Pilates

Options
I've read that Pilates is good for toning the body. Does anyone here do it? Can you tell me more, please?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Both of his books are available still, I recommend them so that you can learn all about from the source. Well as close to it as possible, I assume his cat is dead.
  • keepingm0tivated
    Options
    Pilates is amazing because it helps with strength and flexibility. Pilates is focused on muscle control and learning to use muscles that we wouldn't normally use and it improves balance, :flowerforyou:
  • Bus2012
    Bus2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When done correctly Pilates is a killer, very good for core stability. I have a bad back and use pilates to help strengthen the muscles.
  • katherinelangley
    Options
    I'm a massive fan! I've found it's really improved my core strength, particularly abdominals/obliques. Plus my back is a lot stronger!
  • moby_chick
    moby_chick Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies everyone. I think at my age (59), it would be good for me. I get a fair bit of cardiovascular exercise through daily activities, but pilates sounds good for strengthening the bones and keeping the joints supple. Thanks. :)
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Pilates for 2 months, and I *love* it. It has really helped my core strength, posture, balance and weight loss. I am 49 and morbidly obese. I take it at a college campus rec center, and my instructor is great-- she always makes sure she gives me modifications that will work for me and she is very supportive. And each week I am able to do a little more and a little more.
  • NataliaCT
    Options
    Pilates is amazing. It is not just a workout to lose wight but can be a very effective treatment for those who have low back pain. I've been working as a pilates instructor for over 4 years and I love every single day of my work!
    32013 Posts: 4
    Options
    The Pilates classes I take are called Lagree fitness; the machine is called a megaformer. It's based on the original reformer and Pilates workouts.
    I love, love, love these classes. I found a deal on Groupon for five classes, then purchased an unlimited month so I could determine which of the instructors I like best; I really like all of them. The workouts make me feel strong and it's well worth the $$ spent. I've been going three times a week, I'm going to back it up to twice a week now that I'm familiar with the studio/instructors and the workout.
    I'm 52 years old, it's an awesome workout for our age group (even though I am ALWAYS the oldest person in class).
    Can't recommend it enough ... enjoy!
    http://www.lagreefitness.com/
  • digita6
    digita6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I second this. After years of weight lifting and swim-bike-run, and yoga, I think I finally found an ultimate all-around workout in Pilates Plus (Lagree method). It is more intense than a normal pilates class, and you work to muscle failure, but wow does it make a difference. I still ride my bike a lot, but doing this twice a week has paid huge dividends.
  • maybemarina
    maybemarina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am so excited I found Lagree Pilates! I have only taken 2 classes so far but I'm already hooked, and I am very excited to see results - hopefully after a month I'll see some. Going 2x a week should be good.
  • nitadances
    nitadances Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pilates does it all. I love it. I like to alternate days between Pilates and yoga.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I do a Stott Pilates core workout, it is great.
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Rest In Plank
  • tbabich
    tbabich Posts: 1
    Options
    I do Lagree Pilates three times a week and run 5-7 miles twice a week. I keep my net calories between 1200-1400 NET a day (I eat the calories back when I work out) and I keep gaining lbs. I read on Lagree website that I should be burning between 500-700 calories for one 50 minute/session but that doesn't seem right. I'm starting to think that the 500 cal. for doing a session of Lagree Pilates is not accurate. Does anyone know how many calories one should be burning? I think I might be miscalculating my net calories.
  • winniebago
    winniebago Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Also a fan of Pilates - feel great afterwards and it helps straighten out the knots that other exercises put in place. I'm frustrated that I can't log a Pilates workout on MFP, though - it just doesn't seem to recognise it!
  • mblestinaz
    mblestinaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. I looked under Strength exercises b/c that's really where it seems to fit. But when I searched under cardiovascular, Pilates was there. It says I burned 204 calories for 60 minutes.