How can I get more fruit and veg in my diet?

Options

Replies

• shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's not the best best way.... Natural is always better but if you cannot eat enough of veggies....
    A quick and easy way is with vegetable supplements like VEGEGREENS etc...

http://progressivenutritional.com/vegegreens/

It will help.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I combat this issue simply by packing fruit/veg for snacks instead of other more grain-based options. With every dinner I try and include a steamed side of broccoli, cauliflower, or Brussels sprouts (what my honey will eat)

I enjoy snacking on:

blueberries
    strawberries
    raspberries
    carrots with hummus (I get the weirdest looks with this one)
    Jicama
    celery
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try having veggies with eggs in the morning. You can make a scramble, omlet or bake an egg, veggie, cheese quiche ahead of time and then heat it up each morning. I eat 7 - 9 cups of veggies every day and 2 servings of fruit.

My breakfast this AM is an omlet with 2 cups of veggies (tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms) and 1/4 cup shredded cheese.

Feel free to friend me if you want some further support on getting your veggies.
  • ashvicfran
    ashvicfran Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are the best way! try a green smoothie to up your veg intake, you can google tons of different ideas. Dont be intimidated by the word "green" they taste delish!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I started keeping fruit and veggies on hand, and making a point of eating them. I will have fruit or raw veggies as a snack or as part of a meal. You can also add veggies to many things you normally make. Grate carrots, zucchini, or other veggies and put it in meatloaf. You can do the same with muffins or grate or cut up fruit and add to muffins, pancakes, etc. I find that if I do that my husband will eat veggies he doesn't normally like--just about all veggies except peas, corn, and green beans! Add fruit to oatmeal, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. I don't usually make smoothies, I find for me if I eat the whole fruit I stay fuller longer than if I drink them. You could add carrots to your smoothies as a way of adding veggies to your diet.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meaningful99
    Options
    It helps to get in the habit of making half your dinner plate vegetables. One easy thing is to toss whatever vegetables with some olive oil and then roast them in a hot oven for about 20 minutes while you prepare everything else. Also, like others said, soups are a good way to eat a lot of vegetables in one serving.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Look online and try to be creative. I need to eat more fruit as well. Lately I have been cutting up a bunch of cauliflower, brocolli, and carrots. Then I drizzle olive oil and seasonings on them and put them in the oven for a while. I take them out and put a tiny bit of shredded cheese on them and throw them back in the oven for a while. Num Num!! Helps me really enjoy and look forward to my vegetables. I also juice vegetables every morning. The mean green. I need to start eating more fruit though. A few weeks ago I would cut up a banannna and strawberries and mix them together and drizzle some fresh honey on them. That was good! Try to be creative and eventually you will look forward to eating your veggies and fruits :) Good Luck!
  • Dezmodus
    Dezmodus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    we keep a veggie tray in the fridge like we're going to have a party. it's right there when we reach for something less "responsible"
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi all, just started out on my weight loss journey but already I need some advice. Most mornings I make smoothies which gets a few portions of fruit in but I never seem to get enough veg or fruit in the rest of the day. I know it's probably as easy as people saying "just eat more veg" but need some tips if possible. Cheers :-)

SMOOTHIES!!!
    put all your veggies in mix with fruit for flavor... as you get used to making them, add stuff like flax or chia seeds... I add yogurt and protien powders to mine as well...
    tons of recipes on the web.
    a decent blender will do the trick as well.....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    .....I know it's probably as easy as people saying "just eat more veg" but need some tips if possible. Cheers :-)

Tip 1. Just eat more fruits
    Tip 2. Just eat more veggies.
    Tip 3. Repeat tips 1 & 2
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's a few things I've tried over the years;

If you like having something crunchy (chips, crackers) with your sandwich, substitute veggies. Baby carrots, snow peas (pea pods), celery, etc. It's a good sub because they're still finger food and are crunchy. If you need a little extra flavor, try some hummus or maybe a low fat dip. Just be careful of your portion control on the dips.

For dinner, have 2 servings (1 cup instead of 1/2 cup) of veg as a side and cut down on the starch (potato/rice) side. Same idea if you're making a casserole, cut down on the rice/pasta/potato and meat and use extra veg to make up the difference so it's still filling. If the recipe calls for 1 cup of broccoli, use 2 cups. If it calls for 1/2 cup of bell pepper, use a whole bell pepper, if not 2 of them. You get the idea..

Bring two fruits with you every day. I always have one banana a day and the second fruit is either strawberries, grapes, an orange or an apple.

p.s. You could also google for vegetarian dishes.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    you can add them to everything, eat more soups or snack them
    but really the easier way to get them in is with your main meals

my lunch today:
    baked chicken breast, potato, 3 servings of broccoli (boiled broccoli with a bit of salt) 1 apple (big one so also 3 servings)
    Boring and simple, but easier then adding half of a serving to everything you eat.

I had my broccoli already so I can forget about veggies for the day.

Warning: some veggies are difficult to eat in big amounts fe I could not have 3 servings of raw carrots at once, I can have 3 servings of boiled carrots though
  • CuddlyIrish
    CuddlyIrish Posts: 149
    Options
    .....I know it's probably as easy as people saying "just eat more veg" but need some tips if possible. Cheers :-)

Tip 1. Just eat more fruits
    Tip 2. Just eat more veggies.
    Tip 3. Repeat tips 1 & 2

No need to be a smart *kitten*!!!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    You open up the hanger and let the airplane in. :flowerforyou:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You can add vegetables to your smoothies and not even taste it.

For some great smoothie ideas, check out this facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.414986518575929.97466.282449018496347&type=3
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can make fruit and veggie smoothies. I drink a smoothie every morning (except weekends, that's bacon and eggs :wink: ). I use frozen fruit (strawberries, peaches, mango, pineapple...etc), avocado and spinach. You could also add kale, celery, parsley, mint...
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Get a basket. Fill it with fruit and/or snack veggies. Keep it next to the door where you leave to get in your car. Grab 2 - 4 pieces and take them with you each and everyday! I prefer to stop at the fresh fruit stand in the train station on my way in to work. But that may not be as convenient for you. If you put a little thought into it, a simple solution should present itself. Then work at it for a few weeks, and it will hopefully become habitual. Good luck!
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is when I get home from the grocery store, I wash and cut up everything. I'm more likely to just grab and snack on fruits and vegetables this way. If I have to do the work when I'm hungry, I'm more likely to just grab something from the cupboard.

I decided a year ago to go vegetarian for a month. I did a lot of research and found a lot of great recipes. After doing that, I ended up incorporating a lot more vegetarian meals into my diet because I found so many great-tasting ones and the habits just transferred over. Why not make a commitment with yourself like "I'll eat vegetarian meals every day at lunch" or "I'll do meatless dinners" twice a week. You'll learn a lot of ways that you can sneak veggies into meals and probably find more that you enjoy!
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am usually very good about getting in lots of vegetables during the day, but just this year I made a commitment to always make at least 2 types of vegetables with dinner. This not only makes me eat less of the other stuff, but it also introduces my 2 kids to lots more veggies and they always have an option if they don't like one type. Also, my pre-dinner snack is always raw veg, or else I'd eat while cooking! :-) Good Luck.