When is 1200 calories appropriate? (hint: almost never)

Options

Replies

• MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I tried the eating 1200 calories thing for a couple of months, plus doing Insanity 6 days a week. Did I lose weight? Hell yeah, I lost it quickly too, 14 lbs in 6 weeks! Was I hungry? You bet, I was. Somedays not at all, somedays I felt famished. Was I getting stronger? Absolutely not, I could still barely do pushups by the time I had to stop (in fact, my endurance had peaked and began to decrease). Yep, I had to stop, because I got sick. I got sick for 6 weeks straight, one thing after another, cold, flu, respiratory infection, bronchitis, etc etc. I would feel better for a couple of days, try to get back onto my workouts and I didn't have the energy. Where I was able to sort of make it through before, I couldn't make it 10 minutes through the warm up anymore, then I would get sick again. I could no longer eat the 1200 cals I had been eating because I just didn't care to track it any more. I was just trying to stop being sick. So I stopped tracking and began eating again without regard to tracking. I gained all of the weight back, plus a couple of extra, within a month. I had worn myself out, literally, made myself sick. I fully believe eating so little and over training had caused my immune system to hate me.

Fast forward a few months and I decided to try again and I did begin with the 1200 again, because hey, it worked before!! But I dreaded, absolutely dreaded, having to restrict my calories so much. Then I began reading what others were saying in the forums about not having to restrict myself to 1200 calories. I began experimenting with the calculators, asking questions, getting educated on what TDEE meant, and I began lifting weights again, and then began learning what "heavy" meant for lifting. I began to understand that I don't have to lose weight that fast and I don't have to starve myself, I can make a lifestyle change where I can enjoy eating out with friends, drinking wine and I don't have to do any cardio (I hate cardio!) but I can lift weights, which I love. My progress is slower than before, but I love the way my body looks more now than when I had lost the weight in 2011.

And I am only a few lbs off from where I was then, but I'm doing it the smart and fun way instead of blindly accepting thinking that I should be miserable to lose weight. Plus, the lbs don't bother me, I really don't worry about them so much, its the fit of my clothes and the way my husband and others notice how much better I look.

tl;dr - I ate too little, over trained, got sick, gained it back, am older and wiser now and understand it doesn't have to be that way.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I know i need to increase my calorie intake but to be honest, Im scared ****less.

I have been at 1200 for over a year. I lost about 40 lbs in the first 7 months ish but I have not lost anything since august. The fact that I am maintaining at 1200 is clearly a problem. Im scared to increase because I have tried this before and gained weight. I think ill eat at 1300 for the next two weeks and take it from there. I honestly think a gradual approach is the way to go.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Messages are welcome
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I'm tired of being made out to be an "eat more bully" for sharing what has worked brilliantly for me.

Do you recognize that "eat more bullying" happens? On my home page, in a conversation with friends, a lady just revealed that she keeps her diary closed because otherwise she is inundated with criticism for eating too little. Do you know anybody doing TDEE-20% who is afraid to share that information?

I have not seen a thread about that system that has low calories eaters constantly sticking their heads in to make ****ty, snarky, insulting comments. It is guaranteed for us.

I really do think the OP made it out like the number of people who can thrive at 1200 is so vanishingly small you should assume you are not one of them. But let's assume I am wrong. Let's assume HotrodsGirl is right and I just have crap reading comprehension.

Could you TDEE-20% people agree that there is a liiiiiiiiittttttttttttle bit of a hostile environment here for people who eat few calories and that is not very nice?
  • TheWalkingWahine
    Options
    Bump to check out suggested links later...thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Could you TDEE-20% people agree that there is a liiiiiiiiittttttttttttle bit of a hostile environment here for people who eat few calories and that is not very nice?

Getting constantly called a bully for advocating a moderate approach to weight loss is no fun, either. All I've ever suggested is using this site the way it was meant to be used, which is eating no less than 1200 plus exercise calories. Unless they are under doctor's supervision. I have some friends who've had WLS, and I fully support their choices. I'm really impressed and amazed at how meticulous they are about nutrition.

I've never given unsolicited comments about anyone's diary. I have had people make snarky comments about some of the foods in my diary, even when they fit perfectly within my goals, or making snide comments about "Yeah, let's see how well that works for you when you're 60." Well, derp... why would I be doing what will work for me when I'm 60 when I'm 40? Of course things will change as my body changes.

To be perfectly honest... I don't care about being considered nice. I care about giving good advice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know i need to increase my calorie intake but to be honest, Im scared ****less.

I have been at 1200 for over a year. I lost about 40 lbs in the first 7 months ish but I have not lost anything since august. The fact that I am maintaining at 1200 is clearly a problem. Im scared to increase because I have tried this before and gained weight. I think ill eat at 1300 for the next two weeks and take it from there. I honestly think a gradual approach is the way to go.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Messages are welcome

Nothing wrong with easing into it if that's your preference. It could take a little longer since you'll need to give each change a few weeks to see if it works. Your body won't adjust over night. Honestly, I think it's easier to break a plateau by upping calories and increasing the intensity of exercise at the same time. I'm not sure what you are doing now for exercise, but by upping the intensity you likely could jump your calories up 200-300 and still being losing again.
  • angievanhill
    angievanhill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing 1200 calories a day only because I make veggie/fruit smoothies for breakfast & lunch. I have a snack in between breakfast & lunch and then between lunch & dinner. For dinner I have sirloin or a chicken breast with veggies for sides. These things do not add up to be a high calorie content, but I am getting all my fruits & veggies in. I've never been big on drinking milk so I don't get much dairy. I guess if anyone has any suggestions for me that would be great, but I'm keeping my smoothies! I love love love them!!!!!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Being a 45 yr old male obviously gives you great knowledge of what works for all of the women of the world - well done sir.

f you are a sedentary 38-year old woman, who is 4'10" and weighs 115lbs and does not exercise, then your TDEE-20% would be approximately 1200 calories.

if you are:

more active than that...
    and/or younger than that...
    and/or male...
    and/or taller than that...
    and/or weigh more than that...
    and/or engage in cardiovascular exercise, then

you should almost certainly be eating MORE than 1200 calories per day.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    To be perfectly honest... I don't care about being considered nice. I care about giving good advice.

No, no, no. That is irrelevant. Do you care about being nice? That is the question. If you don't, our assumptions disagree and I'll walk away without feeling frustrated or anything. Just, oh well, we're not going to see eye to eye. But, if you do care about being a nice person, please read on.

First off, I don't really know anybody enough to say who is and isn't an "offender" or whatever. I don't really care to. I am not interested in pillorying anyone. I am just trying to get you guys to see what the overall environment here is like for people who are on low calorie diets.

Everybody has gotten snarky comments for all manner of different things. Hell, I have gotten rape threats for sharing my political views. It made me laugh because it was so inordinate. There are horrible people everywhere. You can't take everything to heart, especially on the internet.

That is different from being certain that discussing your diet will elicit snide comments. Getting a snide comment here and there isn't going to make you take your diary off of public. The criticism would have to be fairly constant to have that effect.
  • shellyenglersnyder
    shellyenglersnyder Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP so I think this is very helpful for us newbies. I'm going to calculate my numbers this weekend and see what I come up with. I notice I'm not so much hungry on 1200 net but I am having energy issues.

I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people that they can eat more than 1200 and still lose weight.
    So, THANK YOU!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I'm tired of being made out to be an "eat more bully" for sharing what has worked brilliantly for me.

Do you recognize that "eat more bullying" happens? On my home page, in a conversation with friends, a lady just revealed that she keeps her diary closed because otherwise she is inundated with criticism for eating too little. Do you know anybody doing TDEE-20% who is afraid to share that information?

***I have not seen a thread about that system that has low calories eaters constantly sticking their heads in to make ****ty, snarky, insulting comments. It is guaranteed for us.

** no, I have not seen a system where the low cal eaters berate the moderate defict people, and do you know why? There is nothing to berate them for, there is nothing about eating at a moderate deficit that can be considered unsafe or unhealthy. It is the perfect way for someone to lose weight. It is manageable and sustainable.

For SOME people, eating 1200 calorie is too much of a defict.
    For SOME people it can be unhealthy, and that is why it is better for ALL people to be armed with lot's of information so that they can decide for themselves.

It's good for them to see that they don't have to stick with the 1200 just because that's what MFP spat out, and that it isn't their only choice.

I originally ate 1200, I hated it - I have people on my friends list that ate at 1200, and became ill and lost their hair. 1200 is the MINIMUM recommended calories by health professionals, not the standard and that's why MFP spits it out.

I am sure that if MFP allowed a calorie goal of 800, we would actually be having this same conversation about 800 calories, as so many people just aim for the lowest they can, thinking that less is better and they will get better results, without researching whether it is actually right for them.
  • nokanjaijo
    Options
    ladyraven, do you see a difference between attempting to arm people with information and lobbing snarky, snide comments at them any time they share?

'Cuz I do. And I was quite explicitly talking about the latter.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people that they can eat more than 1200 and still lose weight.
    So, THANK YOU!

I agree with this completely! But I also think there is something wrong with telling people that they are doing it wrong if they are eating 1200.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

No, no, no. That is irrelevant. Do you care about being nice? That is the question. If you don't, our assumptions disagree and I'll walk away without feeling frustrated or anything. Just, oh well, we're not going to see eye to eye. But, if you do care about being a nice person, please read on.

I consider myself a compassionate, empathetic person, but I'm not going to sugarcoat things and blindly support someone if they're doing something stupid. Sometimes the "nicest" thing you can do will be considered mean. If I see my great-niece is about to touch a hot stove, I'm going to yell at her to get her to stop. Yelling might make her cry. It's not "nice." But it's better than watching her get burnt.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why 1200 calorie diet is bashed on mfp. My dietitian put me on a 1200 calorie diet- and tells me to be sure I eat my calories back when I exercise. I am not hungry, but I do have to make better food choices to stay within the range. Why not eat the amount of calories you think you should be eating and let others do the same?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    ** no, I have not seen a system where the low cal eaters berate the moderate defict people...

I have. I've seen a lot of threads where they say we're just "making excuses to eat more," that we're "just jealous" because we "lack discipline," "only exercising so they can stuff themselves with junk," etc. Plus being called a bully or food police.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

***I have not seen a thread about that system that has low calories eaters constantly sticking their heads in to make ****ty, snarky, insulting comments. It is guaranteed for us.

** no, I have not seen a system where the low cal eaters berate the moderate defict people, and do you know why? There is nothing to berate them for, there is nothing about eating at a moderate deficit that can be considered unsafe or unhealthy. It is the perfect way for someone to lose weight. It is manageable and sustainable.

For SOME people it can be unhealthy, and that is why it is better for ALL people to be armed with lot's of information so that they can decide for themselves.

It's good for them to see that they don't have to stick with the 1200 just because that's what MFP spat out, and that it isn't their only choice.

I originally ate 1200, I hated it - I have people on my friends list that ate at 1200, and became ill and lost their hair. 1200 is the MINIMUM recommended calories by health professionals, not the standard and that's why MFP spits it out.

I am sure that if MFP allowed a calorie goal of 800, we would actually be having this same conversation about 800 calories, as so many people just aim for the lowest they can, thinking that less is better and they will get better results, without researching whether it is actually right for them.

I agree with everything you just wrote. But the point is, that many people do not express their opinions with respect like you just did. The OP did not say

No, he said that 1200 cals was not appropriate for 99+% of the people on here. Then went on to spell out what he considered were the official guidelines of who should or shouldn't be eating at that level.

This poster has a long history of creating threads with 1200 calorie in the title, with the sole intention of mocking and insulting everyone who eats at that level. After being called out for his narrow blanket statements, then he will start backtracking and say that he didn't intend to say this or that, and we are just taking it all the wrong way.

And then when I said something he didn't like, he reports me for insulting him.

He later goes on to say that everyone who claims to be eating 1200 are lying and they are really only eating 800 and don't want to admit to it. Really? So he can call us all liars, and that is ok? So his real problem is not with people eating 1200, but those who eat at 800? If so, then direct your vitriol towards those who eat at 800!

Everyone on here who eats at 1200 and admits it is mocked and challenged and put in a position where they have to defend their reasons for eating at that level. And anyone who doesn't see that trend, is not reading the right threads.

And if MFP were to change the minimum to 1400, then we would still have all these threads putting down people who eat 1400 calories that 'choose' to put the minimum amount of calories in their bodies.

The OP was not directed at only those who are 'struggling' with eating 1200 calories. For anyone who is struggling with eating that low, who is starving, weak, losing their hair, have no energy to do anything, then common sense should tell them to eat more. If they have to have strangers on the internet to tell them that they don't HAVE to lose 2 pounds a week, then that is just sad, really. But perhaps those caring souls who are so concerned about them and their health, should respond only to threads created by those who are complaining that 1200 is not working for them, and not flame the threads where someone is sharing what is working for them.

As was mentioned by someone earlier, who said they were accused of being an 'eat more bully' simply because they shared what was working well for them. If I share what is working for me, then I get a bunch of people telling me that I am losing all my muscle, my hair will fall out and I am 'skinny fat'. And also accused of triggering EDs and promoting unhealthy diets.

There have been numerous well written, intelligent posts on here explaining what the problem is, but others refuse to listen as well. We are not upset about people giving options and providing useful advice. We are tired of the rude, narrow-minded, insults and snarky blanketed statements made by SOME of the people who insist that they know what is best for everyone else.

BTW- I have carefully perused my post to ensure that I have not said or done anything that is against Forum Rules, but if anyone feels the need to report me again. Then have fun with that.
  • bandladyjen
    bandladyjen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and have a question. My daily calorie goal is 1570 but when I add my exercise it gives me more calories. Am I suppose to eat all of those calories as well? I usually do not use them and try to stay at the 1570 but not sure if that is correct. I usually burn about 300 - 400 exercise calories a day 5 times a week. Please advise.