Beginner's Weightlifting

Options
I'm doing a 10-rep max workout three times a week, and I do cardio five times a week. I'm starting slowly because I'm just getting back into it after years of ignoring my fitness.
Question: How often should I move up the weight I'm lifting? It's all hard, and doesn't seem to be getting easier yet - should I wait until it gets easier?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs typically have you making a jump on a weekly basis, or changing rep ranges from week to week.

I'd say the simplest way to get started would be a 5x5 program like stronglifts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 10-rep max workout three times a week, and I do cardio five times a week. I'm starting slowly because I'm just getting back into it after years of ignoring my fitness.
    Question: How often should I move up the weight I'm lifting? It's all hard, and doesn't seem to be getting easier yet - should I wait until it gets easier?

If you can do 10 reps, bump up 5 lbs for the next workout. Within a week or two you will probably be able to do that weight for 10 reps. At that point add another 5 lbs. Keep progressing.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A lot of programs typically have you making a jump on a weekly basis, or changing rep ranges from week to week.

I'd say the simplest way to get started would be a 5x5 program like stronglifts.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

• j4zepedajj
    Options
    Personally I feel that Your body is the best gauge for telling you when to move up in weight... Also before you move up in weight.. perhaps try changing the exercise... I think that many times people make the mistake of thinking heavier is better... Its only better if your trying to bulk up. Most women dont want to bulk up but rather tone up and cut... That can be accomplished by using light to moderate weight and then changing the techniques used to workout..
    Instead of lifting and taking breaks while working one solitary exercise... try picking 3 excercises that you'll do.. one after the other... Do 1 push exercise (like a bench press) followed by 1 pull exercise (like seated rows) and the a set of 30 crunches or Lunges.... Do this at 3 or 4 sifferent stations... for a total of 12 - 15 exercises total.... You'll see some cutting provided your doing it right....
    Look at YouTube for ideas!!!

:)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

• mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I had a chat with a personal trainer yesterday, and I liked her advice about when to up weight, so I'll pass it along.

First, pick a goal for your reps. 10 reps sounds pretty good, especially for a beginner -- you want to focus more on form early on, and that's easier with slightly less weight and more reps.

Then, listen to your body. The last 2 reps should be moderately hard. If they are really easy -- if you could easily do 3 more reps, it's time to up the weight a bit.

That was her advice to me, and I'll be going with that. Take it for what it's worth.
    Best of luck!
  • tators19
    tators19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Everybody's were helpful, but your answer was more "beginner friendly" (for me!) I haven't lifted weights since I was in high school, and I'm in my mid-20's now. I've forgotten how to do everything, so any and all advice is welcome.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel that Your body is the best gauge for telling you when to move up in weight... Also before you move up in weight.. perhaps try changing the exercise... I think that many times people make the mistake of thinking heavier is better... Its only better if your trying to bulk up. Most women dont want to bulk up but rather tone up and cut... That can be accomplished by using light to moderate weight and then changing the techniques used to workout..

Eh... no. Whereas you do need to listen to your body and how you move the weight, often people are apprehensive and let their brain get in the way of increasing the weight. Following a program that tells you what to do helps beginners to get out of their own way of progress. I'm not saying to not listen to your body along the way, but following a structured program as a beginner is a very good thing. Point dos, lifting heavy does not make you bulk. Bulking is the result of overall VOLUME, diet, and even testosterone level. First let's define bulk. Bulking is not the appearance of muscle definition as you lose weight or bodyfat. Bulking is literally adding size (hypertrophy) to the muscle. Bulking does not have to result in showing muscle definition either. Google pictures of many (not all) powerlifters, not much definition but they are huge and strong as hell. With that being said, NOBODY is doing any significant bulking on a calorie deficit or even calorie maintenance diet. Bulking requires somewhat grossly excessive calories. Additionally, most women do not have enough testosterone to naturally bulk and would have to supplement with synthetic testosterone to increase their total testosterone to be closer to that of a man's.