Soft Foods

Options
wmphimu
wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
Long story, but I am on a "soft foods" diet for a couple of weeks due to a jaw issue. Other than soup and pasta, does anyone have ideas for healthy & tasty meals? I don't eat eggs (I know, eggs would be a perfect choice), which is complicating matters further. I know to steam my veggies (I usually eat all my veggies raw...this is going to be interesting...) - raw veggies are on my "do not eat" list. And I've switched to soft fruits. But I'm stumped for other foods. THANK YOU!!

Replies

• aa62579
    aa62579 Posts: 57
    Options
    Cottage cheese - it can be made sweet or savory.

Baked potato (white or sweet)
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the answer is clearly ice cream.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Baby food?

I've heard some of it can taste pretty good.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    soft food brain dump:

yogurt
    jello
    oatmeal
    bread
    bananas
    applesauce
    pudding
    deli meat
    tuna salad
    cheese
    legumes
    squash
    quinoa

You could probably roast or boil veggies too if you like to mix your cooking methods up - either way will make them soft
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, spaghetti, applesauce, eggs, soups, noodles, jello are the first things that come to mind. How about smoothies? I'm sure you're going to get some great ideas from others on this. Good luck!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    - oatmeal with cinnamon and chopped banana
    - mashed sweet potatoes, actually you can mash a lot of kinds of veg (carrots, parsnips, cauliflower, etc)
    - smoothies of all kinds (you can add spinach to help incorporate veg)
    - yoghurt with apple sauce
    - As for meats, how about meatballs? Depending on the recipe I don't find them too hard to chew.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Baby food?

I've heard some of it can taste pretty good.
    The fruit ones definitely are yummy, not sure how they are on the calories though.

Stick stuff in a blender? Whatever you want, really. I'm not too keen on blending meats but any vegetables should be good. Depending on how much water you use, it's either a sauce for potatoes or pasta or a soup.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, bananas, mashed veggies, polenta, yogurt, applesauce, beans
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your jaw!

Some healthy choices might be quinoa, polenta, yogurt, avocado, hummus, mashed sweet potatoes, sauteed spinach.

I make chicken tacos a lot in my slow cooker (4 breasts, one can of salsa, one package of low sodium mix, low for 8 hours) and the chicken is so moist and shredded by the end, it's really soft. You may be able to try something like that?

Good luck!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also, try protein shakes. You can either make them yourself or buy them.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    When my hubby had gum surgery, he had the same restrictions (hard on someone who prefers everything crunchy)

Oatmeal was a big help. Applesauce, yogurt, smoothies, soups, lentils, Hummus, shrimp is actually pretty easy to chew, tuna, (any fish really - you can flake it with your fork, and you can almost swallow with no chewing at all)

if you're craving a different flavor from your vegg - try roasting instead of steaming - makes them soft, and such yummy flavor!
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest greek yogurt for protein.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes would be my go to. And lots of crockpot meals. They'll soften up the meat enough to make it easy to chew. :flowerforyou:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Um, well if you're open to it, since this is temporary, you could go for protein shakes once in a while. Or even just milkshakes, really. Or smoothies. The blender is your friend! And if you do that, you can sneak in an egg white or two (the "preccoked", carton kind, anyway) in the shake/smoothie and you probably won,t even taste it :)

You can chop up chicken in such a way that you barely need to chew it, too. Flaked tuna isn't too hard to chew on, either.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I had this issue a few years ago.

I would steam a frozen tilapia filet over chicken broth, with some lemon juice.

Easy, healthy and delicious.
  • AbbieZabba
    AbbieZabba Posts: 110
    Options

With chocolate syrup!
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of really good ideas - will be going shopping tomorrow for sure (and raiding my daughter's stash of Greek yogurt until then...can you believe my 3 year old is on a yogurt kick - she eats 2-3 Chobani yogurt cups a day!). It's a bummer - and all I really want to eat is ice cream. :) I had planned on making meatloaf and green beans tonight anyways, so we'll see how soft meatloaf goes. I didn't think about the crockpot - that's a really good idea. I have a couple of chicken recipes that would work. And, of course, I'll be making more soup next week. :)
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options

LOL I vote that ice cream be a vital food group.

Seriously though avocado is nice and soft I think there is about 4 g of protein in one. You can also get ground flax and sprinkle on your salads. I drink chia seeds in water high in protein and omega 3's.