorie-dense. But basically it's a matter of slowly increasing how much you eat in a day, so you're used to eating more.
  • dbrant12
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you everyone for the in-site, I'm loving the feedback I finally have solid recommendation and direction to help guide me on my new journey. I understand more but, at the end of my after I have logged my last snack and I still have a caloric balance of 533 to go, I'm full, what am I to do? I work nights so my day begins at 10am and ends @ 12am and I'm in bed by 2am and the last thing I want to do is eat before bed.
  • dbrant12
    Options
    Everything I'm reading IS starting to make sense now thanks for all the info n links. :happy: