Breakfast help!

Options
I don't mind eating breakfast, its just that I can't find anything that I really enjoy, so I end up just skipping it instead. I know this isn't good and I am trying to find something. I do really enjoy typical breakfast food, so that doesn't help either. Eggs I can't do because they make me sick to my stomach, so I am trying to figure something out that I can be excited about, so that I will actually want to eat. I would appreciate any ideas you guys have. Thank you.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't mind eating breakfast, its just that I can't find anything that I really enjoy, so I end up just skipping it instead. I know this isn't good and I am trying to find something. I do really enjoy typical breakfast food, so that doesn't help either. Eggs I can't do because they make me sick to my stomach, so I am trying to figure something out that I can be excited about, so that I will actually want to eat. I would appreciate any ideas you guys have. Thank you.

You don't have to eat breakfast unless you become starving and overcompensate later in the day because of it. I'm not a big breakfast 'food' person, though I don't mind eggs. I have found if I eat breakfast I'm hungry all day long. I delay it till lunch time and I'm fine. If I'm really hungry I do have greek yogurt, canadian bacon, chicken breast, I've even had pizza for 'breakfast'. You don't have to eat breakfast foods, eat whatever you want.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It's actually healthier to skip breakfast. Eating breakfast lowers your testosterone (which slows muscle growth) and lowers your adrenaline (making you feel tired/groggy a few hours later). If you're hungry you can eat, but it's better to skip it.
  • soccerchick3339
    soccerchick3339 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat a whole lot for breakfast. Maybe a healthy granola bar or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of pineapple. I normally try to treat it as a snack and keep it under 200 calories.
  • Smorsb
    Smorsb Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it is best to eat breakfast. You don't necessarily need to eat breakfast foods. You can have anything. Then balance small meals throughout the day. You will not be hungry.
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read indicates breakfast is a good thing. Some ideas for a quick easy breakfast is anything you have leftover. Yogurt is my go to in the morning with some fruit or nuts tossed in or for that matter a banana with nut butter. I try to find a carb protein combo.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. If you can "hold out" then that's fine, but don't wait so long you get really hungry, that could end up lasting all day. Can you do egg whites? How about egg substitute? My go-to breakfast is egg whites on a whole wheat English muffin with a slice of lowfat cheese. My healthier version of a fast food breakfast sandwich. I also eat oatmeal mixed with egg whites and/or Greek yogurt and fruit. If you can't do anything remotely eggy, you could do the English muffin (or toast or wrap or whatever) with cheese & a turkey sausage patty, pre-cooked bacon or a vegetarian "sausage" patty. Sometimes I'll add those to my eggs and cheese anyway.

If non of that appeals wo you, what do you like? You don't ahve to eat traditional breakfast foods. Do you like chicken salad? Make a batch and eat that. Some Greek yogurt and fruit, a meat and veggie stir-fry, a PB&J sandwich, anything you fancy, really.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read indicates breakfast is a good thing. Some ideas for a quick easy breakfast is anything you have leftover. Yogurt is my go to in the morning with some fruit or nuts tossed in or for that matter a banana with nut butter. I try to find a carb protein combo.
    Please link me to at least one peer reviewed journal proving that breakfast is beneficial. I can link you to dozens to prove the opposite.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    It's actually healthier to skip breakfast. Eating breakfast lowers your testosterone (which slows muscle growth) and lowers your adrenaline (making you feel tired/groggy a few hours later). If you're hungry you can eat, but it's better to skip it.
    Breakfast lowers your testosterone? LMFAO! @ you... that is all
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not comulosry to eat it if you dont want to - how does skipping it affect your eating habits later in teh day?

You can eat whatever you like for breakfast - a ham sandwich, piece of toast, yoghurt, banana, cottage cheese, smoked salmon, last night's pizza, cereal bar, smoothie.....
  • kristanb05
    Options
    I've found that a blueberry/avocado smoothie is a great breakfast. I also like the baked oatmeal muffins I've seen on pinterest lately. We add walnuts and unsweetened dried cranberries.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Find foods you really DO enjoy and have them for breakfast.

I love breakfast foods too but prefer them at noon or night. I tend to be a breakfast skipper but when I do eat breakfast I might have a beautiful piece of salmon w/ brown rice or left over beef filet from the night before or even bean soup. Doesn't matter what you eat as long as you enjoy it. Make your own rules within the guidelines of your allotted calories.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast". A BLT or grilled cheese sandwich made with wholesome ingredients and a side of fruit is just as quick as bowl of porridge or a egg scramble. As long as it fits in your schedule and diet parameters you can eat it for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast". A BLT or grilled cheese sandwich made with wholesome ingredients and a side of fruit is just as quick as bowl of porridge or a egg scramble. As long as it fits in your schedule and diet parameters you can eat it for breakfast (or lunch or dinner)!

Ditto. :bigsmile:

Everyone is different. One size doesn't fit all.
    Most days I have a protein shake for breakfast. Others I have sausage eggs and cheese.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want for breakfast, it doesn't have to be breakfast foods. In the past I would eat left over dinner from the night before, some thought that was weird but whatever. I am not a big fan of cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt and sometimes I'm too lazy to make eggs.
  • Conniekui
    Conniekui Posts: 24
    Options
    Try planing your breakfast meals on your grocery list. It helps because you will always have something. I usually have a variety; weetabix, half a cup of whole milk, and a fruit. Scrambled egg with spinach and red pepper. Greek yoghurt with fresh berries. Toast with peanut butter or avocado. Microwaved apple(2 minutes) with sprinkled cinnamon. Sometimes just a banana and milk. If there is left over grilled chicken I make a wrap and add fresh peppers and spinach.

Google healthy breakfast ideas and within the calories you want. Make it fun with variety so it's not boring.
  • Results4achange
    Options
    Have you considered a green smoothie? I too use to skip but since the smotthie habit, I have tons more energy and I have not binged in the pm. Give it a try Blend, one cup water, handful of spiniach, fozen banana and any other fruit you have laying around. I add an apple, pinapples and stawberries in mine. YUM:) I wash, peel and cut my fresh fruit and then freeze them ahead of time. This works great with the fruit that are near spoiling.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, a few almonds and apple. It has your fats, proteins and good carbs. And as for people saying there are studies that breakfast is not necessary, well, I am sure there are. There are studies that show it is a good idea to eat breakfast as well. My take away from this is if you have evidence on both sides, there is not a strong enough correlation one way or the other to prove or disprove it is good or bad. For instance, smoking has very strong correlations to cancer and cardio vascular disease. Eating or not eating breakfast doesn't have a strong correlation with really any major health parameter. There really are no heavy smokers in good health (or drinkers) but there are really fit people that both do and don't eat breakfast.

I like breakfast. I have to keep easy stuff to fix which is why I love cottage cheese and yogurt. The protein will help you stay satisfied through the morning too. if I don't eat breakfast then all kinds of dangerous lunch options start to sound really tempting.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Scrambled egg with spinach and red pepper. Greek yoghurt with fresh berries. Toast with peanut butter or avocado. Microwaved apple(2 minutes) with sprinkled cinnamon. Sometimes just a banana and milk. If there is left over grilled chicken I make a wrap and add fresh peppers and spinach.

Dude, these are great ideas. I am going to try the micro'ed apple idea. I am now a lot hungrier than I was 30 seconds ago.
  • keya729
    keya729 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    How about oatmeal with different berries and fruits added. I personally make myself eat breakfast because I notice if I don't I will eat all day literally.
  • mjoybrooks
    Options
    I like Thomas 100 Calorie English muffins with 1 TBL of whipped Peanut Butter. 175 Calories, or if using 2 TBL 250. I love oatmeal, but have been reading a lot about how some people have reactions to it that hinder weight loss. I have cut back on my oatmeal eating. I also buy the big container of peeled grapefruit in low sugar juice. What about just a banana 90 cal, or yoplait low fat yogurt for 80 calories?

26997244.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter