Not that I'm complaining...

Options
Does anyone else lose faster than MFP says you will? You know when you complete your food diary for the day and it tells you that if every day were like today you would weigh X amount in 5 weeks? I seem to be losing faster than that ever says, not that I'm complaining. Just curious why it's off by so much and if it's like that for anyone else.

Replies

• KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes! I know, I was thinking the same thing :) I loose pretty rapidly and have since I started my weight loss last year... but I just joined this site a few days ago, so maybe it's because it doesn't have all of my stats?
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Early on I lost faster than it suggested. As I got closer to my goal weight it became slower than they suggest. It all depends on your body.

Great Job.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wow. I sure wish I had that problem!!! I have yet to lose as it says I will in 5 weeks. Heading to the Doctor's office tomorrow to discuss bloodwork that could possibly straighten out that little issue though. Congrats to all of you though!!!!
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wow. I sure wish I had that problem!!! I have yet to lose as it says I will in 5 weeks. Heading to the Doctor's office tomorrow to discuss bloodwork that could possibly straighten out that little issue though. Congrats to all of you though!!!!

Well I hope you get some answers. I just found out about 2 months or so ago that my thyroid function is low and was put on meds. I'm finally starting to see some progress on the weight loss now. I've not been doing this for 5 weeks yet but the weights it gives me I'm so close to I feel like if I keep up the pace I'm at or even close to it I'll hit that weight long before 5 weeks! Maybe it is just because I'm at the beginning, and maybe it will flip once I'm closer to my goal like Chenoachem said happened to her.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thyroid stuff... do they check you periodically once you are on medication??? I am NOT on medication but I am going to be rechecked again in 2 months to see if I have evened out. Basically I lost a significant amount of weight prior to joining this site (then hit a plateau) for approx 3-4 weeks (stubborn last 20 lbs). I was really tired in the evenings. Went to see my doctor. From all the weight loss I threw myself into hyperthyroidism (too my in my blood stream) which obviously will work in my favor for these last few pounds...

I had no idea that rapid weight loss could do that to your thyroid...so take it from me, do it slow, if you can. But def see your doctor if your thyroid is preventing you from loosing weight too. Our bodies are such funny/finicky things :)
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You must be losing the pounds I'm suppose to be losing according to MFP. :)
  • sroseber
    Options
    Thyroid stuff... do they check you periodically once you are on medication???

Yeah, my levels were high but not super high so my dr. put me on a low dose and then checked me a month later to see if it was doing enough and it seems to be doing good at that level of medication. Not sure how often they'll check it. She's pretty good about "let me know how you are feeling". Since my levels weren't super high and the meds seem to be working I think she'll check me annually unless I have any problems between now and then. I think most people (especially if their levels are super high or they have trouble keeping it in check) see their dr. more often.

I didn't know weight loss (or possibly gain) could cause a thyroid problem. I always thought the thyroid problem caused the weight loss/gain. How much did you lose and how fast?
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I definitely did for the 1st couple months. Now it's slowing down quite a bit. Enjoy it while you can! :laugh:
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate... I've been at MFP since January and I've averaged about 1lb/week weightloss on an average deficit of around 0.8lb/week.

I suspect it's because I've listed myself as sedentary (adding all official exercise for exercise cals) and I'm more active than that during normal day-to-day activities :smile:
  • sroseber
    Options
    Yes, I can relate... I've been at MFP since January and I've averaged about 1lb/week weightloss on an average deficit of around 0.8lb/week.

I suspect it's because I've listed myself as sedentary (adding all official exercise for exercise cals) and I'm more active than that during normal day-to-day activities :smile:

See, that's what I was wondering. I had mine set at sedentary too because next to it in parenthesis it said desk job, and I have a desk job so I selected that one. But I'm also a mom with 2 little ones and a dog that I am constantly doing stuff with or chasing or whatever once I get home in the evenings and other than dinner I don't usually sit down until they go to bed and then it's only an hour or 2 until I go to bed and usually that hour or two isn't constant sitting. I'm usually trying to catch up the stuff I couldn't do when they were running around under my feet! lol! I think I changed it to lightly active the other day so we'll see what happens with that. I don't add normal day to day activity as exercise only additional stuff that I at least partially do for the exercise (walking the dog, gardening, golfing, and maybe even house cleaning or cooking if it's for a long period of time.) If things start to flip the other way I'll probably change it back! I'd feel better knowing I'm doing better than it says than worse! lol!
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Well, my thyroid is just fine. But, the Dr thinks I have PCOS. I have to go to an endocrinologist and start the process over. It's also difficult to tell if there is something wrong with me, or all of the weight issues are side effects of the 15+ years of RA meds. That has been THE biggest problem so far. My PCP and rheumatologist have for years been saying the weight is related to RA, but in order to control my RA, I should control my weight. HUH?? It's a viscious circle, but since I am older now and presenting these issues that I've long had, the doctors are FINALLY starting to take me seriously.

And I agree with what someone said earlier along the lines of I am finding all those pounds you've been losing so quickly!!!
  • sroseber
    Options
    Well, my thyroid is just fine. But, the Dr thinks I have PCOS. I have to go to an endocrinologist and start the process over. It's also difficult to tell if there is something wrong with me, or all of the weight issues are side effects of the 15+ years of RA meds. That has been THE biggest problem so far. My PCP and rheumatologist have for years been saying the weight is related to RA, but in order to control my RA, I should control my weight. HUH?? It's a viscious circle, but since I am older now and presenting these issues that I've long had, the doctors are FINALLY starting to take me seriously.

And I agree with what someone said earlier along the lines of I am finding all those pounds you've been losing so quickly!!!

Glad there's nothing wrong with your thyroid but sorry it's been such a long ordeal to get the drs. to take you seriously! I hate when drs. think they know how we feel and know our bodies better than we do. We only live in them every day! I had thyroid problems after my 2nd daughter was born and my OBGYN prescribed meds. It turned out to be a temporary issue due to having given birth but when I started feeling like that again I went to an endo and apparently the scale they go by vs. what OBGYNs go by is different. My levels were they highest they'd ever been but not high enough by the endo's scale to treat but I was so exhausted and had such brain fog (among other symptoms) that I could barely function day to day. The endo wouldn't treat me so I called my OBGYN and she agreed that my levels were high enough to treat and prescribed meds. The fact that I was barely functioning day to day meant nothing to the endo. I hope you have wonderful drs. that will listen to you (finally). Good luck, it's so frustrating when you don't know if health issues are causing the weight issues or vise versa. Hope you get everything worked out and feel better soon!